Thanks from the President....

All discusions for the upcoming NAF BB World Cup should be discussed here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

FischerKing
Experienced
Experienced

Post by FischerKing »

[France Bloodbowl] ZeBoss wrote:
Finaly bigup to topper and fisherking from the danish team that beat us so badly in the 5th round that we have only been able to finish 3rd! Next time dices will be better and I will punish you like the first time we met (I'm sure you remember it well Fisherking!) :)
There are certain blackouts in my bb carreer, one of them happened just a few hours ago, and I simply cant remember what happened after I logged on to fumbbl to play that fumbbl cup game, somehow my coach rating dropped like 10 points though....weird? Another one is a big black hole in my memory starting from the kickoff against your dorfs in badhomburg Eurobowl !! only thing I remember is, that you said my minis are cool :P

Anyway, allways nice to play against you guys, and....anytime anywhere ! :)

Reason: ''
kewan
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Great Tournament

Post by kewan »

Turin wrote: And specially for Carlos and Luca:
Kewan: "Peró hay más Españoles qué Panicos."
Off course 8)

Lorion
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lorion »

FischerKing wrote:
[France Bloodbowl] ZeBoss wrote:
Finaly bigup to topper and fisherking from the danish team that beat us so badly in the 5th round that we have only been able to finish 3rd! Next time dices will be better and I will punish you like the first time we met (I'm sure you remember it well Fisherking!) :)
There are certain blackouts in my bb carreer, one of them happened just a few hours ago, and I simply cant remember what happened after I logged on to fumbbl to play that fumbbl cup game, somehow my coach rating dropped like 10 points though....weird? Another one is a big black hole in my memory starting from the kickoff against your dorfs in badhomburg Eurobowl !! only thing I remember is, that you said my minis are cool :P

Anyway, allways nice to play against you guys, and....anytime anywhere ! :)
That's why you don't remember most of our individual games Lortespasserlootorolf. But it was nice of me to let you roll all your ones in our training matches, so you had that out of the way before the real tournament.

Sadly I still have to lear how to make casualties, maybe I'll try khemri next year.

Canales
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Canales »

FischerKing wrote: Special thanks to Les Azes Woodelf Player for a great woodie mirror, testing two great different styles of playing the woodies.
Could you please elaborate on that point? I love everything that smells like woodies, and would really like to know what rosters/skills you both were playing. :roll: :D

Looking forward to 4 more years of remorse until the next World Cup...

FischerKing
Experienced
Experienced

Post by FischerKing »

@ Gary Barlow
What training matches ? :P
Canales wrote:
FischerKing wrote: Special thanks to Les Azes Woodelf Player for a great woodie mirror, testing two great different styles of playing the woodies.
Could you please elaborate on that point? I love everything that smells like woodies, and would really like to know what rosters/skills you both were playing. :roll: :D

Looking forward to 4 more years of remorse until the next World Cup...
Sure, both rosters was kindoff the same solution as most had choosen: 3 Catchers, 1 Thrower (for fast leader because of the late double), 1 treeman, 2 wardancers and 4 linemen.

Styles was different though, as I mostly used a Catcher with sure hands as a fast thrower to pick up the ball and run out of range of the opponents, then the second turn or whenever I was forced to score, run up to make a quick pass, a handoff and a score. In pressed situations a short pass would also be possible and in one situation I was forced to do so vs Les Azes, being outnumbered a bit.

Marco Gianni ran the ball on a block catcher to form deep cages around the pitch and let the clock run a bit before scoring, allways leaving a couple of other catchers or linos in scoring possition that I had to spend energi covering, and anticipating my cagebreaking my attempts as best he could (not only 5 man cages, possitioning players to recover the ball as it would be knocked loose).
When I then attacked hes cage with all I got, he would play a blocking game to beat up as many of my players he could, especially targeting my strip ball wardancer, and that made alot of sense as that guy stripped the ball of hes catcher like 3 or 4 times during the game.
Idea would be that if he survived the initial attacks I would get outnumbered and poor possitioned, and that also happened, though I finally manage to recover the ball and score after a leaping of the cage at the time were my possition started to suck badly and I was down 2 players.
Ive seen that kind of play done with a sure hands wardancer, perfekt for woodie mirrors, but maybe taking the dancer off hes roll as a striker too much and none of us had gone that way though I thought about it for some time.

Skill choices differed some to fit our styles:
At the time of the play we both had leader on the thrower, strip ball and Frenzy on the dancers and Guard on a catcher (first double after game 7).
After the game I took block for my tree on the second double.

Then I had Kick on a lineman, Sure hands on a Catcher, Wrestle on a catcher and Dodge on a lineman.

He had Block for two linemen and block for two catchers. I dont know what he took next.

Both styles proved its worth I should say, as we ended up 2 and 3 :)

Lizardcore
Rookie
Rookie

Did u played against skavens ?

Post by Lizardcore »

because i think this is the hardest matchup with woodies.

Another example of comps is Kerrunch's one (same roster).

He played only 2 RR, no leader.

WD : strip ball and sidestep
Catchers : 2 Block / 1 Garde
2 Line Wrestle
Block on treeman
and kick on a lineman

I was playing skavens and i quiet easily scored (because i run as fast than him, and can use better baching players).He also scored easily in first half.

The game was close at the end of first Half, But at turn 11 he had 3 players out versus one for me (a gutter runner), so i could really make a good ball protection, and ball control him till the end)

Plus the fact that i systematically blitz his stripper-WD with my Wrestle lineman, to have him down.

Marco Gianni
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Marco Gianni »

Actually, I think the sure hand catcher is the good choice. At first, before the WC, I wanted to play without strip ball, considering that in 9 skills, almost all the teams would have one sure hand player. In fact, there wasn't so many

wrestle is also a good choice, instead of block on the two linemen.

Anyway I've also chosen block on the treeman for the last game ;)

I still wonder how I could beat you FischerKing ! :roll: maybe by killing your wardancer ? :lol:

Co-organizer of RUGBOWL
Results 2010
Pics

NAF WC Team Champion (Les Azes)
Individual Runner up
FischerKing
Experienced
Experienced

Post by FischerKing »

That would definately be a start :D

Actually I think strip ball is extremely usefull in these tourneys. Think of the undead team seing you dont have strip ball and giving the ball to their blodge ghoul...or in the woodelf matchups, without strip ball your opponent can cage very well against you and its just a pain to try and put preassure on him.

Im not sure I agree so much on wrestle on the linemen, nice to keep them on their feet. Took it for the catcher so he might be a thread to the opponent, with high movement and a blitzing skill. He had it for 3 games I think, and only got to use it when he rolled double both down against you. The one time I used him as a emergency blitzer in my last game, he just rolled a clean pow ! bitter waist of a skill :D

rodders
Legend
Legend

Post by rodders »

FischerKing wrote:That would definately be a start :D

Actually I think strip ball is extremely usefull in these tourneys. Think of the undead team seing you dont have strip ball and giving the ball to their blodge ghoul...or in the woodelf matchups, without strip ball your opponent can cage very well against you and its just a pain to try and put preassure on him.
I agree I only played 1 woodie coach with my lizzies in game 7 and was delighted to see 1 sidestep dancer and 1 with frenzy

Propping up the Chelmsford Bunker since 2010

NAF RTO southern UK
Canales
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Canales »

Well, thanks for the answers, they give me food for thought.

It seems to me skill choice depends on the country you play in — different countries, different styles, different races played...

For instance, in Spain catchers are usually given block, although I have been often tempted to try the Sure Hands skill instead.

Frenzy and Wrestle are not regular choices either, being replaced with Side Step (great for defending against bashers) and Strip Ball. The thing with Frenzy is that is both an asset as it opens up the sidelines and also a potential liability.

Was the tree really helpful? Would have it been better to replace it with a lino and another reroll?

FischerKing
Experienced
Experienced

Post by FischerKing »

I think the tree was really helpfull, in many games it would hold heavy players of the other team, and force from them dice against blocks and 4+ dodges. Also, its very nice to have it on the line instead of an av 7 lino. In fact, thats the main reason I take him ;)

It can be used for oneturn attempts when the opponent is much stronger and sets up well, making the first blitz that would otherwise be 1 dice or two dice against. It makes some cas also, and those are definately helpfull.
But ofcourse, I had a good tournament, so things generally worked out the way I planned them to. At Eurobowl he have been the master of tripple both downs :P

Btw. I dont know if there is a special style of playing woodies in Denmark, as Im allways playing them in tourneys and being allmost the only one. In a league or on fumbbl I would never take a sure hands catcher, but here he is really really usefull as he can pick up all loose balls, and save you rerolls on your offense.

pelle
Super Star
Super Star

Post by pelle »

I guess I was the only Wood Elf player without a tree. I had two Wardancers, four Catchers, five Lino's and three rerolls. Frenzy one one Wardancer, Strip Ball and Sidestep on the other, Block on all four Catchers, and Dodge on a Lino were my skills. With this team I ended in 12th place and scored most TD's, so I gues this is not a bad line-up. The only thing I would have changed might have been two times dodge on lino's in stead of the sidestep on the stripball guy.

Most Touchdowns @ NAF World Cup 2007.
The Goblin Slaughter Fest 2509 Champion.
Massacre Day III Champion.
Most CAS @ Oberonn Smack 2009
juergen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by juergen »

pelle wrote:I guess I was the only Wood Elf player without a tree
no not the only one, I had 2 wardancers, 2 catcher, 1 thrower and 6 lineman. took strip ball and frenzy on the Wardancers, sprint and side step for the catchers, leader for the thrower, kick, wrestle and 2x guard on liner

frenzy was very usefull getting players off the field and balance the numbers of players on the pitch. strip ball was nice but I played against alot of players who gave sure hands (or had it as startskill). Leader was worth it, I failed so many 2+ rolls...., kick also helped me a lot. The wrestle liner and the guards haven't helped much - they have been of the pitch pretty soon all the time.

Don't know where exactly I finished, but it was 5 wins 4 losses. In one bittersweet game i had 34 ko rolls of which 9 where successfull, but in this game I also scored with only 2 players left on the field.

Juergen

Creator of Elfball.org - the Elfball website officialy approved by Impact Miniatures
Marco Gianni
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Marco Gianni »

juergen wrote:I also scored with only 2 players left on the field.
2 wood elves on the field is one too many to score ^^

About the tree man : he has been very usefull for me, against Norses, Chaos Dwartves, Orcs and Dwarves. Thanks he didn't make blocks that sucks (triple both-down), despite I use to play him sometimes at the start of a turn... Against the Chaos dwarves my tree man was never alone. He's found friends (2 long beards and the Mino, almost all the match long !), and kept them close to him... He's in an affection quest !

Playing without tree man can also be a good choice, that permits to score much (as Pelle has proved it), but beware of the spank ! Linos are so fragile...

Co-organizer of RUGBOWL
Results 2010
Pics

NAF WC Team Champion (Les Azes)
Individual Runner up
juergen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by juergen »

Marco Gianni wrote:Against the Chaos dwarves my tree man was never alone. He's found friends (2 long beards and the Mino, almost all the match long !), and kept them close to him...
One tree to bind them.... :D

Juergen

Creator of Elfball.org - the Elfball website officialy approved by Impact Miniatures