Sportmanship vs Team Composition

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

Mocaiv
Veteran
Veteran

Sportmanship vs Team Composition

Post by Mocaiv »

There has been a bit of talk about sportsmanship and team selection, but are not sportsmanship and team composition two different things?

Sportsmanship : being a good opponent, fun to play, does not throw his models out of pram when rolling double skulls...

Composition : Team balance and structure, inclusion of Star Players and Big Guys.

If the BB is to be split into different points scoring sections, what are these likely to be (based on previous tourney) and at what percentage?

For example: Results 50%, Sportsmanship 20%, Painting 20%, Playing on Sunday with a hangover 10%.[/b]

Reason: ''
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Re: Sportmanship vs Team Composition

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Mocaiv wrote:Sportsmanship : being a good opponent, fun to play, does not throw his models out of pram when rolling double skulls...
But surely throwing dice adds to the entertainment and should add to your sportsmanship? Eh DW? :wink:

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

I Agree entirely with the theory that Composition and Sportsmanship are two completely different things. However from some posts we've already seen that people with Star Players will be marked down on Sportsmanship.

I personnally will be judging on the quality/sportsmanship of the player i'm playing against rather than whether he's got a better Star Player than me.

Likewise i also concur that if everybody felt the same way then it would be unlikely that we'd see any other teams than Orcs/Human & Undead. With Griff/Zugs/ Morgs/Varags & Luthors.

I almost feel that i'm commited to taking a Star Player just to compete, as some Stars are so overpowered that they can win a game on their own.

The only solution IMO is not to have Star players in the tourney at all, in that way most of the teams will be balanced and the only issue then would be how to balance your standard teams.

Unfortunately in a Star player environment, too many races do not have access to a decent star player and as such start of at long odds.

Although credit where credits due Lizardmen won it last year, without any of the aforementioned star names.

Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

I know I've been one of the ones to bitch about stars. In WPS tournaments you have a proportion of the score go towards composition (this is a hangover from WFB scoring). If someone has allies I mark them down because that's what it's there for.

In the BB there is unlikely to be such a scoring system so I won't be marking anyone down.

What I will mentally clock points off for is having a star who isnt' dressed in team colours, or for a player who isnt' correctly represented. Dammit I get really picky about that one. That, of course, falls into the "making the game enjoyable for your opponent" category, which is how I define sporting behaviour.

PS - at least 2 of the rosters I'm considering include star players....

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Re: Sportmanship vs Team Composition

Post by Deathwing »

ianwilliams wrote:
Mocaiv wrote:Sportsmanship : being a good opponent, fun to play, does not throw his models out of pram when rolling double skulls...
But surely throwing dice adds to the entertainment and should add to your sportsmanship? Eh DW? :wink:
You should have seen the look on my opponent's face! Time stood still for maybe 3 seconds and then we both started laughing! :D
Better to let the frustration quietly build and then then clear it rather than bitch and moan all game.

Edit: Snipped a bit, got my opponents mixed up..or the 'hat kicking' incident confused with the dice-throwing incident... :oops:

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Slinky78
Star Player
Star Player

Stars

Post by Slinky78 »

Well, I haven't played in a tournament before so I suppose I speak without first hand experience, but from personal opinion and the amount of debate about it, it seems like including the option of stars isn't such a great thing. I'm inexperienced and taking orcs, and am beginning to feel that without varag I'll suffer, but taking him is a 'soft option' as he seems awfully good value. Quality blitzer + re-roll. True he can be killed or taken out, but still powerful. It seems a bit odd to have a 1million rookie team, which won't advance much (at all?) with some pre-made superstar stuck in the middle.
That said, those are the rules, so I wouldn't see why by simply playing within the rules I would want to deem my opponent unsporting, or being uncharacterful. Sportsmanship to me is more about enjoying the game, not being really anal about anything and everything, and of course letting me win....

Post by Guest »

McDeth wrote:
I almost feel that i'm commited to taking a Star Player just to compete, as some Stars are so overpowered that they can win a game on their own.
Interesting! I know some people who love "their" favored stars and will take them whenever there is a possibility. Thus I had the same feeling at first and asked myself what difference a star would make in my lineup! :o

Now, if they write '1.000.000 points, starplayers allowed, especially vampires', will people then basically think about Count Luthor because he is pointed out??? And do we we see thus more teams with him in the lineup?? :lol: :lol:

Weeekend speculations.... :zzz:

Sputnik

Sputnik
Loretta

Post by Sputnik »

aha, I have been degraded to 'guest' :evil: :evil:

Sometimes I praise the technical attainments of our times, sometimes I am a stupid slave of the machine. :cry: :cry: :pissed:

Sputnik

shaniepoo
Party Boy

Post by shaniepoo »

For example: Results 50%, Sportsmanship 20%, Painting 20%, Playing on Sunday with a hangover 10%.
I dont think that sportsmanship and painting shoul be used to determin the winner. They should have a seperate prize for them. You could win every game and not win just because you are not all that good with a paint brush.
The 10% for playing with a hangover i agree with! Il be out on fri and sat so im expecting a hangover or 2.
Star players im not to bothered about. I agree that really they shouldnt be used in a 1mil team but im not fussed. I may even take the W Wolf star player (is he in the LRB or just a jurnal?)

The Cutlery King - Winner of 6 Wooden spoons... and proud of each one! :D
Geggster
Eurobowl Superstar

Post by Geggster »

Just the journal I'm afraid.

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

Anonymous wrote: Now, if they write '1.000.000 points, starplayers allowed, especially vampires', will people then basically think about Count Luthor because he is pointed out??? And do we we see thus more teams with him in the lineup?? :lol: :lol:

Sputnik
Interesting!! Especially as i'm considering a Human team with Count Luthor!!!!! Did you read my mind

Sputnik
Loretta

Post by Sputnik »

McDeth wrote:
Interesting!! Especially as i'm considering a Human team with Count Luthor!!!!! Did you read my mind
No, but as I posted I had the 'same feeling' which turns out to be more and more the 'same'. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Sputnik

mr brown
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mr brown »

me too...my humans about 90% done...
luther in his matching kit looks cool... :D
im planning on making as many friends and contacts as possible.
Im not arsed about winning, just playing and having a laugh.
If any of my players score i might jump them in the crowd for a laugh... :smoking:
lombardi leap :lol:
take care all...
mr brown
owner of the cleaverland browns

McDeth
Legend
Legend

Post by McDeth »

problem is the human team i want to take has PHIL's FIGS Ninja' figs for the catchers and a couple of Sumo's for standard linemen, Now how the hell do i pass those of as conversions :wink:

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

One problem with the new rules is that: some stars cant exist...
Ok, this another thread but, if the player cant exist, he shouldnt be here.
a second thing is that there is good stars for some rares and some races without any...
Lets check the really good stars: Vampire,Griff,Bull Centaure, Varag.
And those teams can afford them.
So this kind of rules will give another less elf teams represented? idont think that it is cool.
you have great advantage to take those stars, FO4, blodge, or leader RR...
And the other race would get what? 2 linemen?...all that is about the rules.
But as i dont like a stars in a rookie TR100 team in a league cos this is unrealistic, i would think the same thing for a TR100 team tournament.
Even if i would like (maybe ) to play a Varag Orc team, i believe this is not really fair...

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/