Feedback 2019

Moderators: lunchmoney, Jimjimjimany, Boneless, deeferdan, TFF Mods

Stig
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Feedback 2019

Post by Stig »

That would make them go weak at the knees! So many young bloods were using borrowed/school teams it would make a huge difference. Plus they only have pocket money so they only get new teams on at their birthday or something.

My minor suggestion would be to position best painted facing the windows where it gets the best light; right where the TZ commentary box was. This year it was in the darkest corner of the room with two broken lamps overhead. And to do the judging on Saturday before the teams pick up any chips, scratches etc.

But thank you again for a super tournament, really enjoyed it. Its great to catch up with everyone again. The kids were buzzing all the way home.

Reason: ''
Hobnail
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hobnail »

I think the painted team rightly goes to the winner....however, I think it a great idea that something similar be done for the young blood winner seeing as there are so many of them these days. What if someone were to organise a Legacy team to be presented to the young blood winner?

Winner - Caerdydd Cup (2019)
Most TD - Exiles (20)(2015), Exebowl (10)(2017)
Stunty Cup - Welsh Open (2016,2019), Exiles (2016), CakeBowl (2019), GertBowl (2019)

SWTC Stunty Champion 2016, 2019
Most Casualties - Elflympics (27(net 25))(2017)
Tojurub
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Tojurub »

Hobnail wrote:What if someone were to organise a Legacy team to be presented to the young blood winner?

The World Cup IV Orga team will donate a resin Thornpear Valleyshocker miniature team, including Coaching Staff to the 2020 NAFC for the best young blood winner....but only under the condition that it will NOT be a legacy team, but if we can find a talented painter, who will paint the 20minis to a good standard.

Nuffle Sucks! Heretic, NBA
www.biboba.de
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Tojurub wrote:
Hobnail wrote:What if someone were to organise a Legacy team to be presented to the young blood winner?

The World Cup IV Orga team will donate a resin Thornpear Valleyshocker miniature team, including Coaching Staff to the 2020 NAFC for the best young blood winner....but only under the condition that it will NOT be a legacy team, but if we can find a talented painter, who will paint the 20minis to a good standard.
Amazing! Calling Thor...

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
king_ghidra
Experienced
Experienced

Post by king_ghidra »

As another first-timer:

Agree with the comments re the table gap and curled board edges - there were many reroll tokens migrating as a result. I think the ones on the right side of the room were bigger too. I had a hell of backpain after crouching over them all weekend.

Also surprised the big screen wasn't used to show the clock (or anything interesting), but the periodic time announcements from the refs were helpful.

Having the round schedule on the naf site was very useful.

Generally thought it was fantastically well run and a great venue.

thor87
Super Star
Super Star

Post by thor87 »

sann0638 wrote:
Tojurub wrote:

Amazing! Calling Thor...
Drop me a PM. Happy to help.

SquadChaos Captain.
TO of Thrudball
Attemptee of the "Best Painted 29" Challenge (Only Humans to go)
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

king_ghidra wrote:
Also surprised the big screen wasn't used to show the clock (or anything interesting), but the periodic time announcements from the refs were helpful.
Basically it costs money, which has never been thought to be worthwhile. The venue's an expensive place!

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Aye the venue is priced for corporate events, so it's really costly to use the projector unfortunately.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Wulfyn
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Wulfyn »

Fantastic tournament even tho I didn't play. Was interesting seeing it from the organisers perspective as well (even tho I wasn't organising either!).

Thanks to everyone who let me stream the games. Am busy cleaning them up and getting onto Youtube and will announce as they are done. Final should be up this evening.

Thanks also for the feedback online and offline.

Things I'd like to do next year is have a screen in the lobby outside the hall broadcasting the stream. That way people who have finished can watch that instead of milling around the players. Especially the final.

And agree with KFoged a better social media presence could be fun as well (even tho we had loads of players!!).

CStunt
Rookie
Rookie

Post by CStunt »

Despite the worst record I've ever had while trying to win and constantly being drawn against Tier 1 teams in the process, it was a lovely weekend. My 5-1 drubbing by PeteW was my favourite game!

As others have said the tables are an issue, I might bring my board next time for when it gets too bad.

I know it's not something the tournament team had a hand in, but whoever decided that a white chocolate twix should be in every lunch bag on the sunday should be shot.

thor87
Super Star
Super Star

Post by thor87 »

Joemanji wrote:Aye the venue is priced for corporate events, so it's really costly to use the projector unfortunately.
I have a projector if the naf want to borrow it?

SquadChaos Captain.
TO of Thrudball
Attemptee of the "Best Painted 29" Challenge (Only Humans to go)
MarzM
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MarzM »

sann0638 wrote:
king_ghidra wrote:
Basically it costs money, which has never been thought to be worthwhile. The venue's an expensive place!
I assume the reason it's not held at Warhammer World is due to 3rd party models?

Tojurub
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Tojurub »

thor87 wrote:
Joemanji wrote:Aye the venue is priced for corporate events, so it's really costly to use the projector unfortunately.
I have a projector if the naf want to borrow it?
IIRC it was also not allowed to bring one :pissed:

Nuffle Sucks! Heretic, NBA
www.biboba.de
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

Hello all,

I'm not here to speak for Jim (who I assume is taking a well-earned break from all things NAFC after a hardcore weekend), but I thought I'd cover some of the consistent points as I understand them. Happy to be corrected later by someone that knows better.

Firstly, because of the size and somewhat faceless nature of the event ('the NAF Championship' not 'Phil Bowl'), we attract a higher quantity of (but still constructive in almost all cases, don't get me wrong) feedback on negatives than is the norm. Also, we cannot please everyone. For every opinion, there is an exact opposite waiting to appear in the very next post. For instance, I thought that the white chocolate Twix was a taste sensation, and I'd like to shake whoever is responsible by the hand and / or hug them. Well done, faceless Mars corporation. To specifics in no particular order:

Tables: we are pretty much stuck with those tables, as I understand it. Perhaps some boards is the answer to overcome the central ridge some experience. I found eeking my table back by an inch did the job, but perhaps that didn't work for all?

Projection: this costs £lots, an overhead (boom boom) that would have to be covered by an already high ticket price. The venue does not like the idea of losing £lots because one of us has a projector, and I can see their point. They do have to make money, at the end of the day.

Lunch: do you know, I thought it was pretty decent this year. What is the tournament norm, a supermarket sandwich meal deal? The wrap was certainly a step up from that, and there was plenty of variety in terms of crisp and snack flavour. While I appreciate I am not the largest Blood Bowler, there was too much lunch for me. With the other options a £15 burger in the hotel or a sprint to the Co-op by the campus entrance, I was more than sated and satisfied. Your milage may vary.

Structure: I don't think any competitive player likes a final (cue a queue of competitive players disagreeing, as is the format / curse of making an internet generalisation). That said, finding a winner in 6 games of Swiss over such a disparate field of 200 is pretty much a crap shoot anyway (not taking anything away from Jawa's glorious weekend - well done, Sir!). The final is traditional, and it also generates loads of interest both in the hall and elsewhere in a way that three tables battling it out to see where SoS lands after game 6 doesn't. I think for one tournament a year we can wear a final, especially if it's going to be as dramatic as this one? Tiers: again, there will be 200 opinions on this. I liked the step away from (it felt like - don't stat me Mike) 150 Necro teams for a year. Maybe a tickle in a new direction next year is appropriate, maybe not. It's a mega-party either way, right?

Venue: I think the EMCC is terrific. We moved from WW because they (if I recall correctly, for excellent reasons) didn't want BB in their hall for a while, but our new home is great. Nostalgia is a powerful thing. While at WW there was a string of very unfair criticism about any number of things. The food was commonly referred to as 'slop' (again, I thought this mightily unfair), which is an adjective I'm yet to see used in relation to the food bags, at least. Yes, we can use third party minis at the EMCC, which is appreciated by a number of attendees, I'm sure.

Team destination: not really a huge concern I don't think, so long as it's publicised, I can argue in each of three ways. I'm sure Jim will think on this. Spubb - don't worry about the 'power' of the team; anyone would be delighted to receive something that lovely looking. I'm sure Jawa is already planning their debut.

Capes: I believe these were misplaced in the run-up. Jim will doubtless look at whether this is a thing in 2020. I remember plenty of criticism of the constant cape announcements, so perhaps a case of not being able to please all of the people, here.

Social media: this has already been spoken about, wheels are in motion. Much as I am a Luddite, I agree that this could be another string to the already super-stringy NAFC bow.

All in all, this is one of only a couple of huge Blood Bowling parties the UK has (along with the UKTC these days), and I'm always delighted to attend and mix with a cross-section of the entire community. Yes, there are a few niggles here and there, but all in all, great job, Jim and amigos.

Hobnail
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hobnail »

Tojurub wrote:

Even better (I was just being a cheapskate) and very generous of you. Hope this can go on to become a yearly tradition for the youngblood winner.

Winner - Caerdydd Cup (2019)
Most TD - Exiles (20)(2015), Exebowl (10)(2017)
Stunty Cup - Welsh Open (2016,2019), Exiles (2016), CakeBowl (2019), GertBowl (2019)

SWTC Stunty Champion 2016, 2019
Most Casualties - Elflympics (27(net 25))(2017)