The Bloodbowl - first time tourney questions

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

Slinky78
Star Player
Star Player

The Bloodbowl - first time tourney questions

Post by Slinky78 »

This may be better on the tournaments thread, but to avoid the wrath of asking a naive question....

Having never played in a 'proper' tournament before I was wondering what the format is likely to be? Just play six games and best overall results wins? Remember last time the report also mentioned marks for painting and sportsmanship. Also what intrigued me was the bit in the advert that said all coaches who complete their 6 games get a special model. Does that mean it's unusual to complete all 6 games?! Or am I just mis-interpretting? Hopefully some kindly vet can fill me in on the details.

Reason: ''
Princelucianus
Legend
Legend

Post by Princelucianus »

Last year (although I wasn't there) it went like this.
You pick your opponent for the first match and the results are handed to the ref's. You must have scored several points after that round, and you'll be playing against another person who scored (most probable) the same amount as you. The same goes for round 3-6. So, the best keep meating the best, the worst keep meeting the worst. In the end, sportmanshippoints (awarded by your opponents) and paintingpoints are added to the total.

I guess it's normal to finish your 6 games, but maybe some don't like the atmos and have blown there chances and leave????

Lucy
:smoking:

RCN: Keeper of the sacred dice
BigD
Star Player
Star Player

Re: The Bloodbowl

Post by BigD »

Slinky78 wrote:Having never played in a 'proper' tournament before I was wondering what the format is likely to be? Just play six games and best overall results wins? Remember last time the report also mentioned marks for painting and sportsmanship. Also what intrigued me was the bit in the advert that said all coaches who complete their 6 games get a special model. Does that mean it's unusual to complete all 6 games?! Or am I just mis-interpretting? Hopefully some kindly vet can fill me in on the details.
Well at the Resurrection Tournament this year it was 6 games as well and quite a few people didn't finish them all. There were also quite a few people that just didn't show. Somehow I don't think that'll be a major problem with this one though.

Its sold out already and people still want tickets. So hopefully more will become available. But I'll believe it when I see it.

This year the special figure was a Skaven Gutter Runner which was not bad. We're not exactly sure whats coming this year but have heard from one person its an Ogre Blitzer but the Ogre's aren't official figures yet so we'll see. Heard another rumour saying something completely different so just a wait and see I guess.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the tournament. Tonne of fun and meet some great people.

BigD

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

Hi Slinky78, and welcome - just a note to say that BigD and Lucy have probably got it right for now and GW will probably issue more directions to ticketholders early next year as a preparation step.

No question from a newbie to the forum is viewed as "Naive". If you have to ask then you need to know, simple really! :)

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

Most bloodbowl tournaments these days run in swiss format (winners play winners after each round); which, trust me, is absolutely nerve wracking for the guys on the top table.

There is no easy way to win a bloodbowl tournament other than win every game by the best margin possible.

Some tips though:

(1) Be happy and comfortable with the team you're playing. Don't pick a team because you think it will do well. Pick one you'll like playing with

(2) Know the scoring system. Does the system cap points for TDs or Casualties? if so, work to maximise your points every game. Sometimes it might benefit you more to get some extra casualties in than it will to score more TDs.

(3) Be courteous to your opponent. There a lot of people playing a lot of games. The atmosphere is much better when you take the time to make it easy for your opponent. Don't use fake sincerity but don't gloat either. You want to let them enjoy the game.

(4) Enjoy the game yourself. Have some fun with it. There's going to be 150+ people there and only 1 first prize. The 1st prize might not even go to the best player depending on how the point system works out. The best you can do, then, is to have some fun and enjoy every game. There's some great fun people out there playing this game and you'll get to meet at least 6 at the tournament.

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]