New on the site, need some clarification^^

Moderator: TFF Mods

Khitan
Rookie
Rookie

New on the site, need some clarification^^

Post by Khitan »

Hi everybody! My name's Francesco (yep, italian guy here xD) and that's the first time I actually participate in a BB community.

I used to play a loooooong time ago at the TT with friends, nevere participated in anything official though. Then I had to stop for reasons. After a while I started playing he videogame for nostalgic sake but always in single player (before I started I gave a look at some forum to see how the multiplayer community was doing and I got scared by the really high competitiveness (is it really a word or did I just made it up? XD) so I never joined the mp. I like to play for fun, with "narrative" teams^^). Now I decided to start playing BB as it should be: with other people. That's when the problems started.

As usual I started looking at forums to see what was new and I discovered that I don't understand more than half of what I read, even if I read the last rules (or at list I think I did... I downloaded the beginner kit posted on this forum by... Sorry, don't remember the nick. Still a very usefull post!). That's why I'm here asking for some help^^
I keep reading about CRP, FUMBBL, LRB, TV matchmaking, CPOMB... Although I mostly understand what all this means I can't get around to mix it all together. The official set of rules should be CRP but in some leagues the LRB is used. TV matchmaking is the most common but most people don't like and use others. FUMMBL is some kind of official league or something...

I'm not making a lot of sense, I know it, and that's the problem xD my problem at least.
So I wanted to ask: is there some kind of guide/site/place/time that could help me understand how the game is being played nowaday? How to find leagues, how to keep up with the rules (official and unofficial) and stuff like that?
Or would somebody be so kind to bear with me and explain it all? I work full time plus I have some personal projects (alway work related) so I really don't have the time to cross reference different rulesets, sites, league rules, etc... I would really appreciate some help^^

And just to finish (I know, really long post): is there any italian player that could show me where to play the TT version of the game in Italy? Maybe some official league ore something?

Thanks everyone^^
Cheers

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: New on the site, need some clarification^^

Post by Darkson »

The NAF (http://www.thenaf.net/) has the latest official rules for download, and might be able to show you a local league (if they've added themselves to the site). Also, try contacting Rolex on this site, as he's the Italian Regional Tournament Organiser, so he might be able to help you get in touch with local players.

In short:

Official rules are the CRP (Competition Rules Pack). There used to be a GW-run committee (the BBRC) that met to look at rule changes etc. They had a fuller version of the rule book, which is the LRB6 (Living Rule Book 6). If you download the CRP, plus the 3 "new" teams from the NAF, you'll have the current rules. If you want all the background (fluff) look for the LRB6 - the rules are the same in both.

FUMBBL is an website that allows you to play BB online: https://fumbbl.com/

TV matchmaking is an online thing, don't worry about it, it's nothing to do with tabletop.

ClawPOMB is a player with Claw, Piling On and Mighty Blow. Depending on who you talk to the combination may or may not be a problem. For tabletop players it doesn't seem to be an issue. For online players, who can play more games in aweek than most tabletop players play in a year, it seems over-powered. Depends on where you play.

Links:
CRP: http://www.thenaf.net/wp-content/upload ... 6/CRP1.pdf
3 "new" teams (official pretty much everywhere): http://www.thenaf.net/wp-content/upload ... ms2008.pdf
LRB6 (CRP with fluff and new teams): http://www.bloodbowl-game.com/files/BB_LRB6.pdf

Clarifications on rules: http://www.thenaf.net/blood-bowl/rules/clarifications/

Hope that helps, any other questions don't hesitate to ask.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

Welcome to TalkFantasyFootball!

First of all, I know exactly what you mean.
I also passed on the MP of Cyanides Blood Bowl because of those competitive players.

Now to those "strange" words...

LRB: That means "Living Rule Book". The BBRC (Blood Bowl Rules Commitee) used to keep Blood Bowl alive by reviewing and, if necessary, changing the rules. So there have been some versions of the LRB, with #6 being the last, as far as I know. Then BBRC was disbanded by GW and Blood Bowl kind of officially dead.

CRP: This is the Competion Rules, the now last officially published rules to play Blood Bowl by. Although not included in CRP, most people do accept three new teams as official: Chaos Pact, Slann and Underworld. I don't have the link for that right now, but surely someone here can tell you, at least, someone did tell me! :orc:

FUMBBL: It is not, as you suspected, a League. FUMBBL is one of (if not) the first Online Blood Bowl, using a Java-client. It has no 3D graphics and looks more like playing a very colorful chess.

CPOMB: This means players on a team, that have Claw, Piling On and Mighty Blow as skills. With the now official rules, this is quite the killer combo and more than abused on some teams. As far as I know, you can clear the pitch and kill a lot of opponents with this. One of the reasons not to play online! :orc:

TV Matchmaking: There are certain rules on how to calculate your teams TV (Team Value). Players cost, skills adding to that, gold the team owns etc. When competeing, teams compare their TV and the team with the lower TV gets the difference in gold to buy inducements for this game, like additional Rerolls, a wizard, Bloodweise Babes and what have you. It is supposed to even the teams out, so you can still have a fair game, even if you play a rather fresh teams against seasoned veterans. Most people don't like it because it doesn't really work very well.

NTBB: Someone called "Plasmoid", also active here on the forums, made some changes to rules and team rosters to make Blood Bowl a more balanced game. I can't tell you if this was successful as I haven't played by those rules yet. NTBB meaning "Narrow Tier Blood Bowl".

I really hope someone can provide some links to all of this.
Any more question? Don't hesitate to ask!

Edit: Darkson has been quicker...

Saebelsultan
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Saebelsultan »

Khitan wrote: I downloaded the beginner kit posted on this forum by... Sorry, don't remember the nick. Still a very usefull post!
That would be me! :D

I found this thread

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=16964

and this one

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=7404

quite helpful.

Also, look for the NAF league locator (on the NAF site) for leagues within your area.
And last but not least, all together we are a helpful bunch. Just keep posting your questions.

"This game is too good not to be played!" - Coach Pauli
Blood Bowl Beginner Kit
Saebelsultan's BB Dugouts
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

Khitan wrote: And just to finish (I know, really long post): is there any italian player that could show me where to play the TT version of the game in Italy? Maybe some official league ore something?

Thanks everyone^^
Cheers
Hi / Ciao

I send you a PM. / T'invio un messaggio privato.

Khitan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Khitan »

Thanks everybody for the welcome and the really useful replies^^ sorry if it took me so long to reply, it's been a rough couple of days.

I re-read the rules and some of the more complex (for me) topics and now I can finally understand most of it!
Looking forward to enjoy the community!