Official England EurOpen Team at Cardiff and beyond

Moderators: Purplegoo, TFF Mods

Lycos
Da Ex-Boss

Re: Official England EurOpen Team at Cardiff and beyond

Post by Lycos »

Leipziger wrote: Geoff I don’t think Dave is opposed to a single team, I thought Bren was saying Dave didn’t feel he should pick it?
This. It was hard enough picking a final 8, there were worthy candidates who could have made the team but alas, any captain has to select a final 8. I dont believe that myself, or any future captain, should then have to make another pick for an EO team. Just my opinion.

I certainly dont oppose the idea of such an EO team and I am very firmly behind an inclusive TE community, but at the moment, I dont quite see what the purpose of such a team is? I am very open to being sold what I am missing though!

Reason: ''
TFF mod team
speedingbullet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by speedingbullet »

Ok, a slow work day so I'll dip in to the debate again. Starting to feel like these discussions have gone on too long .… but also that they need another push to produce a result. Hopefully we won’t fail with the final GFI!

I've just had a quick flick though the posts. A few thoughts:

An inclusive Team England community is a strong theme. This can be achieved in part by making Team England shirts available for purchase to anyone going to the EurOpen who wants one. A bit like being able to buy football shirts or rugby shirts.

An inclusive community feel around Team England is also furthered by other activities such as training events (e.g. Pipey’s EuroCup) and sharing accommodation plans, travel plans, social plans etc.

Cap numbers are given to EuroBowl team members only. EuroBowl team members may also purchase Team England shirts (and are encouraged to do so) and for these 8 shirts the cap number is incorporated into the shirt design.

The shortlist of options that should be voted on related to an official Team England EurOpen team now appears to be:

1. One team is selected to be the official Team England representative in the EurOpen
2. Team England do not submit an official team for the EurOpen

For this year (2018, Cardiff), if Option 1 above is selected, captains of English EurOpen teams should propose their pre-formed team for selection and then the community can vote to choose the team.

For future years, when we can be more proactive about this, there is a further debate to be had as to whether the EurOpen team should be selected by an individual (e.g. the Team England Captain) or whether a similar selection arrangement as above should be chosen.

There is another debate on Team England selection for the EuroBowl (future years, already chosen for Cardiff) that has stalled. If I recall correctly, that debate had two main points of view. The first was that the captain should select the 8 from his subjective knowledge of our coaches. The second was that some of the 8, perhaps up to 3, should be selected objectively based on results (exact method TBC). Having a Team England in EurOpen could allow these two points of view to be merged. i.e. to get to a pool of 11 coaches a results system could be used to select 3 coaches. Then the captain would subjectively select another 8 coaches. This gives the pool of 11. The captain (presumably, although it could be done in a variety of other ways e.g. by a panel) would then choose who from the 11 plays EuroBowl and who plays EurOpen.

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

This sounds like a fair summary. Think Nippy was going to progress things soon re the EO TE option, whichever direction seems most popular. Agree next time we should have the advantage of being able to discuss things in advance.

The other thread ("calling all English coaches") yeah that needs some direction too. Those themes (subjective selection vs qualification vs a combination) were certainly prominent, among others.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Nippy Longskar
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Nippy Longskar »

Ok folks, I think this discussion has run its course.

Based on the two voting options in terms of what to do this year, it seems like Option 1 is the favourite, albeit numbers have not been spectacular (11 in favour of Option 1, 5 in favour of Option 2 or no firm preference)

As such I think we should move onto the next stage of this option, which is for captains of EurOpen teams with 3 English coaches to put their team forward if they would like to be considered in the vote for EurOpen team England 2018.

I'll create a fresh thread now and post about how this will work.

Cheers everyone that got involved and had their say.

That's huge