Uploading Avatar

Moderator: TFF Mods

Lunchab1es
Star Player
Star Player

Uploading Avatar

Post by Lunchab1es »

Hello all,

Try as I might, I seem unable to upload an avatar picture for my profile. Everything I try is over the 6 KiB limit. How did you guys get yours to work?

Many thanks.

Reason: ''
Looking for: 5th ed Human Thrower #2
inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Re: Uploading Avatar

Post by inkpwn »

Is it the right size? Even so much as a pixel out is too much.

Lunchab1es
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Lunchab1es »

How do you edit/compress images to work? I admit to being a bit illiterate in this area of computers.

Is there a setting to "auto-fit" the images that I am missing? I've been trying to browse my CPU for the images, with no success.

inkpwn
Raspberry Mage

Post by inkpwn »

You can edit sizes of non animated things in paint. Right click the image and go to open in paint,create a box around the image then right click the image and drag inwards, its dimensions are shown in the bottom right hand corner of the screen example: 48x63 It needs to be 60x60 or smaller.

nonumber
Super Star
Super Star

Post by nonumber »

Do you have photo shop? The problem is usually your computer will save the image as a lot larger of a file than it needs to be. It originally saved the avatar I just uploaded at like 14k, I managed to reduce the file size to around 4k I think it was without diminishing the clarity of the picture hardly at all.

There should be an option somewhere in the menu that comes up after you click "save as" that allows you to reduce the quality of the image saved. In photo shop I went through the "save for web" option because it gives me more tools to do so.

That probably didn't help at all but maybe it did.

"Sometimes you're a big dog wearing a small hat, sometimes you're a small dog wearing a big one. That's life, baby."
Lunchab1es
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Lunchab1es »

nonumber wrote:Do you have photo shop? The problem is usually your computer will save the image as a lot larger of a file than it needs to be. It originally saved the avatar I just uploaded at like 14k, I managed to reduce the file size to around 4k I think it was without diminishing the clarity of the picture hardly at all.

There should be an option somewhere in the menu that comes up after you click "save as" that allows you to reduce the quality of the image saved. In photo shop I went through the "save for web" option because it gives me more tools to do so.

That probably didn't help at all but maybe it did.
Got it! Your advice came in handy nonumber, although I had a few hiccups. Here is what I ended up doing:

You were spot on about my computer using too large a filesize. My photo program (Photoscape) did allow me to reduce the quality of the image (and therefore the size) but not by nearly enough.

I had previously tried uploading the images to photobucket, but TFF didn't much like that either. I ended up crossing the methods...I uploaded the photo to photobucket, then right click -> save as to my own desktop. As photobucket stores the photos at a MUCH lower resolution, this caused a drastic decrease in size.

Next I had to re-open the new file in photoscape to crop it because, as arthurinkpwn suggested, 80 x 80 pixels is a very precise number. Luckily, there was a display box telling me the dimensions making this step easier.

Next I had to delete my previous attempts from my profile, and then FINALLY it let me upload an image (albeit horrendously cropped from what it once was...). Hope these steps help others find success. Thank you guys for your advice- it helped.