Return to TT gaming, new to BB

Moderator: TFF Mods

ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Return to TT gaming, new to BB

Post by ChenZhen »

Hello all.

I'm a long time table top player that recently caught the BloodBowl bug.

I worked in an small hobby store during the late 90s and early 00s. A large sum of my (rather sad) wages went back into models. I played most of GW's games from that time. Necromunda was my favorite, as I loved the small scale, the advancement, and the fun! I purchased BB and some teams and star players, but I never got around to painting or playing.

Fast forward to now. I ran across the computer game, and decided to pick it up. I had a blast! I regretted never playing the TT game before now. The mix of strategy with pure chaos! Gaming bliss. I then went digging for my huge stash of unpainted models in the attic. I found that I had a dwarf team (bare metal) and the plastic bits to make decent chaos, norse, and human teams.

So I decided to start with a norse team, converted some Ulfs, and hope to have a full team put together for the start of next year!

I've been lurking on the boards for a while, but wanted to dive in and say hello.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Reason: ''
MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Return to TT gaming, new to BB

Post by MattDakka »

Welcome!
Playing BB is very funny, you had a good idea.
I played many of the GW games dating back to '90s as well: Talisman; Space Hulk; Necromunda; Gorkamorka; WarhammerQuest; sadly I never played Mordheim for lack of players in my town. I have been playing Warhammer for some years, though.
You made nice Werewolves.
Do you play just on Cyanide game, or on FUMBBL site as well?

ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ChenZhen »

MattDakka wrote:Welcome!
Playing BB is very funny, you had a good idea.
I played many of the GW games dating back to '90s as well: Talisman; Space Hulk; Necromunda; Gorkamorka; WarhammerQuest; sadly I never played Mordheim for lack of players in my town. I have been playing Warhammer for some years, though.
You made nice Werewolves.
Do you play just on Cyanide game, or on FUMBBL site as well?
I never played Talisman, but did play WarhammerQuest, Space Hulk, Necromunda (my fav), and Gorkamorka. I believe that the some of the leftover Gorkamorka Orks that I have laying around are going to become parts of BloodBowl players rather soon!!! I also have to figure out how I am going to make a Deathroller, but I digress.

I have only played the Cyanide game, and that pretty much just single player. I got it initially to use it to learn the rules and to see if it was a game that I wanted to play table top. I'm much more of a visual learner, so I figured it would be a good way to go. I picked up the Dark Elf edition heavily discounted, and just recently grabbed the LE. I wanted to try out the different teams before I committed to modeling/painting one up. The LE was great in being able to quickly make teams and mess around with them (except Chaos Dwarf, which I really like the Big Hat style)!

(Newbie Questions ahead!)
I have not even looked into FUMBBL, do you recommend it? I still feel like I'm getting the hang of the skills and overall flow of the game, and not sure how ready I am to dive into online play. Does FUMBBL play with LRB7? I thought I read that on one of the posts. If so, where do I get that? Is the pdf from the GW site the one that I should be using for regular play?

A big part of the enjoyment of gaming for me is modeling and painting. I am really excited to get back into that part of the hobby.

The incredible variety of teams and star players by some incredible companies has me really excited (and my wallet really worried)!

Corvidius
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Corvidius »

ChenZhen wrote: (Newbie Questions ahead!)
I have not even looked into FUMBBL, do you recommend it? I still feel like I'm getting the hang of the skills and overall flow of the game, and not sure how ready I am to dive into online play. Does FUMBBL play with LRB7? I thought I read that on one of the posts. If so, where do I get that? Is the pdf from the GW site the one that I should be using for regular play?

A big part of the enjoyment of gaming for me is modeling and painting. I am really excited to get back into that part of the hobby.

The incredible variety of teams and star players by some incredible companies has me really excited (and my wallet really worried)!
Fumbbl uses LRB6 also known as Competition Rules Pack which is the same as Legendary edition if playing in Classic mode.

the.tok
Veteran
Veteran

Post by the.tok »

You made a good choice, BB is a wonderful game, and the most simple to play in a busy life too :)

I loved Necromunda and especially Gorkamorka too for the Mayhem factor, but BB is even better :smoking:

MattDakka
Super Star
Super Star

Post by MattDakka »

ChenZhen wrote: (Newbie Questions ahead!)

Yes, I recommend it, because there you can play all the 24 teams and star players.
FUMBBL uses CRP; the LRB7 post you read is a discussion about a future possible evolution of BB rules made by FUMBBLers, but it's just a hypothesis, don't worry.
Considering you have said you like variety, try FUMBBL, then.
BBLE has better graphics but more bugs/uncorrect rules implementations, less teams and far less star players available, especially the cheaper ones (i.e. the most used).
On FUMBBL you can resume with ease interrupted matches due to connection/pc issues, on BBLE if you have a sudden connection drop you risk to lose the match.
It happened to me several times, really frustrating. :(

Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Good choice, nice Werewolves :)

ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ChenZhen »

Thanks for all the responses. I set up a FUMBBL account, and will give that a shot as soon as I can figure it out. :-?

Hitonagashi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hitonagashi »

If you have any FUMBBL questions mate, drop me a PM, and I'll try and help you out. I'm Hitonagashi there too. :)

Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Good to have you on board

where are you based?

ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ChenZhen »

I'm based in the United States... Twin Cities, Minnesota, specifically.

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

ChenZhen wrote:I'm based in the United States... Twin Cities, Minnesota, specifically.
Now we just need to get you to come down and join us for the Chaos Cup in 2012.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
ChenZhen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by ChenZhen »

Sounds good. :lol: When / where is that.

I have been messing around on FUMMBLE test games, so I will be looking to take the plunge to real games soon.

I also have some time off from work coming up, so I will start a post on my modeling projects. Thanks again for all the help / support / encouragement. This is a great community built around a really fun game!

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

ChenZhen wrote:Sounds good. :lol: When / where is that.
September 15 and 16, 2012 Downers Grove, IL (suburb of Chicago)

2nd largest Blood Bowl tournament in the USA. Lots of free stuff if you pre-register.

http://www.chaoscup.com

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
bound for glory
Legend
Legend

Post by bound for glory »

nice ulfs.

Rick Sanchez lives!