Feedback 2019

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

scs.sam
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Feedback 2019

Post by scs.sam »

I have no new feedback - Having been to all the nafc's at the EMCC I would agree that the lunch is much improved and the day one start was much smoother than in past years.

One query though - is there an ETA on the rankings going up? I had my highest placement this year and I keen to see the results.

Reason: ''
PurpleChest
Rookie
Rookie

Post by PurpleChest »

On the tables:

This was perhaps the one aspect i do think needs sorting, the rest are nice to have for me, but one table was truly awful to play on.

Either individual covers for tables, and accept slightly less density of boards (im not surw we should be bridging table gaps anyway), or they need to wrap the tables correctly (as an actor, many years or corporate servicing in my youth) and/or use table cloth pins. Both of these should need no cost increase from the venue, simply better specifying as to set up when negotiating the venue. If this proves impossible then boards under key mats would improve things a good deal.

Food was poor but adequate.

More social media and tech support would be cool, but the NAF site worked well and information flowed freely and loudly.

PeteW
Super Star
Super Star

Post by PeteW »

CStunt wrote:Despite the worst record I've ever had while trying to win and constantly being drawn against Tier 1 teams in the process, it was a lovely weekend. My 5-1 drubbing by PeteW was my favourite game!

As others have said the tables are an issue, I might bring my board next time for when it gets too bad.

I know it's not something the tournament team had a hand in, but whoever decided that a white chocolate twix should be in every lunch bag on the sunday should be shot.
Glad you enjoyed it! Maybe next year I'll take goblins and you can return the favour. ;)

NAFC 2014. Glowworm: "PeteW is definitely hotter than Lunchmoney."
Jimjimjimany
Chopper Pilot

Post by Jimjimjimany »

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Already there's some stuff in here we can improve on; but i'll throw by thoughts below on what we can work on best and the whole ref team are happy to look at anything that could improve the event!

Capes - I believe these have been misplaced :o Does anyone know where the capes are? They've been a favourite feature of the NAFC for me for years so we will see some sweet capes in 2020.

Social Media presence - You're all right there is no reason we can't have bigger better sooner coverage and we will do this next year.

Venue "features" - Food, Screen/Projector and Tables. This is feedback the NAFC has had for years and the unfortunate answer is we are very limited in what we can do at the venue. The tables are the only ones available, and the food is the only realistic option* and the screen/projector is an expensive addition (we can't bring our own, that'd be a bit cheeky!). Like a lot of people I've been to events that have had projectors and they've been great. If there is a strong desire to use this we can look at how much it will cost, but no promises!

Tiering - Happy to hear all discussion on this. The NAFC (and it's spiritual precursor the Blood Bowl) have always been light on this; but if its something the majority of attendees would prefer then we'll do it.

Pre-registration. Similar to tiering, if this is something the people want then we will give it to them. It would make the event run smoother, but it is something not everyone likes (I spoke to many people in the bar on saturday night who hadn't decided what they are using yet).

I'm happy to say it looks like Dan, Alex and I will be back as part of the ref team next year, so if you don't want to post feedback on this thread for whatever reason please just PM one of us and we'll take it all on board.

*I enjoyed my first white chocolate twix but the subsequent ones were no good.

I have the con.
PeteW
Super Star
Super Star

Post by PeteW »

Tiering. I would like to see a return to the TV1000 or TV 1050 where you can pick one skill before each game after you know your opponent.

Prize to go to the best Young Coach, as suggested above. Super idea. Not that I have any interest... *whistles*

Not massively bothered by a projector or not.

Food fine for me.

Tables not a massive deal for me either.

Registration was fine - easy for me.

Capes - must return.

Good job refs - no need to change those either. ;)

NAFC 2014. Glowworm: "PeteW is definitely hotter than Lunchmoney."
besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

Interesting feedback, major issue for me is the tables, I like white chocolate, it was the blueberry muffin on day 1 I passed on. But I know there were people who liked that. Day 2 food was better than day 1.

Is it possible to get coffee available on arrival?

I will be bringing a board next year to help with the tsble issue, but overall I like the venue.

Hobnail
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hobnail »

Re: the tables. Yes they are inadequate - possibly amongst the worst tables I've had to play on - but I accept that those are the tables the venue has to offer. However, for the second year running, I took a GW board with me which bridges the gap quite acceptably. None of my opponents objected and all of my games went without being affected by the tables. My only surprise is that I didn't see more coaches doing the same.

Winner - Caerdydd Cup (2019)
Most TD - Exiles (20)(2015), Exebowl (10)(2017)
Stunty Cup - Welsh Open (2016,2019), Exiles (2016), CakeBowl (2019), GertBowl (2019)

SWTC Stunty Champion 2016, 2019
Most Casualties - Elflympics (27(net 25))(2017)
Wotfudboy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Wotfudboy »

I liked Purplegoo's summary above and agree with most points.

I'm not going to go over same points as mentioned above as they have been answered. The NAF Champs is already of a high standard thanks to the organisers and people on the day.
However, in a quest to always improve something;

1) My blog mentioned unpainted teams. I understand that painting teams can be seen as an obstacle to entering Blood Bowl to some... however, I see the NAF Champs as a big important date in the Blood Bowl calendar and I think that coaches should be required to field a team that has got at least three different colours on the miniatures for such a major tournament. Bare metal teams, or just base-coated is not good enough in my humble opinion. The NAF Champs Rulespack does say "and are painted" but I think this needs either enforcing or making more prominent in the rules. Some wealthier coaches who don't like to paint can always pay to have teams painted. Some should be able to spray coat their team, dry brush them and maybe add a spot of colour here or there. Maybe starting a "borrow teams" thread on TFF for new players for the weekend. I have seen responses to my Facebook posts on this being picked up, but I wanted it officially here too!
2) Telling players apart. I was (to a point) guilty of this myself. I didn't do this: https://www.thenaf.net/blood-bowl/rules/conventions/ for my Dwarf team, and I should have done - I normally do where applicable... I did paint my Blitzers differently to the linemen, and the models are 'different' for positionals but it may be worth highlighting best practise for coaches to prepare for the weekend.
3) I wasn't clear on the car parking / payment stuff (I'm still not). I was at a different hotel and parked in the 'top' car park. However it was only when I left that I saw ticket machines etc, so I really hope I don't get a ticket in the post!... especially as I couldn't easily get out the car park on Sunday night as the barrier was down and a number of us were pressing the button to let us out!
4) I suggested maybe instead of lots of spot prizes (all of which I think I mostly ignored/didn't really pay attention to), have a small award for the highest placed race. This might encourage more diversity? (I know, coming from a guy that took Dwarves!).
5) I didn't really navigate the NAF site very well for round draws etc. I felt lost without a link to a dedicated page. In the end I relied on the print outs and/or friends who found the page to show me! Maybe the link could be popped into the Rulespack too? or advertised more on the day?
6) NAF have produced dice and great little tokens over their history? Do you think this will ever be merchandised in a form of a back catalogue... I for one would like multiple metal NAF reroll tokens and a bigger metal ball token for instance and it would be a great way to support the NAF too! Dice could be left as the renewal gift alone?

That's my lot! Thanks again everyone.

besters

Post by besters »

[quote="Wotfudboy"]3) I wasn't clear on the car parking / payment stuff (I'm still not). I was at a different hotel and parked in the 'top' car park. However it was only when I left that I saw ticket machines etc, so I really hope I don't get a ticket in the post!... especially as I couldn't easily get out the car park on Sunday night as the barrier was down and a number of us were pressing the button to let us out!

I wondered why I got stuck in a queue, but there was a notice with the pass code at the venue. Obviously not large enough though!

I had already checked, there was no booking in of cars required!

20phoenix
Super Star
Super Star

Post by 20phoenix »

Wotfudboy wrote: 4) I suggested maybe instead of lots of spot prizes (all of which I think I mostly ignored/didn't really pay attention to), have a small award for the highest placed race. This might encourage more diversity? (I know, coming from a guy that took Dwarves!).
I like this - it's done in fantasy tournaments also.

Agree with point about spot prizes - i'm very focused during games and often don't absorb announcements being made around me.

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

Hobnail wrote:Re: the tables. Yes they are inadequate - possibly amongst the worst tables I've had to play on - but I accept that those are the tables the venue has to offer. However, for the second year running, I took a GW board with me which bridges the gap quite acceptably. None of my opponents objected and all of my games went without being affected by the tables. My only surprise is that I didn't see more coaches doing the same.
Wasn't at the NAFC this year unfortunately, but I gather that the setup was the same as previous years. The two main complaints seem to be that the double tables are too wide to be comfortable and that the table height not being perfectly aligned causes issues. Have we ever considered going with a single table with the board setup horizontally FUMBBL style? Yes, I know that may be heresy to some and cause even more complaints, but wondered if it had been looked at?
Would rolls of thick felt or lino laid over the tables help with the alignment issues? I accept that there would be an initial outlay required, but it doesn't look as if the NAFC is moving venues anytime soon.

Wotfudboy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Wotfudboy »

besters wrote:I had already checked, there was no booking in of cars required!
Thanks Jim! Good to know!!

straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by straume »

Vanguard wrote:Have we ever considered going with a single table with the board setup horizontally FUMBBL style? Yes, I know that may be heresy to some and cause even more complaints, but wondered if it had been looked at?
I suspect such a move would make the feedback thread an entertaining read of massive nerd rage :D

20phoenix
Super Star
Super Star

Post by 20phoenix »

straume wrote:
Vanguard wrote:Have we ever considered going with a single table with the board setup horizontally FUMBBL style? Yes, I know that may be heresy to some and cause even more complaints, but wondered if it had been looked at?
I suspect such a move would make the feedback thread an entertaining read of massive nerd rage :D
I'd be leading the charge :D

Tojurub
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Tojurub »

20phoenix wrote:
straume wrote:
I'd be leading the charge :D

Nuffle Sucks! Heretic, NBA
www.biboba.de