Animosity

Moderator: TFF Mods

Chinos
Experienced
Experienced

Animosity

Post by Chinos »

When exactly is the roll for animosity made?
Is it when the action is declared (P42 Declaring Actions) or when the actual Action takes place e.g Hand-Off (P51 Hand-Off)?

This came up last night in a game where I needed my OWA Halfling to move and pick up a loose ball then Hand-Off to the Human Catcher. We initially played if as the Animosity roll was made at the point of the actual Hand-Off but on reviewing the rules thought it actually should be tested at the point of Declaration.

According to Animosity (P81) a failed Animosity roll ends the model's activation.

Failing it at the point of the Hand-Off would at least mean the ball was in the Halfling's hands; failing it at Declaration would mean I couldn't even move to pick up the ball.

Reason: ''
Less social butterfly, more anti-social moth.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: Animosity

Post by lunchmoney »

Going by other skills that need a roll at activation I would say Animosity is rolled immediately and the action is lost (akin to Foul Appearance for example).

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Chinos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Chinos »

That works for a Hand-Off but not a Pass - you don't declare the intended target square for a Pass until the point of throwing (Declare Target Square P48) by which point you've moved and picked the ball up (actually states you declare after moving the player).

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

You asked about Hand Off not Pass in your OP and I think you've answered your own question in your reply ;)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Chinos
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Chinos »

Very true.

Think I'll just accept it's ambiguous at best, totally f@cked at worst. :lol:

Jayward
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Jayward »

I took Orcs to my last two tournaments and was playing it like Foul Appearance; roll when you declare the action.

However, taking a closer look at the wording I think I was wrong. Every other trait/skill that has the potential to cancel an action (so all the Negatraits and Foul Appearance) use the wording 'declare', but Animosity uses 'perform'.

With both Pass and Hand Off the rules state that 'The player may move before performing the [Pass/Hand-Off] action' (emphasis mine)

So I now think that your initial thought was correct; I believe the roll happens at the point the action is taking place

Smooth seas never made a skilled sailor
Centipede
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Centipede »

With the Hand Off and Pass you don't choose the target until you're making the action. Unless they changed the wording to match Blitz?