The story so far...

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

+1 to the great weekend comments. Saturday night in Bugman's was really sociable, and I played 5 new opponents which was cool. Wouldn't have minded a little coin, though!

Reason: ''
NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
littlejonnyfrostbite
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by littlejonnyfrostbite »

Hudson wrote:Totally agree, great weekend. lots of fun, loads of beer and loads of casualties. what more could you want?
The same but £30 (or less) like all the other 2 day tournaments out there :lol:

[url=http://www.terranovagryphons.co.uk]Terra Nova Gryphons[/url]
Hudson
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Hudson »

littlejonnyfrostbite wrote:
Hudson wrote:Totally agree, great weekend. lots of fun, loads of beer and loads of casualties. what more could you want?
The same but £30 (or less) like all the other 2 day tournaments out there :lol:
but you did get feed. PK&Q the sat night meal cost me nearly £20 then put a couple of subways on that and your heading to near the £50 mark. Foods not always great at the GTs but i'm happy to pay it as there is nowhere really near warhammer world to get anything to eat during the day

Most Casualties @ Poo Bowl 09 with 24
Most Casualties @ PK&Q 09 with 21
Most Casualties @ GT 09 with 28
Most Casualties @ Poo Bowl 11 with 28
Most Casualties @ ARRBL 13 with 30
SillySod
Eternal Rookie
Eternal Rookie

Post by SillySod »

A reasonable price. I think its great that the tournament brings in so many fresh players but its a bit irritating that GW dont seem interested in offering a fair price. I'd be interested to see the profit margins for the weekend, does it really cost them even close to £9460 (plus beer sales) to host the event?

Given that introducing new players and promoting the game is mutually beneficial to both parties its a shame that GW appear to be so lacking in generosity. This year they didnt even host the pub quiz :( In fairness to them though I seem to remember they donated some stuff to the Thrudbowl. Just frustrating that they dont show the same attitude towards sculpting a special GT star player or something. Hell, they could introduce a new star player model every year, hand them out during registration for the tournament, and then maybe release it for general purchase a week or two after the event.

A little willing would go a long way :)

Victim of the Colonel's car boot smash. First person to use Glynn's bath.
Update: the Hartlepool family Glynn now has a virgin bath.

Barney is a clever dog.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

SillySod wrote:A reasonable price. I think its great that the tournament brings in so many fresh players but its a bit irritating that GW dont seem interested in offering a fair price. I'd be interested to see the profit margins for the weekend,
The impression I got (and remember, the BB GT isn't a "stand-alone" tournament, it comes under the same umbrella as all the other tourneys they run), the Events team doesn't turn in a much of a profit by the end of the year.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Darkson wrote:
SillySod wrote:A reasonable price. I think its great that the tournament brings in so many fresh players but its a bit irritating that GW dont seem interested in offering a fair price. I'd be interested to see the profit margins for the weekend,
The impression I got (and remember, the BB GT isn't a "stand-alone" tournament, it comes under the same umbrella as all the other tourneys they run), the Events team doesn't turn in a much of a profit by the end of the year.
Hence the questionnaire at the end - "did you invest in a new team for this event?" "how much did you spend on it if so?". The tourneys are a way of firing up interest.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Hudson
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Hudson »

I did think there was to much scenery on the board though lol

Blood Bowl Nut
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Blood Bowl Nut »

Hudson wrote:I did think there was to much scenery on the board though lol
I did make very poor on the scenery box :D

Tournament Results:-

Thrudd Bowl 08 - 6th with Skaven
BB GT 09 - 26th with Dwarfs
Thrudd Bowl 09 - 6th with Dwarfs
ARBBL Open 2011 - 1st with Skaven
lemf
Veteran
Veteran

Post by lemf »

Totally enjoyed meeting all the BB players and this was my first tournament of any type, I had some really good games.

Highlight for me was surfing a Krox with a gutter runner. It ammused me.

If I can come next year then perhaps coco and an early night on Saturday would be a good thing.
I will try to join NAF at the Albion bowl.
Bye for now another FUMBBLer

Cheers
Rab
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rab »

Lycos wrote:Its true, its not the cheapest. There is no giveaway. But it was a great weekend.
My thoughts exactly.

Thanks to all my opponents, particularly Heinrich (orcs, game 5) for taking an absolute dice-rape with such good humour, for making it such fun for me.

[url=http://schwingaward.org/]SChWiNG[/url] Treasurer
Hudson
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Hudson »

lemf wrote:
If I can come next year then perhaps coco and an early night on Saturday would be a good thing.
No go drinking of friday till 3, then drink all saturday during the games followed by more drinking on sat night till 3. It's the way forward

dwarfcoach
The Best Dressed Man in Blood Bowl
Location: That odd twilight that exists 'cause you have only had 3.5 hours sleep

Post by dwarfcoach »

Hudson wrote: No go drinking of Friday till 3, then drink all saturday during the games followed by more drinking on sat night till 3. It's the way forward
I am definitely going next year, didn't realize how much I would miss it.

Absence makes the heart grow fonder, I will be back to terrorize my opponents, the ladies and the bouncers in that order... :P :wink: 8)

mubo
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mubo »

SillySod wrote:does it really cost them even close to £9460 (plus beer sales) to host the event?
Might not be as far off as you think. The food was good, probably worth ~£20 a head for 3 hot meals and desserts etc. Doubt they made too much cash on that.

The thing we forget is that the guys who run it are being paid. The guys who organise the various NAF tourneys put in loads of hours unpaid, and break their balls trying to keep the costs as low as possible for everyone involved. Which I think we probably have been taking for granted.

~
Thanks to all I played. Especially to C. who was a really good sport. Six games isn't enough for a 170 player Swiss. It was pot luck as to who made the final, had the tiebreaker been TD diff. rather than TDs scored it would have been very different. I'll take it though!

DeeTee
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DeeTee »

It was my first tournament and I'll definitely be back for more next year. Hopefully I'll get to a few more around the country this year too.

Some very good points about the price and giveaways. Yes it is a lot more expensive than other tourneys but the staff need paying.

Having a look around the shop there made me think...

Would it be a viable option for GW to give away a voucher.. say £5 to every entrant? Lots of BB players play other systems and even more use Fantasy or 40K miniatures in their teams. I'm sure a voucher would encourage many players to buy another box set at £18 or even some other bits and pieces.

I haven't done the maths on this so I don't know if it would be financially ruinous but compared to casting a new coin/miniature it can't be that bad.

Still, I had a great time - top people - great games - I'm one very happy BB-er!

Cheers

Danny

howlinggriffon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by howlinggriffon »

I don't suppose there was a whiff of Blood Bowl stuff for sale in the store, was there? They didn't stock up to get ready for increased sales, I guess?

Last time I was up at Lenton (December, I think it was) there was absolutely no BB stuff in the store at all. Very disappointing...