TE EurOpen Team - Open for Nomination

Moderators: Purplegoo, TFF Mods

speedingbullet
Star Player
Star Player

Re: TE EurOpen Team - The Way Forward

Post by speedingbullet »

I think it was Besters who said in one of the many previous threads that perceptions are important.

Over the course of the threads various people have posted about TE and how it can appear from the outside to be dominated by a small core of coaches. Excellent coaches. Coaches that we should be and are proud of and who have won EuroBowls for us, for themselves too for sure but for us as well. However, there is a perception that it is all about that core group and you have to part of a small circle to get selected for TE.

It may well not be true but I believe that perception is still out there in parts of the English Blood Bowl community. Having a TE EO team is a way of widening the appeal of TE and encouraging more coaches to aspire to being part of TE, and more than that, not just to aspire, but to believe they have a realistic chance of TE participation. It is a step or two in the right direction. But asking the TE EB Captain, more often than not likely to be one of that core group, to be the sole selector of the EO team, could easily be perceived as a step back in the wrong direction.

In summary, allowing someone other than the TE EB Captain to select the EO team is not overcomplicating this, rather it is about ensuring diversity and encouraging wider participation and engagement.

Reason: ''
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Hello,

Not English so this isn't really any of my business, but as a several-time EurOpen player I'd offer my two cents (two pence?). Hey, I'm waiting on a flight to Gatwick and I'll be in your country for a couple hours tomorrow.

Anyway, it seems kind of obvious to me that the difference between Eurobowl and the EurOpen is that EO is... open. If many teams signed up for the EO with "Team England" in their name, would anyone be able to prevent that? And why would you want to? If there are several EO England teams, obviously whichever one places highest is the "real" one!
I guess the point is that this is what happens when you try to field national teams in an event not set up for it. Eurobowl is like the FIFA World Cup; I think EurOpen is more like Formula 1, where you can have multiple Mercedes or Ferrari teams for example. So I think whoever wants to call themselves EO Team England should do so. It'll sort out.

Anyway, good luck with whatever you go with, see you in Warsaw! And if anyone's in Gatwick tomorrow, look me up, likely at an airport pub in whatever terminal EasyJet flies out of.

--R

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
PeteW
Super Star
Super Star

Post by PeteW »

Dear English Community

Happy new year!

The TE Committee have been discussing the way forward for Team England EurOpen team, and we are in agreement about the following:

- The 3-person squad should be competitive, with an aim to win the event
- The squad will be part of an 11-person Team England, and will be fully involved in pre-EB discussion (rosters, tactics, planning for accommodation, shirts, flights, banter), as well as dinner in Poland and entertainment
- Selection will be made by the committee, with more or less work done by the captain, depending on their personal ability
- There will be an aim to use the squad as a route into the Eurobowl team, but it will not be restricted to people who have not played for Team England, as having a mix of experienced and less experienced coaches will be competitive, and provide a strong team
- If a committee member wishes to put themselves forward, then a separate discussion will take place without them present.

I'm happy to add that I am more of a 'Joemanji' than a 'Purplegoo' (no bald, bespectacled jokes please) and will be very happy to get involved with leading on the selection of the EurOpen squad.

I will announce the Team England Eurobowl squad on, or before Sunday 19th January, and will ask for self-nominations for the EurOpen squad at the same time, to close on 26th January. The committee will announce the EurOpen squad on (or before) Sunday 2nd Feb. This will give people time to plan their lives, or fix other EurOpen teams if they are unsuccessful.

NAFC 2014. Glowworm: "PeteW is definitely hotter than Lunchmoney."
Itchen Masack
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Itchen Masack »

PeteW wrote: I'm happy to add that I am more of a 'Joemanji' than a 'Purplegoo' .
What does this mean and why didnt you reveal this before the Election?! Might have changed they way in which I voted :P (i didnt vote)

Actually ignore, I bothered to read upwards after all lol

Just about being happy to be involved in picking EurOpen team and nothing sinister!

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Sounds good Pete, positive steps.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

Not everyone can be a Purplegoo. ;)

(I jest, clearly. Am also happy to see progress.)

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

I'm Joemanji and so is my wife....

;)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
PeteW
Super Star
Super Star

Post by PeteW »

Hello English Community

With the announcement of the 2020 Team England Eurobowl squad, the Team England Committee are now looking for three more coaches to complete Team England, and compete in the EurOpen.

Please nominate yourself in this thread, by midnight on Sunday 26th January. The Committee will discuss the nominees over the following week, and announce the chosen three a week later. (Note: if any of the TE Committee wish to put themselves forward, they will not be part of the decision process.)

The EO team will be competitive and is a great way to get into Team England. Please ask any questions here.

J_Bone
Super Star
Super Star

Re: TE EurOpen Team - Open for Nomination

Post by J_Bone »

I would like to put myself forward for the TE Europen team.

The brains behind the Double Skulls Podcast http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/

Beardman.
speedingbullet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by speedingbullet »

I’d like to be considered for the TE EO team too please.

TheRake
Rookie
Rookie

Post by TheRake »

I’d like to be considered for the TE EO team

#Top1AtLeast
PeteW
Super Star
Super Star

Post by PeteW »

Thanks to the three who have put themselves forward - anymore? Deadline is this Sunday!

That_There_Phil
Rookie
Rookie

Post by That_There_Phil »

I'd like to be considered for the TE Europen team.

that_there_phil

Leipziger
Legend
Legend

Post by Leipziger »

Last call for nominations! The nomination period ends today.

Twitter:@wormito
Waterbowl fb group https://www.facebook.com/groups/WaterbowlMcr/

Stunty Slam 14 - 10/09/22
Waterbowl Weekend 2023, Feb 18/19, NWGC

Team England Committee Member
douglowe
Rookie
Rookie

Post by douglowe »

If it's not too late, I'd like to put my name forward for the team?