Name Server Problems

Moderator: TFF Mods

mamira
Rookie
Rookie

Name Server Problems

Post by mamira »

Talkbloodbowl seems to be unreachable quite frequently, simply because the domain name can not be resolved. I am able to reach the domain from some computers and not at all from other (at the same time)

Probably other users have noticed this, but they may not have gotten to the bottom of this. I asked our sys-admin guys to have a look at it, and great as they are, they found the problem.

Apparantly there seems to be a problem with the nameserver hostmequick.com. When asked for a dns-lookup of www.talkbloodbowl.com it does not give an AUTHORATIVE answer. (may be a bad translation).

Where linux-dns-servers accept this and give an A-record, solaris-dns-servers don't (as they shouldn't) and end up with a failed lookup. (I don't know about MS-dns-servers, but knowing the security and standard-compliance policies of MS, they'll probably accept everything)

Maybe the guys at hostmequick.com should be contacted to resolve this??

Sorry about the techno-babbel, I don't understand all of it either :roll:

Reason: ''
mamira

"I'm sorry, if your were right I would agree with you..."
ljm
Experienced
Experienced

Post by ljm »

I frequently have this same problem and would very much like to see it solved.

ljm

One false move, wizard, and your familiar gets it!
JenniRP70
Da Ex-Boss

Post by JenniRP70 »

I am HostMeQuick.com, aswell as TalkBloodBowl.com.

The reason why you receive a non-authoritive answer is because it is coming from a cache located on a 3rd party DNS server. If the response comes direct from either of the 2 name servers specified, the it will be an authoritive answer.

The reason why TBB cannot be resolved occasionly is due my DNS server being behind the router that is crashing and not yet having a secondary DNS (a friend was going to do it, but hasn't got his network hooked up properly yet). Therefore, it is likely that you will not be able to access the site if the domain name is not resolvable.

The only resolution is to fix the network problem which will be done soon as I have just purchased another ADSL router while I await the resolution of the current router.

Cheers

John

Snotling Championship League Commisioner
[url]http://www.bloodbowl.co.uk[/url]

Da Boss of TalkBloodBowl.com
mamira
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mamira »

I don't want to start a yes/no contest here, but don't think that the router going down is the problem. As I am typing this message on a computer which is using a linux dns server (and as you can see is able to locate www.talkbloodbowl.com), the one that uses a solaris name server is not able to find it.

I don't (yet) see how this can be caused by a failing router ... :(

mamira

"I'm sorry, if your were right I would agree with you..."