Newest Zlurpcast

For all podcast chat

Moderator: TFF Mods

Baduk
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Newest Zlurpcast

Post by Baduk »

I only started listening at #68. Such a great BLOOD BOWL podcast. I hope JP reads this.
After the first episode I had mixed feelings (you don't just hate on the best game like that) but I found myself laughing out loud in the third episode a lot (Nacho Bandit might be a contender for joining the podcast imho!) so thumbs up.

Extreme though, I'm not sure what to think of. Could do with a bit more enthusiasm/positivity maybe? Organised a tournament but not able to tell how much fun it was? JP and the bandit had to drag it out of him. Wouldn't want to miss him though! Looking forward to the next one and I'm considering downloading the "history" (history can be a good thing JP!).

Reason: ''
Jonny_P
Zlurpcast Main Guy

Post by Jonny_P »

Thanks for checking it out.

I've had a tumultuous marriage to Blood Bowl for 25 years. It's over.

Now I just bought a sports car and looking for a hot young game. 8)

Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Olaf the Stout »

I haven't listened to the latest Zlurpcast yet (behind on all my BB podcasts at the moment). Are you giving up on Blood Bowl, Jonny_P?

sirsebstar
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by sirsebstar »

oh noes

Jonny_P
Zlurpcast Main Guy

Post by Jonny_P »

Olaf the Stout wrote:I haven't listened to the latest Zlurpcast yet (behind on all my BB podcasts at the moment). Are you giving up on Blood Bowl, Jonny_P?
I think so. At least for awhile.

Last few tournaments weren't much fun (even if I won a few games) and I finished a local league without enjoying it too much. I try not to be too negative as I don't want to influence others, but if people ask, I tell them. I'm just having way more fun playing other games. Right now, it's Frostgrave and Deadzone. I'm trying to make Guild Ball work on a hex field as I don't like measuring in sports games. I have a friend who wants me to try Age of Sigmar. We'll see how that goes... I was trying to ignore the game, but the Khorne dudes do look pretty cool to me.

For the sake of a podcast, I feel that the listener, even a hardcore Blood Bowl fan, will like the new format better. Rather than force Blood Bowl talk and have several months in between, you can listen to us talk about a variety of table top games and have a new show every month. You will be able to hear the passion in our voices about whatever we are talking about because it's games we are currently playing and enjoying.

Next episode, we are interviewing Brent Spivey, the designer of a great strategy football board game heavily influenced by old school football video games. Tech?No! Bowl is the name. I tried it at Gencon and loved it. Currently on Kickstarter. That episode should be up by this Friday at the latest as we are recording tonight.

Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Olaf the Stout »

Jonny_P wrote:
Olaf the Stout wrote:I haven't listened to the latest Zlurpcast yet (behind on all my BB podcasts at the moment). Are you giving up on Blood Bowl, Jonny_P?
I think so. At least for awhile.

Last few tournaments weren't much fun (even if I won a few games) and I finished a local league without enjoying it too much. I try not to be too negative as I don't want to influence others, but if people ask, I tell them. I'm just having way more fun playing other games. Right now, it's Frostgrave and Deadzone. I'm trying to make Guild Ball work on a hex field as I don't like measuring in sports games. I have a friend who wants me to try Age of Sigmar. We'll see how that goes... I was trying to ignore the game, but the Khorne dudes do look pretty cool to me.

For the sake of a podcast, I feel that the listener, even a hardcore Blood Bowl fan, will like the new format better. Rather than force Blood Bowl talk and have several months in between, you can listen to us talk about a variety of table top games and have a new show every month. You will be able to hear the passion in our voices about whatever we are talking about because it's games we are currently playing and enjoying.

Next episode, we are interviewing Brent Spivey, the designer of a great strategy football board game heavily influenced by old school football video games. Tech?No! Bowl is the name. I tried it at Gencon and loved it. Currently on Kickstarter. That episode should be up by this Friday at the latest as we are recording tonight.
I've now caught up on the last couple of episodes and listened to the one where you said you were changing up the format of the show, followed by episodes largely about Guild Ball and Supershow.

I don't play either of those games (mainly due to lack of free time), so I definitely tuned out a little when the discussion went into some of the more detailed strategic discussions about those games. That said, I'll still be subscribing and listening going forward as I quite like the humour and banter between the two of you.

How are you finding Frostgrave? I've not tried it due to my aforementioned lack of free time, but it seems to be getting almost unanimous good reviews from those that have played it.

Jonny_P
Zlurpcast Main Guy

Post by Jonny_P »

Thanks for sticking with the show! :D

Frostgrave is lots of fun. You can't take it too seriously as it's D20 so anything can happen. Also when you fight someone, it's not the different in results is the damage dealt. It's whatever the winner rolled vs your armor. So my Thief (+1) is attacking your Barbarian (+4). I roll an 18 with my +1 I have a 19. You roll a 14 with your +4 you are at 18. So while my roll won by 1, it's actually 19 minus your armor rating of 10, giving you 9 points of damage. If I rolled a natural 20, it would deal double damage too...almost instant kill.

The bulk of the game involves your wizard and casting spells to either attack enemies or buff your other models. There are like 80 spells to choose from. You want to acquire treasures to gain money and other items between games. I find it best to play in a loose league format where you can build up all models, not just the wizard and his apprentice.

There are lots of house rules out there for running campaigns and such. Here is one that many people use: https://27zcxaf4lwy4egz181n2oql9-wpengi ... s_v1.2.pdf

innerdemon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by innerdemon »

I am enjoying your podcast. I was not a listener of Zlurpcast until last year. When you changed the direction of the format for the new season, I was fine with it. It is good to hear about all the stuff you guys are digging on at the moment.

Out of curiosity I did go back and listen to the first 4 or 5 episodes of Zlurpcast. Back in those days you guys had some hilarious bits, but more importantly the show then and the show now had one thing in common. You can tell that you guys are passionate again about the stuff you guys talk about.

keep up the good work.

Olaf the Stout
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Olaf the Stout »

Jonny_P wrote:Thanks for sticking with the show! :D

Frostgrave is lots of fun. You can't take it too seriously as it's D20 so anything can happen. Also when you fight someone, it's not the different in results is the damage dealt. It's whatever the winner rolled vs your armor. So my Thief (+1) is attacking your Barbarian (+4). I roll an 18 with my +1 I have a 19. You roll a 14 with your +4 you are at 18. So while my roll won by 1, it's actually 19 minus your armor rating of 10, giving you 9 points of damage. If I rolled a natural 20, it would deal double damage too...almost instant kill.

The bulk of the game involves your wizard and casting spells to either attack enemies or buff your other models. There are like 80 spells to choose from. You want to acquire treasures to gain money and other items between games. I find it best to play in a loose league format where you can build up all models, not just the wizard and his apprentice.

There are lots of house rules out there for running campaigns and such. Here is one that many people use: https://27zcxaf4lwy4egz181n2oql9-wpengi ... s_v1.2.pdf
That sounds pretty interesting. Might have to look into it further.

Also, you mentioned on the podcast that you wanted to play Devil's Run. Have you given it a go yet?

I haven't played it myself, but I followed along with their Kickstarter and almost backed it. I'd be interested in hearing what it's like.

Jonny_P
Zlurpcast Main Guy

Post by Jonny_P »

For people who keep saying "it's NOT a Blood Bowl podcast", they sure didn't wait too long to talk about Blood Bowl again! :wink:

Give it a listen if you have 2 hours to kill. We review the new box set and speculate on the future of the game.

http://zlurpcast.com/category/episodes/ ... lood-bowl/

Jonny_P
Zlurpcast Main Guy

Post by Jonny_P »

Hey. We are back. And it's all Blood Bowl.

Coming soon to various podcast apps, but for now you can find it here:

https://zlurpcast.podbean.com/e/the-ret ... l-friends/