Team England Charter Proposals *VOTING ENDED — SEE RESULTS*

Moderators: Purplegoo, TFF Mods

howlinggriffon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: Team England Charter Proposals *VOTING ENDED — SEE RESUL

Post by howlinggriffon »

For my part :

1) what makes you feel that way? To be honest, I'm not a good enough player. I am reasonably confident I can hold my own but I'm just not a player of a high enough caliber.

2) if the scope of Team England was broadened to include one or more Europen squads, would that change the way you felt? Probably not. If I was playing in a EurOpen squad (as I've done once before in Cardiff) one of my regular team-mates is Scottish and I think I'd rather stick on a team with him rather than switch to a new team of purely English players.

I'll always cheer on Team England of course!

Reason: ''
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Nippy Longskar wrote: To those that feel Team England is not for them, can I ask 2 questions?

1) what makes you feel that way?

2) if the scope of Team England was broadened to include one or more Europen squads, would that change the way you felt?
1) Have you seen my rankings and win rate? Never gonna be good enough. :lol:
And, My commitment to travel afar is non existent.
2) Not for me; there's always someone better and more prepared to travel.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Itchen Masack

Post by Itchen Masack »

1. Not good enough. I know (mostly) all of the recent Team England's and it's fairly obvious they are each individually better players than me, plus there are many other player around the country likewise who are ahead in the 'queue'.

2. Probably not. Cant justify to myself the cost of the events. Only got to Eurobowl the one time cause it was in Cardiff.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Agree that finding a way to formalize the Team England EurOpen team seems like a priority. I think having the EB captain select the team seems like a good way of doing so. More inclusive and offers a stepping stone to the EB team for those who might feel a bit intimidated.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Barney the Lurker
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Barney the Lurker »

Joemanji wrote:Agree that finding a way to formalize the Team England EurOpen team seems like a priority. I think having the EB captain select the team seems like a good way of doing so. More inclusive and offers a stepping stone to the EB team for those who might feel a bit intimidated.
My worry is that this is putting even more pressure on the captain. I think picking an 8 is difficult, let alone another 3. I feel that the captain has enough on his plate already.

Also would he pick the races too? Feels like with just 3 that the individual preferences come to the fore a bit more.

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Just to chime in briefly here - would you like to see any formal TE involvement with EO Barney? If so how?

(Feel at some point this could do with a separate discussion thread, though we do have a Captaincy election to sort first)

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Pipey

Re: Team England Committee Charter Proposals *PLEASE VOTE*

Post by Pipey »

sann0638 wrote:
Pipey wrote:Mike could you confirm how many votes last year? 50 is a bit of a guess to be fair!
Cheers Mike.

Barney the Lurker
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Barney the Lurker »

Pipey wrote:Just to chime in briefly here - would you like to see any formal TE involvement with EO Barney? If so how?

(Feel at some point this could do with a separate discussion thread, though we do have a Captaincy election to sort first)
Agreed that it may be worth a separate thread, maybe for next year. I do think its a tricky one on who/how chooses. Personally, I've come down on the side of the committee choosing a team from those who didn't get in to TE but still want to go as part of a EO team.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

For context, the French just had their captaincy election for the next Eurobowl and 243 people voted! :o

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

3^5 - stylish!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Pipey

Post by Pipey »

That's a remarkable contrast to be fair. Quite why I don't know. Anyone know what the wider French process is these days ie EB, EO, selection method etc.?

Wobert
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wobert »

I think in terms of EO, you need to decide it's purpose first. If it is an extension of TE and gives fringe players a chance to shine in the shirt then fine. If it's more 'fun' then that's a different story.

My view is that it should be the former of the above and not be a fun popularity contest.

In terms of make up of the EO team, it seems there's a number of options.

1. The TE captain picks EO team
2. Committee picks EO team
3. Either the TE Captain or Committee picks EO captain who then selects the EO team.

Timing is key with all of it, the earlier it's done the better.

deeferdan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by deeferdan »

Wobert wrote:I think in terms of EO, you need to decide it's purpose first. If it is an extension of TE and gives fringe players a chance to shine in the shirt then fine. If it's more 'fun' then that's a different story.

My view is that it should be the former of the above and not be a fun popularity contest.

In terms of make up of the EO team, it seems there's a number of options.

1. The TE captain picks EO team
2. Committee picks EO team
3. Either the TE Captain or Committee picks EO captain who then selects the EO team.

Timing is key with all of it, the earlier it's done the better.
Absolutely this. Option 1 would be great too, keeping the captain involved but reducing the burden slightly... would all need to be done at the same time too of course.

- deeferdan -

England NC
Midlands RC
Blood Bowling nomad

Beard man's foil http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/
speedingbullet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by speedingbullet »

I'll open a new thread for discussing the way forward for a Team England EurOpen team.

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Pipey wrote:Anyone know what the wider French process is these days ie EB, EO, selection method etc.?
They elect a captain as we do, although they use the alternative vote method. The big difference is that each captaincy candidate stands on a platform of their preferred selection method. There is no fixed methodology from year to year. So someone might stand on picking based on rankings, or winners of a qualifying tournament or just naming their eight coaches in advance. This year's winner Foxxx has gone for an iterative process where he picks someone, then he and his pick vote for a third person, then those three vote for a fourth person and so on (with captain breaking ties). Interesting to say the least!