Checking the warhammer World webcam now...

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

Mordredd
Super Star
Super Star

Re: My Two cents

Post by Mordredd »

Oblivion99 wrote:One big question - did anyone who used a ref (that term is used as a loose description in my view) notice them refering to a hard copy rule book!! I know i didn't.
I did. The only time I saw a ref called over to sort out a dispute the first thing he did was ask for a rule book.

Reason: ''
Mordredd's Apocalypse: the Old World's premier Dwarf Magnet. :-?
Geggster
Eurobowl Superstar

Post by Geggster »

Personally - I think the tourney was a real success.

The points scoring is pretty spot on - being rewarded for a win by 2 and no more doesn't adversely effect bash teams - but does reward those that win slightly more comfortably.

The balance between the 13/11/8/5/3 is also good too - spreading the field out well in a tourney that has twice the numbers of any other tourney.

The hall lay-out seemed to be immeasurebly better and made games far more enjoyable.

Sure - the shop could have been stocked up a little better, sure the food could have been a lot better. Sure - you could have even been given another 5 minutes to finish a game (I didn't get the chance of finishing Game Two when I was leading by one and odds on to score again), but Darkson is right (on the other thread) that with so many games going on, there has to be a cut-off and someone will possibly lose out. It's a tight time schedule and 2 hours should be enough. But it was a good weekend...... and many seem to lose sight of that, IMO, when castigating the evil GW empire.

What about the announcement each morning from the Marketing Manager, Che (I think)? That BB is a game and we play it for fun. Yep - it can be a bit tense sometimes and it's a high ticket price but we are there to enjoy ourselves. If there is something I'd like to see at next year's BB, then it's a little more comprehension of that..... It's not GW that sometimes ruin this hobby - it's more often the people that play it.

Don't mean to be so serious and not trying to upset anyone - but there were some pretty shabby scenes on a couple of occasions - and before anyone jumps on the GW tourneys attract more idiots discussion, I'm talking about otherwise sensible and respected people.

Geggster

Before you criticise someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when they find out, you're a mile away...... and you have their shoes.
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

On the whole it was a success. Better than last year without doubt.

There were some significant improvements - evidence they have listened to what the community has said.

However it doesn't mean there isn't room for improvement.

Some people are sounding a little like they despise everything GW stands for and their tournaments are evil. However I think most of us are reasonable enough to realise that organising a huge tournament like this is far from straightforward and mistakes are easy to make.

I would like to see the event run by people who truly understand what the BB community wants from a tournament i.e. players who play on the tournament circuit themselves. This is how the tournaments I have attended have been run and no such vitriol has been leveled at any of those organisers, on TBB or anywhere else to my knowledge.

It would improve things a lot and everyone would enjoy themselves that little bit more.

Of course, the question is whether the NAF, or anyone else for that matter, would be allowed total autonomy over GW's showpiece Blood Bowl event in their own back yard....

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
cluster
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cluster »

Well I am with Geggster (not litterally) - I had a fantastic time and it was great to put a few faces to names (alright Lycos). Managed to get the Dungeonbowl board out for a bit of a game in the evening too.

As far as refs go - well I think the most important question is why would you need to call one in the first place? If it goes that far then you have already lost - because whoever the decision goes against, that person will still believe they are right and the game is spoilt.

I think I questioned someone once. We both looked through the rulebook and sorted it out. I was ready to let that person go ahead anyway because it would have put a mark on what was a great game. if it really is that bad then dice for it.

I have played in over 20 tournies at GW HQ for one game or another and have never had to question a ref/umpire, I have always managed to resolve things with my opponent, even if I know deep down that they are wrong/cheating because they have to live with that at the end of the game. Winning a game that has bad feeling attached is not a victory - its just a result.

it's all about fun dudes, stop taking everything so seriously and picking at minor faults look at it for what it is - a bloody good weekend. It only happens once a year, soak it up. I think everything went pretty smoothly all things considered.

Peace out.

Magic Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Magic Dave »

Loony Toadquack wrote:On the whole it was a success. Better than last year without doubt.

There were some significant improvements - evidence they have listened to what the community has said.
i fully agree with that.

for me this year was better than last by a longshot.

yes workshop had listened to us about the space and they did something about that.

i only have one moan about one ref but other than that it was a good weekend.

also what happened to the most travelled coach award?

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Magic Dave wrote:also what happened to the most travelled coach award?
It was dropped, because I believe they got some bad press when they mistakenly gave it to the wrong coach a couple of years ago ("geography" and "ass" were used in the same sentence iirc), plus the fact that more and more overseas players come over, so how do they differeniate from coaches from the same town/city.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: My Two cents

Post by Darkson »

Oblivion99 wrote:One big question - did anyone who used a ref (that term is used as a loose description in my view) notice them refering to a hard copy rule book!! I know i didn't.
I did when Grotuk wanted something checked on fouling, but that was more because I wasn't sure I'd get my meaning across than not knowing the rules.

(No offence meant to Grotuk, more at the point that I have a tendency to talk to fast, so I'm not always the most understandable person [plus I was still slightly hungover! :lol: ].)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Igor Tahavanale
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Igor Tahavanale »

Well I had a really good time. It was my first BBGT, and maybe its my ignorance, but it all seemed alright to me bar a few minor issues (merchandising etc ).

I really don't get people's gripe with the food. Cooking for over 200 people (don't forget the workers) and people are complaining that
A) it seemed like a factory line or that
B)its not as good as my mums cooking... well ...

A) of course it is, and
B) everyone thinks that!

Its not a restaurant, its a canteen! If it bothers you that much go and buy a pub lunch. I suspect these people would be the first to complain if the GW put the price up to improve the food - "we didn't pay the ticket price for the food, we paid to play BB... blah blah blah moan moan moan".

Only Smarteez 'av Da Ansa
Jackhammer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jackhammer »

If you go on a weekday or a weekend with no event, the food tends to be better and obviously theres more choice cuz you pay by the item, but yeah when your putting together meals for that many people its never gonna be gourmet.

I think the measure of a good ref is maybe not his rules knowledge but his ability to settle disputes. I mean, lets be honest, i dont think theres another room in the world with as many copies of the rulebook all gathered together. The rules were there for the reading, the refs are really only there to make sure it all goes smoothly. Does anyone else see it like that?

Igor Tahavanale
Super Star
Super Star

I think that the referees should know the rules. Totally. Or at the very least know their way expertly around the rulebook.

I had a few issues over the weekend. I found the referees started to come over when they saw the rulebook out, and then went away again when they saw it was being settled in good spirits. That's the way it should be...

...especially if the refs don't know the rules :wink:

Jackhammer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jackhammer »

Igor Tahavanale wrote:I think that the referees should know the rules. Totally.
Why?

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

Darkson wrote: It was dropped, because I believe they got some bad press when they mistakenly gave it to the wrong coach a couple of years ago.
You don't need to be GW to get that wrong.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Igor Tahavanale
Super Star
Super Star

Why?
Would it annoy you when you know the rules, you're playing a complete plank who obviously hasn't got a clue, and then some bozo comes over and agrees with him when you could (given a chance) point to the rulebook and prove him wrong?

Arguing with the ref can get you in to trouble at the tourney. And how sickening if the guy didn't know his stuff and it cost you.

See the arguments springing up on this/other threads (can't remember) about refs getting it wrong.

Jackhammer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jackhammer »

Buuuuuuut

All the ref needed to do there was end the dispute.

Again, in a room full of so many rulebooks, all you have to do is find the bit that proves you right and present it to your opponent.

However, the ref can also choose an option that makes the game proceed smoothly. I dont know the exact nature of your quibble, but at the end of the day the refs decision is final, it says that in the rules pack and to be honest, theyre not full time proffesional blood bowl referees.

Jackhammer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jackhammer »

stick_with_poo_on_the_end wrote:Sputnick with the final beating Grotuk :D
what were the lineups for the two teams?