Feedback 2019

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Re: Feedback 2019

Post by Joemanji »

Wotfudboy wrote: I suggested maybe instead of lots of spot prizes (all of which I think I mostly ignored/didn't really pay attention to), have a small award for the highest placed race. This might encourage more diversity? (I know, coming from a guy that took Dwarves!).
Be careful what you wish for! Having sat through 26 additional awards being given out at other tournaments, I can assure you that this would cause nothing but complaints. :wink:

Reason: ''
*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Guess this could be done by reading aloud a list of 26 with brief gaps for applause (might take 3-5 minutes?) and not asking everyone to come up. If there are funds for a small trophy, they could be collected after the awards? More admin? Yes obviously :)

I wasn't there of course...

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Wotfudboy
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Wotfudboy »

Yeah, just reading out a list of a max of 26 coaches to come to the stage after the award ceremony and pick up a 'reward'.
Not expecting each to get up on stage and thank "all the little people" :)

deeferdan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by deeferdan »

I'm not opposed to the racial awards - though I think the length of the ceremony at the end was spot on, even with Yogi's speech!
I would however be very averse to stopping spot prizes. The joy they brought to some cannot be expressed in words - though we could perhaps consider advertising what the prizes will be somewhere obvious at the start of each day? (I think Alex does this at Waterbowl?)

Can I just give a bit of feedback from a reffing perspective and say thanks to everyone for being ace. Moans were VERY infrequent, you were all super patient, and no one asked any really hard questions :D
Interestingly the most regular question was how to resolve a total pitch clear, some of the cas counts over the weekend were terrifying!!

- deeferdan -

England NC
Midlands RC
Blood Bowling nomad

Beard man's foil http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/
Gritter_
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Gritter_ »

Brilliantly run tournament guys!

I only have the one piece of negative feedback and it has been mentioned many times already... but those tables man!
I dont suffer from a bad back/neck but by the end of day one, I was in real discomfort.

Someone wrote they are double tables underneath... could we not get away with single tables and smaller boards as opposed to the mats? Id settle for some overhang (and risk that poses to pieces moving) compared to the discomfort.
It was joyous in comparison to get on the streamed table day 2, despite my not so great play on it! hehe

ps, would be interesting to see how much of a difference in price the projector makes given its split 190 ways - be easier to put the draw up on for rnds and a timer etc as others have said.

pps, The white choc KitKat really divided the field in lunchtime chat. Some felt they were an abomination but I am going with taste sensation :)

speedingbullet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by speedingbullet »

My impressions of the NAFC were massively positive as always. However, I do agree with some of the other posts re small things that could perhaps be better:

1. It would be nice to be able to get a drink (a nice cup of tea for me!) on arrival on the Saturday morning after a longish journey
2. Use of the big screen (e.g. for round draws and as a countdown clock) would definitely be a plus if it is reasonably affordable
3. The width of the double table is undoubtedly uncomfortable for some to play on, I was aware of the stress on my back for much of the weekend and I don't have a bad back.

I like the idea of Best of Race recognition. Doesn't even have to be an award, just the recognition could be enough and may well lead to more coaches playing lesser selected races without any change to the tiering. There aren't many tournaments where this is a possibility but with around 200 coaches this could work at the NAFC. Getting 26 coaches up on the stage at once might be tricky but you could bring people up in tiers i.e. get the tier 1 Best of Race coaches up, then the Tier 2 Best of Race coaches and then brace for the huge cheer for the Tier 3 Best of Race coaches!

Has anyone reflected on the tiering in comparison to last year? I haven't but my impression is that it worked out reasonably well? We still had lots of Human and Necro choices but we had more of the "lower" tier 1 teams?

Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

speedingbullet wrote: 1. It would be nice to be able to get a drink (a nice cup of tea for me!) on arrival on the Saturday morning after a longish journey
2. Use of the big screen (e.g. for round draws and as a countdown clock) would definitely be a plus if it is reasonably affordable
3. The width of the double table is undoubtedly uncomfortable for some to play on, I was aware of the stress on my back for much of the weekend and I don't have a bad back.
4. Less Pitch Invasions. :lol:

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
speedingbullet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by speedingbullet »

Jip wrote: 4. Less Pitch Invasions. :lol:
The second one was outrageous .... but lots of fun! :lol:

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Jip wrote:
speedingbullet wrote: 1. It would be nice to be able to get a drink (a nice cup of tea for me!) on arrival on the Saturday morning after a longish journey
4. Less Pitch Invasions. :lol:
I'm not going to tell you again!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Great tournament, thank you to all involved in setting up & running it.

some form of hangover relief on day 2 would be greatly appreciated, i usually just carry on drinking but had to drive :wink:

Seriously tho' well done to all!!

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

Echo all the above.
The white chocolate twixes were an abomination.
I think that the team should go to the top placed youngster.
I think failing that it is a random draw, the winner is going to have every team anyway, give it where it will more likely be appreciated.
other than that it was all good.

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.