"Fun" team advice for a semi-newbie

Moderator: TFF Mods

DeathGlam
Rookie
Rookie

"Fun" team advice for a semi-newbie

Post by DeathGlam »

Im currently playing in what is being called a starter league in my local area, as it is mostly new to the game or people like me who have not played in years and years.

The plan for when we start the "proper" league is to have 2 divisions so each coach(17 in total currently) has the option of playing two teams, im currently playing Pro Elves which are fun enough but im finding a little bland so im considering starting 2 new teams, rather then just one to go with the Elves.

I have decided to play Norse as one, due to loving the Greebo team and them looking like a good alternative playstyle to what im currently playing, so the main advice i wanted to ask is about what teams might make a more fun team to Pro Elves?

Cheers for any advice guys as thought it best i ask more experianced players.

Reason: ''
Borthcollective
Veteran
Veteran

Re: "Fun" team advice for a semi-newbie

Post by Borthcollective »

I am not sure what you mean by "Fun" team. Do you want a throw away team that you know is going to get bashed to death like Halflings or Goblins or are you just looking for a different playstyle to your Pro-Elves. Are there rules as to what you can play in the 2nd division or is it just so you can play two teams. I think we need more information as to what the rules for your league are or possibly what your likes in teams are so we can understand your "Fun" to be of more assistance.

Are there teams that you want to stay away from?

DeathGlam
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeathGlam »

No special rules, its a very new and relaxed gaming group.

Well when i say "fun" i mean teams that can be a bit of craziness for me and my opponent to have fun playing against, rather then the most serious team at competing at the top of the table, so i planned to avoid Dwarfs.

I was looking at possibly Chaos but they seemed a little similar to the Norse i plan to play, so i had a look at Skaven or Vampires, as the Bloodlust rule seemed fun but the problem with the Vampires was how hard it is now to get a team of them with the recent OOP and the fact im not a fan of the only other Vampire team models listed in the very helpful thread on this site.

Im really open to any suggestions, just wanted peoples views of different teams or maybe what makes them enjoy playing their team or against certain teams.

voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

try slaan, the jumping about takes some getting used to, but they are fun to use

Ikterus wrote: But for the record, play Voyagers_UK if you have the chance. He's cursed! :P
DeathGlam
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeathGlam »

Thanks i will check them out.

Digger Goreman
Legend
Legend
Location: Atlanta, GA., USA: Recruiting the Walking Dead for the Blood Bowl Zombie Nation

Post by Digger Goreman »

How far down the rabbit hole do you want to go Neo?

Dwarves, elves, norse are just the tip of the spam-n-cheese matrix....

LRB6/Icepelt Edition: Ah!, when Blood Bowl made sense....
"1 in 36, my Nuffled arse!"
DeathGlam
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeathGlam »

I think im going to go with Norse and Goblins as a my two teams, Norse as they are something different to my Elves and i really like the Greebo models, Goblins as they seem to offer the most crazy fun.

Heff
Dwarf fetishist

Post by Heff »

gobblins are certainly fun but if you really want a fun challenge try flings or ogres.

Heff...Keeping the Dwarf (and lego) hate alive
If you cannot stall out for an 8 turn drive to score with dwarves then you need to go and play canasta with your dad..if you can find him.
Borthcollective
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Borthcollective »

Other options for little guys teams would be Lizardmen with only Krox and Skinks, or Chaos Dwarves for Hobgoblins and Minotaurs.

I think next league I play in is going to be Chaos with just Beastmen and Minotaur.

DeathGlam
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeathGlam »

Oh now ogres and snotlings could be a fun idea, as i have some of the old BB snotling models tucked away in a box somewhere plus could easily convert some plastic ogres from a spare box of WFB models.

I think the postion for my second team is a 3 horse race between Ogres, Goblins or possibly Slann who im considering now, bonus for the Ogres and Slann is i dont believe any of the other players plan to play them but we do already have a Gobbo player.

Cheers for all the help guys.

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Apes of Wrath!

Check sig for details :)

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
DeathGlam
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DeathGlam »

They look fun, another team for the future. :D

I have decided not to play Goblins as prefer the idea of Snotlings and Ogres, only other team im conisdering right now is Slann but just wondered if they are to good with all that Leap?

Edit: also interested in Underworld as the mutations could be a fun ongoing conversion project?

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

:D Yeah, I was going to suggest Underworld.

There are some decent playbooks around if you want some info on how to play them.
Great fun, I dont anyone can be intimidated playing against them, too. And as soon as they get some skills, they are REALLY fun (and perhaps challenging too) to play with/against!

Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

DeathGlam wrote:(...) only other team im considering right now is Slann but just wondered if they are to good with all that Leap?(...)
IMO it depends a bit on how "tactically advanced" you are (game wise), compared to your mates.
If your win ratio is up there compared to your friends ("all around" no race in particular), as soon as you grasp the basics of Slann, unless you are very unlucky (dice wise) the outcome of the games will be very much alike when playing Elves against them.
(If this is your case I'd go for Ogres as they are quite unreliable per se no matter what, and there's always quite a good bunch of "tasty treats" for your opponents to munch on.)

On the other hands, if you guys are close in terms of game wins, then Slann might be an interesting team, as it forces both you and your opponent to tactically think about the game in a different way (the way to "cage", or to do TZones, for instance).