DNS Problems

Moderator: TFF Mods

DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

DNS Problems

Post by DoubleSkulls »

From work I'm having some serious problems resolving the TalkBloodBowl domain name. I know others have had the same problem and have posted on the NAF site.

Er, so if JP gets a chance can he check its all propagating okay since it appears some DNS servers don't have the details.

Reason: ''
Ian 'Double Skulls' Williams
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

On behalf of all the non-technicals out there, can I just say:

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? :o

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
JJB
Honorary Asmodan

Post by JJB »

Ian, it seems to be good shit that you've been smoking! Pass the joint.

Fronko
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Fronko »

[Nerd_mode]
DNS = Domain Name System

As most of you guys know, every computer that is connected to the internet, has a unique ID, called an IP adress (IP = internet protocol). This is necessary, to separate all the numerous servers worldwide from each other. Well, the IP adress looks something like 81.168.2.123. So, if you wanted to contact any web server in the internet, you would have to remember these IP adresses.

So, someone clever invented domain names, which is nothing but attaching a name to an IP adress (roughly speaking). So, instead of typing the IP adress in your browser's adrress field, you type in the name. And this is where the DNS comes into play. As names and IP adresses keep constantly shifting in the volatile internet environment, some sort of dynamic database needs to be kept. Voila, the DNS. So, when you hit enter on "www.talkbloodbowl.com", internally your browser queries the next DNS server, asks it "Hey, dude, what internet adress is currently related to www.talkbloodbowl.com?" and the server answers "It's <insert IP adress here>." And only then, your browser can contact the actual web server of TBB.

Pretty complicated, it may seem, but it usually works. Now, the problem, Ian is hinting at is, that this DNS is a distributed system, which means, that not all DNS servers have all information about all server adresses (which is a pretty big number anyway couple of millions, I'd guess). So, if one server doesnt have the info of talkbloodbowl.com, it relays the request to another DNS server. And in this process, somewhere, is, where the problems might occur.

[/nerd_mode]

[img]http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p41/DesTroy1968/nba3-1.gif[/img]

Official wesleytj fan.
jaylazer
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by jaylazer »

With the help of the System Admins here at my work I found a pretty simple work around (for Windows XP at least).

edit the file C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\etc\hosts

after the line that looks like this:
127.0.0.1 localhost

add this line
81.168.2.123 www.talkbloodbowl.com

Basically, this just tells your PC what IP address to use without it having to go look it up.

Jay
NAF number: 559
Ravage
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ravage »

i would highly recomment people NOT edit their hosts file. What happens if/when talkbloodbowl gets assigned a new IP? Suddenly they dont have a prayer of getting back, and chances are they dont know enough about computers to fix the problem themselves. Heck, chances are they've long since forgotten about the "fix" you gave them with their hosts file.

Too much information is damaging, and giving the masses access to the hosts file can have violent repercussions. Not to mention it's taking a bazooka to an anthill to have people editing their hosts file over a DNS problem that will likely clear itself up.

jaylazer
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by jaylazer »

Ravage wrote:i would highly recomment people NOT edit their hosts file. What happens if/when talkbloodbowl gets assigned a new IP? Suddenly they dont have a prayer of getting back, and chances are they dont know enough about computers to fix the problem themselves. Heck, chances are they've long since forgotten about the "fix" you gave them with their hosts file.

Too much information is damaging, and giving the masses access to the hosts file can have violent repercussions. Not to mention it's taking a bazooka to an anthill to have people editing their hosts file over a DNS problem that will likely clear itself up.
Hadn't even thought about this. I'll probably be one of the guys who forgets he made the change and can't figure out why it doesn't work 2 months from now. :oops:

Jay
NAF number: 559
Ravage
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Ravage »

see? :) ;)

Snew
Legend
Legend

Post by Snew »

I disagree. Edit the host file if it doesn't work now. Ask again later if it quits again. What's the worst that will happen? You have to load the OS again? Big deal. That's probably what needs to happen anyway to fix it and this is just a band-aid.

Have fun!
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Editing the hosts file doesn't help me either - since its the work's new IPCop &^%$ - that can't find TBB - my own machine (on the same network) can see it fine (or I could if it wasn't for that &*%&*$ IPCop).

bluetooth
Star Player
Star Player

Post by bluetooth »

It seems that the DNS problem is still out there. I can connect to TBB from work but cannot connect at home. I succeeded once a month ago, but haven't got any luck otherwise within last 5 months. My home computer is in other network (different ISP) than my job.

I contacted my ISP and they tried to connect the site but with no luck. They promised to check the problem with more care and to find a solution.

Nuffle Sucks!
Superior Heretic
Nuffle Blasphemer's Association
Winner of [url=http://www.hattrick.org/Common/default.asp]Hattrick[/url] Talk Blood Bowl Cup V, VI and VII
DoubleSkulls
Da Admin

Post by DoubleSkulls »

Did you try jaylazer's instructions?

bluetooth
Star Player
Star Player

Post by bluetooth »

ianwilliams wrote:Did you try jaylazer's instructions?
Nope, not yet. I've asked my networkgurubrother tho, if it's ok and safe to do so and how its done with a Mac.

Nuffle Sucks!
Superior Heretic
Winner of [url=http://www.hattrick.org/Common/default.asp]Hattrick[/url] Talk Blood Bowl Cup V, VI and VII
bluetooth
Star Player
Star Player

Post by bluetooth »

Just got the instructions how to add the site. When I get back home, I'll try wheter I got it working or not.

Nuffle Sucks!
Superior Heretic
Babs
Super Star
Super Star

Argh! Still problems

Post by Babs »

I'm still having problems at both work and at home. However I can get on at the public library and at two other people's ISP's.

I think that the common element is a firewall thingy (DNS resolution?) called Squid. It can't resolve it.

GIven that 2 BBRC members can't get onto TBB as well as they'd like - there's still very much a problem I'd say.

=-) Babs (crotchety old, washed up has-been)
ex-BBRC member
ex-NAF AUS/NZ Tournament organiser

Make sure you have read the Feudball Novel.