Team England EurOpen feedback and thoughts

Moderators: Purplegoo, TFF Mods

deeferdan
Veteran
Veteran

Team England EurOpen feedback and thoughts

Post by deeferdan »

Hi all,

As the dust is now settling and Pipey is (presumably) sober again, I thought it may be of some use for me to share thoughts about my TE experience and how I think it could be developed for Poland 2020. This isn't only me speaking I've spoken with Alex and Hugh, though I'm sure they will add their thoughts if they feel the need.

First though I must say that we had a blast at the EurOpen, it was a really superb, convivial event and I was really pleased to be involved in what will (I hope) become a tradition for future European BB adventures. As a team we certainly felt included, so thanks TE for that, it was really nice that you guys kept popping over to see how we were doing and thanks to Lycos for the TE dice, and Nippy for getting the EurOpen thing going and for sorting the shirts. Part of me felt a little like maybe we shouldn't have had the stars on our EO ones, but maybe that may just be me being a bit over sensitive.

Regarding our performance, it is perhaps clear that we weren't the best picks to represent TE, though I hasten to add that this won't put me off from putting myself forward in the future. I just think it is a valid point that demonstrates the means by which we were selected to represent TE were pragmatic and appropriate for the time, but now need some development. My view on this is really the point in this thread. I'm really keen on a more explicit TE community through representation within the EurOpen, and it is clear from both Team Italy and Scotland's results that their wider squad were extremely pleased to be able to represent their nations in the EurOpen last weekend. How TE can make this work, and make it part of the TE selection process is a job for the new committee, but I'd love to see a fairly straightforward process similar to the following:

1) Those interested in representing TE put themselves forward via whatever channel of communication.
2) The TE captain selects a TE squad
3) From the remaining names put forward the TE captain then selects up to two TE EurOpen teams if possible
4) Those people selected for the EurOpen teams, then have the opportunity to accept the offer (it is reasonable to assume that some may only want to represent England in the Eurobowl) and the team(s) are formed on this basis.

The above is a pretty simple system, and I would hope that the limitation of two TE EurOpen teams maintains the status that those who are selected are deserving of TE representation. However, I would hope that it also maintains the perception that gaining a spot on one of the TE teams is an achievable aspiration, something that some have raised concerns over int he past. Understandably some may feel that two teams is too many, that's something for the the committee to decide, but I'm a strong believer that the balance of accessibility and ensuring that those involved warrant their place is the key to a successful TE community going forward.

I won't go on, but I'd be really interested to hear other's thoughts, and thanks again to the TE lads for making us part of your SEVENTH Eurobowl Championship.

Reason: ''
- deeferdan -

England NC
Midlands RC
Blood Bowling nomad

Beard man's foil http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/
kyrre
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Team England EurOpen feedback and thoughts

Post by kyrre »

/offtopic

Hi deeferdan,

You guys were a cheerful bunch and one of my favourite match-ups. I am quite happy that my Kroxigor did not rob molusmaximus of a well deserved victory. Great ambassadors for England! I hope to play you again sometime in the future.

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

Seems a sensible take on it all, I agree with your suggestion on future selection - this year’s one seemed very bogged down in a variety of politics and process.

I just hope the interest in Team England (and the tournament/s as a whole) continues for future EuroBowls that don’t take place on our doorstep. As several of the TE guys, past and present, mentioned during the conversation, people willing to travel and give up that time (and money!) should be frontrunners for this kind of thing, not those who jump on a bandwagon ‘cos something’s just down the road (that last bit is more me than the TE folks, obvs).

Looking forward to seeing what the committee do, moving forward. I didn’t vote, but hopefully all the preamble will now lead to something. I’m not sure what they can do to better the team though - improving on seven EuroBowl wins is a tough proposition - an eighth win, I s’pose! :wink:

I wonder if all the forum chat prior to the tournament had an impact on the team (inc. you guys); either giving them inspiration, something to prove or just a distraction from the task in hand.

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
Barney the Lurker
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Barney the Lurker »

Thanks for your thoughts Dan. I'd like to start out by stating that I'm personally not too interested in representing TE at EB or EO. I'm just not that interested at the high level competitiveness, but also I don't hate it and am more than happy to encourage and support those that do.

At the start of this years EO process I was a supporter of the TE captain just picking another 3 for the EO team. However after speaking with Dave and Phil over the last few months about how they approached the captaincy and how they selected the TE team I've now actually changed my mind. There is already a huge pressure on them to pick that team and what races everyone takes. I'm not sure it's fair to put more pressure on them to select one or even two more teams.

My choice would be for the TE Committee to take on the role of picking the teams from the remaining candidates, who are happy to represent TE at the EO. As the TE captain is part of that he could still give his opinions, but would not have to bear the full responsibility.

deeferdan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by deeferdan »

kyrre wrote:/offtopic

Hi deeferdan,

You guys were a cheerful bunch and one of my favourite match-ups. I am quite happy that my Kroxigor did not rob molusmaximus of a well deserved victory. Great ambassadors for England! I hope to play you again sometime in the future.
That's great to hear thanks Kyrre. My round 1 draw against Thernlow and his Necro was one of my favourite games of the weekend, entertainingly tense and played in a great spirit.

- deeferdan -

England NC
Midlands RC
Blood Bowling nomad

deeferdan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by deeferdan »

@Barney good shout on the selection process. To be honest that concerns me less than a reassurance that this sort of thing will continue. Hopefully I'm not incorrect in thinking that we demonstrated that there is some "value" in formally broadening TE representation, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the committee take it forward.

- deeferdan -

England NC
Midlands RC
Blood Bowling nomad

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

I know I said this elsewhere in the forum, but I really enjoyed popping over and seeing how the TE three were getting along. I tried to get around all of the English, but it was great to see the three of you in a shirt. I think this was a successful experiment, and hope it happens again in Poland.

howlinggriffon
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by howlinggriffon »

As someone who was in the EurOpen tournament, I found that due to the timings I didn't get to speak to anyone in the EuroBowl TE team as we were playing in what felt like different time zones! Having a TE team in the EurOpen meant there was always a chance to pop over and cheer you on. I don't think the results mattered that much - you guys were great ambassadors for TE. I've seen the photos where you were all shoulder to shoulder with your opponents which was brilliant.

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Thanks for the thoughts Dan and all. I am just about sober though I haven't woken up yet :lol:

Speaking personally I think EO is something the Team England Committee should be looking at. We haven’t got to the detail yet but will do soon. (Indeed I am hopeful that some time soon we will be able to give the community a general update about what we have been discussing)

For a while now I (again personally) have been interested in the idea of a Team England “squad”, or some way of willing EO candidates being selected for an EO Team England. This year was an after-the-fact thing which worked well enough. Good to get it rolling but I think it could be done better with proper planning and structures.

All of this aside, EO is a fantastic event, growing as quick as any I can think of around Europe. It would be great to see England do well and win it, and would be as strong a statement about English BB, and the strength of our community, as our EB wins.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Nippy Longskar
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nippy Longskar »

Great to hear all this feedback. Also really like the idea of a TE 'squad' and hope it's something that can be driven through to next Euros and beyond.

That's huge
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

I'd support it as well. I'm sure that for the EurOpen you could easily field A, B and even C teams - we have the depth.

Whether that is desirable is a completely different question.

Wulfyn
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wulfyn »

We'll need to wait to see what the committee proposes for TE selection as a whole, but for what it's worth I also support the idea of a TE squad. We keep saying that TE is more than just the 8 in the EB team, and what better way to demonstrate that we mean this than by cementing this?

There are lots of ways to potentially pick the squad so I don't think we should worry too much about the details at this stage. More a show of general support that this is something we want the committee to look at.