I'd like to see all posts on the same page

Moderator: TFF Mods

How many of you would prefer it the other way?

I like the forum the way it is now
91%
I'd like to see your alternative system implemented
9%

Total votes: 43

Zombie
Legend
Legend

I'd like to see all posts on the same page

Post by Zombie »

I don't know how it's called or how to explain it really, but i'd like this forum to have a presentation like the BBC, with all posts showing under the one to which the reply is made, instead of having only a list of threads and only a list of posts for each thread, with no particular order to the posts other than chronological.

That type of forum is vastly superior, for the following reasons:
1. You can easily see who's replying to whom.
2. You can see in an instant which threads are more popular because they take up more space.
3. You can easily see which threads a particular individual is most implicated in.
4. It brings a lot of order to the chaos that is a forum with a presentation like this one.

For the record, the BBC had a presentation like this one for the first couple of days, until enough people had convinced Andy that the other way was much better, and he was forced to switch to the other system to please the crowd.

Personally, i hate forums with presentations like this one, enough in fact that it might keep me from coming back altogether.

Reason: ''
voyagers_uk
Da Cynic
Location: Nice Red Uniforms and Fanatical devotion to the Pope!

Post by voyagers_uk »

sorry, I never liked the way BBC was designed so in a similar vein to yourself didn't visit it much after that - plus the pure vitriol thrown around didn't make me eager to return.

I like this and the way it is laid out, using the posts since your last visit option to see what has been discussed and the colour options to see which topics are hot.

just my 2p anyway

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

I'm with voyagers.... I cannot stand the BBC Locker room format... too difficult to find the newest reply. There is no way I'd want that format here.

The quote system here makes it easy enough to respond to another poster.

Galak

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Re: I'd like to see all posts on the same page

Post by Deathwing »

Zombie wrote:That type of forum is vastly superior, for the following reasons:
1. You can easily see who's replying to whom.
2. You can see in an instant which threads are more popular because they take up more space.
3. You can easily see which threads a particular individual is most implicated in.
4. It brings a lot of order to the chaos that is a forum with a presentation like this one.
Have to disagree, I used to hate having to click on each individual post in order to read it on the BBC, it made browsing a lot slower for those of us on slower connections.

1. As said before, the quote system pretty much solves this, in fact it's easier in many ways in that you can edit the quote in order to respond to a particular point.
2. Any topic with more than 10 replies is indicated by a moving symbol, plus of course it's easy to see the amount of pages a topic runs to.
3. Agreed, but it's the subject matter rather than the posters that interests me. By clicking on an individual's profile, you can always go to a 'view all posts by this member'. It'll come up in chronological order, so can see which threads a member has been active in. Might help a little.
4. Don't quite understand where you're coming from with that point, IMO this board is far more ordered than the BBC in that there are much more specific sections, rather than the melee that used to exist in The Locker Room on the BBC, particularly at it's peak.

Another point is that the search facility works pretty well, frequently a topic will come up from a new member that's been covered before, and it's relatively easy to post a link to the relevent thread.

I understand that it could appear a little chaotic, and in this respect it'd help if people would be a little more specific in thread titles..'Piling On question' is vastly preferable to 'Rules question' for example.
Suggest you stick around and give yourself time to get used to it.
8)

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Furelli
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Furelli »

I agree. A great site with a good and easy to use layout.

Brilliant smilies too. :roll:

Furelli.

Am I living in a box? Am I living in a cardboard box?
Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

4. Don't quite understand where you're coming from with that point, IMO this board is far more ordered than the BBC in that there are much more specific sections, rather than the melee that used to exist in The Locker Room on the BBC, particularly at it's peak.
That's another point i forgot to mention. I already thought that 3 forums was 2 too many at BBC. The more sections you have, the harder it is to keep track of everything, and you just give up eventually.
Suggest you stick around and give yourself time to get used to it.
I've been to other forums in the past with a layout like this one. Never liked it, never will. To me, a forum where you can't see who's replying to whom is subpar, no matter what other options it has. Besides, you can keep all the cool features in here AND change the layout to make all posts visible at once like i mentioned.

Dangerous Dave
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Dangerous Dave »

I much prefer this format to the BBC one... not that I went there much anyway.

However, 1 small change would be great.... there is no way of knowing whether you have read all posts on a previous page when a new one starts - if the pages could be colour coded to show that you have read all posts on previous pages that would be cool. 8)

Dave

Thadrin
Moaning Git

Post by Thadrin »

I agree. BBC was a mess. The pop up ads, teh threads getting so long they vanished off the page...

No. This way better. MUCH better.

I know a bear that you don't know. * ICEPELT IS MY HERO.
Master bleater. * Not in the clique.
Member of the "3 digit" club.
Trambi
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Trambi »

I like TalkBloodBowl as it is. :P

Ogres are the only true Blood Bowl players !
Ogrewomen are the only true BB Cheerleaders !
JenniRP70
Da Ex-Boss

Post by JenniRP70 »

Nice to see so many people like TBB the way it is because it aint changing. All the coloured icons on the left are enough for me to see which topics have been modified since my last visit, coupled with the 'view all posts since last visit' option on the main page.

I may try and make a few ammendments to show recent postings for last 24 hours, week month etc. (as the previous version of PHPBB used at TBB did), but I am not wasting time rewriting somebody elses code that does an excellent job with its layout straight out of the box.

As for Zombie not coming back all together because he doesn't like the layout............knock yourself out Mr Z, its your loss. I don't like to see people leave TBB and not come back, but your reasons are just so lame. I think we have a very friendly, high quality set of Bloodbowler's at TBB with a lot of positive discussion. Im hoping that the BBRC will take notice of rule change proposals and the like that are made at TBB.

So, see ya Zombie and carry on everyone else.
JohnnyP

Snotling Championship League Commisioner
[url]http://www.bloodbowl.co.uk[/url]

Da Boss of TalkBloodBowl.com
neoliminal

Post by neoliminal »

For those that missed it, there's a link on the front page that allows you to see all the threads that have had replies since you last visited. This can be a very handy link.

tashton
Rookie
Rookie

not being an competant user of the web

Post by tashton »

its easy to use, no need to fix something that isnt broke. :D
may your snots be with you.

Zombie
Legend
Legend

Post by Zombie »

Well Johnny, it isn't just the layout, it's also many other small things that i can't mention here because they'd get deleted.

Anyway, i said <i>might</i>, so it's obviously not decided yet. But i did like the old BBC 10 times better than i like it here.

Furelli
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Furelli »

Nice to have such an opinionated chap on the site Zombie. I think the advice simply is that if you don't like the colour of someone else living room - tolerate.

Furelli.

Am I living in a box? Am I living in a cardboard box?
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

And the sound of one hand clapping is .......