Checking the warhammer World webcam now...

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

Ithilkir
Legend
Legend

Post by Ithilkir »

I'm maybe mis-remembering about the wages part.... Brain had turned to mush by midday on Monday... more mushy...

Reason: ''
Cheers,
Stephen :: LRB 5.0 Background Editor
Blood Bowl 2005 & 2006 :: Winner of Most Casualties
The Lore of Nuffle :: The webs biggest BB flavour archive!
Torpor
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Torpor »

The GW staff were not volunteers in the sense that they did not get paid according to Brian, but were those who were available to work weekend shifts. According to the conversation, they did get paid and if NAF provided volunteers (as in unpaid staff) the money saved could be used elsewhere.

Helping other players' rankings since 2004...
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Ah - typical GW - using a word to mean something different to everyone else. ;)

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

There is also a distinct difference between:

1) The NAF providing unpaid volunteers for referees

and

2) The NAF providing volunteers for refs who can enforce NAF-made rules, not GW rules

Have GW said they'd hand over ALL of the organisation for the event, other than taking in money, to the NAF? We gain nothing if the NAF takes over but still have to hard enforce 2 hour limits or adhere to the usual concoction of errors in the rules pack.

Either the NAF gets full say on how the rules are made, enforced and promoted (and provide refs) while GW rake in cash or we continue to see GW rake in cash as they provide below standard organisation.

grotuk
Super Star
Super Star

Post by grotuk »

Indigo wrote:There is also a distinct difference between:

1) The NAF providing unpaid volunteers for referees

and

2) The NAF providing volunteers for refs who can enforce NAF-made rules, not GW rules

Have GW said they'd hand over ALL of the organisation for the event, other than taking in money, to the NAF? We gain nothing if the NAF takes over but still have to hard enforce 2 hour limits or adhere to the usual concoction of errors in the rules pack.

Either the NAF gets full say on how the rules are made, enforced and promoted (and provide refs) while GW rake in cash or we continue to see GW rake in cash as they provide below standard organisation.
Totally agree with you. A couple of NAF guys just to keep the rules right in the event will not help much...maybe a little...but not much.

Gumbo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gumbo »

Lycos wrote:Food. Was it great....er, no it was ok.
My 'beef' (excuse the pun) was not with the food itself just the rather clinical attitude there; it was like being back at school or on army rations. Rachel was starving and they couldn't do anything, it was ridiculous. But hey, im over it now :)

Indigo
Not Grumpy in the slightest

Post by Indigo »

Gumboo wrote:But hey, im over it now :)
Yet Rachel is still starving... ;)

If you really loved her you'd have given her your portion. So to speak. :-?

Jackhammer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jackhammer »

Am I the only guy that enjoyed the weekend? Or do people genuinely go just to have a new cycle of gripes every year? Organising and running a tournament for twenty people is complicated and stressful, let alone nearly two hundred.

Suggestions for improvements and that are ok, but its the acid with which people speak on forums that gets me. I've never seen people get so worked up about a game with goblins in it.

If its so utterly terrible and you hate it so, is it relly a good investment of your time and money to even attend?

I realise this is the internet equivelent of a green peace statement, but I really don't get the whole "Rrrrr GW" thing. I played some boring, cheating arsehole in the last game, but I dont blame evolution and genetics for him.

grotuk
Super Star
Super Star

Post by grotuk »

Jackhammer wrote:Am I the only guy that enjoyed the weekend? Or do people genuinely go just to have a new cycle of gripes every year? Organising and running a tournament for twenty people is complicated and stressful, let alone nearly two hundred.

Suggestions for improvements and that are ok, but its the acid with which people speak on forums that gets me. I've never seen people get so worked up about a game with goblins in it.

If its so utterly terrible and you hate it so, is it relly a good investment of your time and money to even attend?

I realise this is the internet equivelent of a green peace statement, but I really don't get the whole "Rrrrr GW" thing. I played some boring, cheating arsehole in the last game, but I dont blame evolution and genetics for him.
They are tourneys around Europe for 100 people and are runned much better...

Jackhammer
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Jackhammer »

still, just cuz there are area's for improvement doesnt mean that people have to chronically complain.

Young Jon played one of the spanish team early on and couldn't understand or follow the game. For him, that spoiled his second game, but he hasn't felt the need to take to the internet and spew negativity because on the whole, it was a good tournament.

Personally, I would have liked it if my fourth round opponent would have showed up on time so I didnt have to play a ref who was, in fairness, so far above my ability it wasnt even funny. Still, I had an awesome game with him and that was that.

What I'm trying to say is, why all the hostility? Lets be honest, if everything was super-awesome and not a single thing went wrong or turned out differently to the way you saw it in your head, just what the hell would people use the internet for?

Sharing of information? Bah humbug. Faceless registering of disgust to show how anti-establishment you are? that seems to be the one. Not that I'm saying people here slate the organisation to be anti-establishment or anything, that just seems to be the trend on the net. How many websites dedicated to the awe-inspiring coolness of stuff do you see?

I mean c'mon there must be something positive about toy soldiers that can be said or people just wouldnt do it.

hoomin_erra
Leek chewing thread Necromancer

Post by hoomin_erra »

Pretty much what brian said, was GW supply the venue, and deal with the catering. NAF runs the tourney.

A weirdo in a Bowler hat and a Kilt!!!!!
[url=http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb/index.php?mforum=teamscotlandbb/]Scotland's BB Forum[/url]

Lucifer is Broken!!!!
Xtreme
Mr. Zlurpee

Post by Xtreme »

Am I the only guy that enjoyed the weekend? Or do people genuinely go just to have a new cycle of gripes every year? Organising and running a tournament for twenty people is complicated and stressful, let alone nearly two hundred.
I think the gripes you are reading about are more from the frustration that every year there have been things that could have been done better. Ideas on how to make them better have been presented, and noone seems to listen.

ImageImage
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Jackhammer wrote:Am I the only guy that enjoyed the weekend? Or do people genuinely go just to have a new cycle of gripes every year? Organising and running a tournament for twenty people is complicated and stressful, let alone nearly two hundred.
GW not only charge much more than most other tournaments but they are supposedly professionals too who run large tournaments for gamers all the time.

I think people are much more forgiving of amateurs who are doing it all in their spare time. The fact that the amateurs do it better than the pros is one of the main sources of resentment.

Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Oblivion99
Rookie
Rookie

My Two cents

Post by Oblivion99 »

This was my first BB tournament, but I have done others at GW Lenton (mostly Warhammer Ancients).

My two pennies worth. The food is always dire, never going to get away from that ( as someone in the Military, continuously on the end of food cooked for the multitude in this day and age of penny pinching it is never going to get any better.

Buy it bulk, buy it cheap and cook it fast. Dont expect it to improve.

Again been to different tournaments with different rules. The people organizing the event never seem to know them extensivley as the majority of people playing the Tourney.

One big question - did anyone who used a ref (that term is used as a loose description in my view) notice them refering to a hard copy rule book!! I know i didn't.

Any enough gripes - nothing would spoil this for me as I was so luckily introduced and excepted by some stirling members of the Talkbloodbowl community and the BB touney scene as a whole.

"In was fantastic and it was a bloody good laugh!"

Highest placed Dark Elf team BB 2006

Magic Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Magic Dave »

to me it felt to much like being back at school :( and the bad cop good cop act that went on on the stage really hacked me off, i paid alot of money to play BB now just let me get on and lose.

and the refs face when he realised that i want to give the lad i was playing a chance to score when he told us to stop, and all the other guys from my club telling him he was talking out of his arse (pigstars words).

he must of thought that i was the one losing and i wanted to score, but if he had justed looked at where we were in our game then it would'nt of kicked off