Moderating in Moderation:

Moderator: TFF Mods

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Can I make a small point? Much frustration could be avoided by the mods if they avoided one particular way of addressing the issue. That being using:
Locked.
As if to smack everyone in the face with their powers. This is not a dick-swinging contest ladies and gentlemen. Containing the decision in a simple sentence really isn't that hard. For example:
I am going to lock this topic.
... expand with a "because" as you will, but please consider this request.

Cheers
Joe

Reason: ''
*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Wightlord
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Wightlord »

I was posting in that thread at the end, and although everyone was getting along and it was all civil it was moving into political ground so I don't have any problem with it being locked at all ( I think Darklords suggestion over PM's for those interested was the best way).

As for Mods judging each case as they see it...thats why they are there, I don't have too agree with all their actions to accept that they are doing a job the forum needs in the best way they can.

Things you never expect to hear in a sane world......"I went home a broken man. Contemplating my place in a universe where Shaniepoo was king" - No Number
And..."Shaniepoo is our glorious champion!" - Leipziger
Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

Dark Lord wrote:Well one thing that isn't known is that I was taunting Darkson while he was cleaning up that thread
Skummy I think what you missed was that you came in and posted discontent with Darkson right after I kept adding new silly posts as soon as he could delete them. I poked him with a short stick but he bit you. :P
:P Ah, fair enough. If someone was mod baiting it got deleted, that would make more sense. What I saw didn't seem to justify, but with deleted posts, who knows? Not me.

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

Wightlord wrote:As for Mods judging each case as they see it...thats why they are there, I don't have too agree with all their actions to accept that they are doing a job the forum needs in the best way they can.
Thank you :D

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
darthvincor
Veteran
Veteran

Post by darthvincor »

I just read through the entire thread in question, and
am still wondering why it was locked.
I found the discussion very pleasant and interesting,
and was curious about the topic and the different
points of view. People were constantly monitoring
themselves and making it abundantly clear that it
was in fact not political.

And then it gets locked because a mod decides it -might-
become political. If we continue like this, we might as well
lock the entire forum, because any discussion could potentially
become political.

This is how the thread appeared to me:
orc lineman should have MA 6.
Yeah, but then the price ought to go up 10k.
No, orc lineman is fine as it is, it's been unchanged in
a decade.
But then blitzers would appear slow, should they become
MA7? Then they'd be human blitzers!
LOCKED.
[you posted an exclamation mark, that was clearly
aggressive, and tending towards politically charged
discussion]

Okay, there is a big difference between orc linemen and
gun control, but my point is clear I hope.

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

there is still a big difference beetwen a game like BB and a gun.

Lightning' bugs for the win

http://teamfrancebb.positifforum.com/
Ravage
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ravage »

I see no problem with the thread being locked. Granted, I like many others didnt see some of the content that got deleted or edited, and yes for the most part the thread didnt seem too out of hand. but as a former mod myself of other forums, I saw nothing wrong with darkson doing what he did. He asked, numerous times, for the discussion to stay on topic. People not only continued the conversation furthering the thread drift, but continued to discuss it AND start side complaints "why do we have to stop". He explained his reasoning, and I don't think it was unreasonable to comply with his request. In the end yeah, it seems like he'd just had enough so he locked it, but I can't blame him. It's just unfortunate because the thread concerning the 2012 olympics WAS interesting to read people's opinions on, especially concerning the sports and economics (which stayed pleasantly away from overall "politics") of the ramifications of the decision. And now that conversation is dead.

Of course while I do understand darkson's reasoning for locking it, it may have been nice to simply request a new thread be created for gun law. I truthfully dont feel it's too "political" to create a problem.... but again, if the mods think so, then hey that's their call.

I had made a comment in the bombings thread that people took the wrong way and I removed myself from the conversation... explaining the point of my previous comment and letting the topic return to other points. I think most people on these forums are mature enough to do the same (it's one of the reasons I like TBB) and while there may have been incidents in the past, I hope that maybe in the future the mods can give the general populous a little more slack and try and let some conversations run their course - while they may be "on the edge" in some people's minds like the gun topic, I think there is enough merit in the discussion that most of us can keep it civil without problems arising.

Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

ok guys, we are human and sometimes we can get it wrong. or not...
The oympics thread is open again.

And the gun thread also.

i cleaned all those little arguing stuff.

Good talk.

Chairface
Da Fig Finda

Post by Chairface »

yeah, good talk. I am impressed that you guys reconsidered the situation. Takes cahones. :wink:

http://www.impactminiatures.com
Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

We always listen to constructive crititism, its the whining and mud slinging we ignore :lol: :lol:

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Dark Lord (retired)

Post by Dark Lord (retired) »

Nazgit wrote:Can I make a small point? Much frustration could be avoided by the mods if they avoided one particular way of addressing the issue. That being using:
Locked.
As if to smack everyone in the face with their powers. This is not a dick-swinging contest ladies and gentlemen. Containing the decision in a simple sentence really isn't that hard. For example:
I am going to lock this topic.
... expand with a "because" as you will, but please consider this request.

Cheers

Joe

I agree with this.
The natural reaction for some of us is to rebel the minute we think someone is mad with power. Joe's right, a little less 'tude' on the lockings would go a long way.

Skummy
Legend
Legend

Post by Skummy »

Chairface wrote:yeah, good talk. I am impressed that you guys reconsidered the situation. Takes cahones. :wink:
Agreed! Thanks for listening!

[url=http://www.bloodbowl.net/naf.php?page=tournamentinfo&uname=skummy]Skummy's Tourney History[/url]
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

However, we have agreed (which Longshot was going to post in the re-opened threads) that if you can't moderate yourselves, don't blame us if we have to come in and do it for you.
Prove me wrong, and show me that we (as I include myself here) can talk to each other like a grop of adults.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Chairface
Da Fig Finda

Post by Chairface »

Darkson wrote:Prove me wrong, and show me that we (as I include myself here) can talk to each other like a grop of adults.
You have more faith in human nature than I do. :wink:

http://www.impactminiatures.com
Longshot
Da Capt'ain

Post by Longshot »

we only try our best for you guys, dont forget that

thx ;)