too many forums

Moderator: TFF Mods

Troy Spiral
Experienced
Experienced

too many forums

Post by Troy Spiral »

waaaaaaaaaaay to many fourms.

Should cut them down by like half. This many forums ensures that many forums will get very low traffic.

Reason: ''
[url=http://DetroitGothic.net/]Detroit Gothic.Net Come Say Hello!![/url]
Marcus
Da Tulip Champ I

Post by Marcus »

There were fewer forums, it got expanded.

Works better this way.

Marcus - [url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=42448#42448]Hall of Famer[/url] - [url=http://www.irwilliams.com/ecbbl/index.php]Edinboro Castle Blood Bowl League[/url]
JenniRP70
Da Ex-Boss

Post by JenniRP70 »

The number of fourms increased as the variety of discussion increased. With too few forums, it becomes difficult to navigate to particular topics as you end up with large quantities of unrelated stuff mixed together.

There are 1 or 2 forums that I'd like to see amalgamated into other forums, but the number of forums here allows particular topics to be placed in a particular forum where everybody will know where to find it.

JohnnyP

Snotling Championship League Commisioner
[url]http://www.bloodbowl.co.uk[/url]

Da Boss of TalkBloodBowl.com
Princelucianus
Legend
Legend

Post by Princelucianus »

The number of forums on your own website aren't too few either :lol:

Lucy
:smoking:

RCN: Keeper of the sacred dice
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Re: too many forums

Post by Thadrin »

Troy Spiral wrote: This many forums ensures that many forums will get very low traffic.
Someone hasn't been here very long...

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Troy Spiral
Experienced
Experienced

yep

Post by Troy Spiral »

I've been here long enough to see that a few forums are wastelands and dont need to be there.

I -do- understand the need to break up forums so that topic-lists are easier to navigate. But i think this current total of forums is not needed and will contribute to many posts not getting any eyeballs.

Also i hope its known that the reason im posting about this is that i -like- the place and just stating some constructive critique.

The negative tone isnt warrented. If i didnt care, i wouldnt post about something like this. :D

Mestari
Legend
Legend

Post by Mestari »

Would you care to name the wasteland forums? Every forum has some active topics, so I wouldn't consider anyone of them to be completely needless.

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3460]-[/url]Teemu
[i][size=67]Don't lynch me! I'm the captain of the carpet ship![/size][/i]
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

There's not a single forum I don't look at at least once per visit, and I think I've posted on all of them except JohnnyP's announcment thread (obviously) and the archive thread (as I wasn't on board at the time of these threads), so I wouldn't say any of them need deleting.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Colin
Legend
Legend

Post by Colin »

There are some forums I don't visit very often, but they seem to be active everytime I come here, which is everyday, so I wouldn't say any forum is a waste of space. Maybe we need more forums.

GO STAMPEDERS!
Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I just came back from a weekend away. I was away all of two days. Every single forum was flagged as having new posts when I got back this evening.

Wastelands? I don't see it. As it happens, the Moderators group had a pretty good discussion about what should have a forum and what shouldn't from the old format. I think the way it is now is pretty good.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Troy Spiral
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Troy Spiral »

any board worth its sault, will usually have at least 1 or 2 posts per forum per day.

Thats a given.

"wasteland" is a relative term.

There is no need to seprate a topic from other topics, when that concept generates a few posts per day. It just makes sure that anyone that wasnt -out looking- for posts on that subject wont see it.

Your hardcore posters are always going to check pretty much all forums. The "hardcores" are the kind of people that would post in a "suggestions" section like this. Their commentary needs to be taken with a grain of salt.

The silent majority needs to be thought of. At least i think its a good way to go about things.

I've noticed many posts being put in "general" when they could have went elswehere. This is partly due to fools that just cant read the forum headings, but also its due to the fact that people know where to put things if they want them seen , and know were to put them if they want 3 views a week (exageration)

As for a specific breakdown of what forums i think should go away, and which ones should stay, as well as how to combine many existing forums... ugh... i've already got a second job running DGN. hehe

No "antagonisim" was meant by this post, it was just commentary. :)

And yes my spelling is piss-poor.

Lucien Swift
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Lucien Swift »

how many people actually click through forum by forum? i don't think i ever have... seems the trick isn't to worry about how many forums there are, but rather to discover the little link that reads "find all posts since last visit" or whatever it says.... makes the whole thing much more user-friendly...

iron chef kosher
Dragoonkin
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dragoonkin »

I just don't read certain forums...Off-Topic almost never, same with the PBeM ones, never House Rules or Homegrown Talent...but I read/post in the rest. :D Seems easy enough for me.

And I like having things separated out...having Rules seperate from Tactics from Skills & Traits is nice. You know what people are talking about (most of the time) before you even start reading.