Abstaining from ranking

News and announcements from the worldwide Blood Bowl players' association

Moderator: TFF Mods

hutchinsfairy
Experienced
Experienced

Re: Abstaining from ranking

Post by hutchinsfairy »

The trouble with some of the solutions being discussed is that it penalises the opponents. Even ranking them against a single generic "Anonymous Coach" would result in less rich data. I presume this is why the NAF feel compelled to keep recording data for lapsed members, even though it removes a major incentive for NAF membership.

Like most systems, it all works fine as long as everyone involved acts like reasonable adults. The problem here is that the adults are having to find reasonable solutions to what is demonstrably an attention seeking temper tantrum. It's a shame the volunteers at the NAF and the TOs with actual things to get done are having to spend their time responding to churlish histrionics.

It would be a shame if we ended up having draconian measures like mandatory NAF membership for sanctioned tournaments or paying members having their match results unranked just because a single person couldn't let the conversation move on.

Reason: ''
viyullas
Rookie
Rookie

Post by viyullas »

The easy way to achive Darksons expectations is to register to tournements you don't want to be recorded with a different non-NAF username.
I have been in Darkson's position last year and TO forced my results to NAF altough I didn't want to be NAF recorded.

And it is not a matter of having good or bad results I don't care about NAF's ranking.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

viyullas wrote: I don't care about NAF's ranking.
If you dont care about ranking why do you care enough to ask for them not to be entered?

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
dreamscreator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dreamscreator »

There are two scenarios with the "Anonymous coach" here:
A- People never have been NAF Member
B- People with NAF Member expired

I think would be helpful have a "Anonymous coach" or "NON NAF" member to record all that games played against people that aren't NAF Member. About people who have the NAF Member expired, it's a thing to be discussed I guess.

It would be great if in the next reunion have a clarification about this and private information thing, and have a clear NAF policy in the website. Maybe add a disclaimer when you renew or sign up as a Member would be fix future problems.

Champion: Chimera Cup '17, Coffee Cup '18, Manticore Mug '18, Lucentum Twinbowl '20, Squig Trophy II '20, No me toques los Gnoblars '21
Stunty Cup: Exebowl '14; Bubba Bowl '17; OlletaBowl '20
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Just because someones opinions are different doesnt mean they deserve to be insulted.

Its the same thing that happenes everytime someone goes agianst the norm. The pro naf bullies kick up a storm and anyone else would have had something else to say gets scared off.

I think "i want my games recorded just because i like it" is exactly the same as "i dont want them recorded because i dont like it"

Seriously and people call me a troll? Keep putting the pear pressure on people to join the nAF if you like, theres plenty of other games systems out there to play and plenty of local games going on.

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Hobnail
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hobnail »

Winner - Caerdydd Cup (2019)
Most TD - Exiles (20)(2015), Exebowl (10)(2017)
Stunty Cup - Welsh Open (2016,2019), Exiles (2016), CakeBowl (2019), GertBowl (2019)

SWTC Stunty Champion 2016, 2019
Most Casualties - Elflympics (27(net 25))(2017)
straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by straume »

frogboy wrote:Just because someones opinions are different doesnt mean they deserve to be insulted.
I think "i want my games recorded just because i like it" is exactly the same as "i dont want them recorded because i dont like it"
Sounds reasonable, but I respectfully disagree. Well; for a non-member deciding the pro and cons for joining? Sure. But what is the NAF? I would argue that the rankings are an integral part of this members club. From the NAF website "The NAF is an international association of players dedicated to Blood Bowl – the Games Workshop game of fantasy football. The NAF acts as a central resource for Blood Bowl coaches the world over – offering news, contacts, discussion, sanctioned tournaments and international player rankings." (my emphasis)

So why join the club if you oppose one of the main objectives with the club? To me it would be like becoming vegetarian, but still eating bacon because that is just what is the right sort of vegetarianism for you. I would go so far as to say if you strongly oppose rankings (and I mean oppose, not being indifferent too, indifferent is of course fine) then the NAF is not the best club for you. As is vegetarianism not the right thing for me (I like bacon).

(PS! I hope you read this as friendly and non-inflammatory, just offering my opinion and surely wouldn`t want to be perceived as bullying anyone away. Especially as I remember you even got me a beer at Welsh Open!)

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Hobnail wrote:Image
Ok ok im switching the internet off

Bye...

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Hobnail
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hobnail »

My honest opinion is that this is a matter for the NAF committee to decide upon in general behind closed doors (or in private with Darkson regarding his particular issue) rather than in an open forum and then write into their charter.

If I were a BB newcomer and stumbled across this embarrassment of a thread I would so NOT be joining the NAF; nor would I be attending any sanctioned events.

Winner - Caerdydd Cup (2019)
Most TD - Exiles (20)(2015), Exebowl (10)(2017)
Stunty Cup - Welsh Open (2016,2019), Exiles (2016), CakeBowl (2019), GertBowl (2019)

SWTC Stunty Champion 2016, 2019
Most Casualties - Elflympics (27(net 25))(2017)
JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Just allow individual users to set their profiles to 'private' or 'hidden' or whatever. Their opponents will still get the points for rankings, but the individuals details and match records can be hidden if they so wish.

The NAF is about far more than just ranking tournaments. It'd be a shame if we forgot that. Everyone should be welcome to join in and to handle their data as they choose. There is no benefit to be gained in forcing everyone to be active in the rankings and expecting everyone to be the same.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Hobnail wrote:My honest opinion is that this is a matter for the NAF committee to decide upon in general behind closed doors (or in private with Darkson regarding his particular issue) rather than in an open forum and then write into their charter.

If I were a BB newcomer and stumbled across this embarrassment of a thread I would so NOT be joining the NAF; nor would I be attending any sanctioned events.
Agreed it's not great. I thought this was a simple announcement about a fix to a piece of NAF policy which was in practice redundant anyway. Again, thanks for sorting it NAF.

Might take Frogboy's advice and turn the internet off (this little corner of it at any rate) :lol:

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Jip
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Jip »

Hobnail wrote:If I were a BB newcomer and stumbled across this embarrassment of a thread I would so NOT be joining the NAF; nor would I be attending any sanctioned events.
Agree agree agree.

As a relatively new player, I think that about more and more threads on here. It's not as passive-aggressive as the Facebook group (yet), but even the sensible posts frequently end up descending into petty squabbles. I clocked that and mentioned it not long after I went to my first tournament, but it still remains.

This thread is a direct example; anyone looking at going to SAWBBBowl (I know it's full, but people will still read the thread), a tournament built on being a relatively good introduction to NAF and/or tournament Blood Bowl, will see that the thread went way off piste at the end, before being ushered into another room (well, thread).

Can't believe this one has stumbled on for six pages, so far... :o

Aspiring to improve on mid-table mediocrity, over in the SAWBBL.

Fancy an actual one-dayer? Check out The Coffee Cup.

Looking at attending your first tournament? Have a read of this.
VoodooMike
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by VoodooMike »

hutchinsfairy wrote:Even ranking them against a single generic "Anonymous Coach" would result in less rich data.
How, exactly? Does the NAF calculate people's rankings based on a elo-style formula? If not, it doesn't matter who your opponent was, just that you won or lost. The data that the NAF has released has not been particularly rich data to begin with from what I've seen, either.
hutchinsfairy wrote:Like most systems, it all works fine as long as everyone involved acts like reasonable adults.
You're skirting dangerously close to talking about "right-thinking" people, now, by defining those who think like you to be reasonable, and those who clearly do not to be unreasonable or immature.
frogboy wrote:Just because someones opinions are different doesnt mean they deserve to be insulted.
Luckily there are a lot of other good reasons to insult people ;)
hobnail wrote:My honest opinion is that this is a matter for the NAF committee to decide upon in general behind closed doors (or in private with Darkson regarding his particular issue) rather than in an open forum and then write into their charter.
The NAF's lack of transparency has always been one of its weaknesses - it is insular and opaque, and often accomplishes nothing noteworthy across a given election term. Doing everything behind closed doors, especially when the results affect people outside that closed room, does little to help demonstrate the relevance of the organization to those who question it.
hobnail wrote:If I were a BB newcomer and stumbled across this embarrassment of a thread I would so NOT be joining the NAF; nor would I be attending any sanctioned events.
If I were a newcomer I'd find it hard to find any reason to join the NAF unless I was about to play a tournament that required it. The NAF has done little to cultivate a positive relationship with BB players, opting instead to pursue ways to make people feel they need to join it rather than wanting to join it. The emphasis has been "If you don't join the NAF you can't..." rather than making people who aren't yet members see how the organization makes the game better for them and making them want to be a part of it.

I think the NAF should focus on cleaning up the dirt rather than pushing it under carpets lest outsiders realize it exists.

JT-Y
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Well said Mike. Much of that echoes my own thoughts exactly.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Twelfman
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Twelfman »

Gentle reminder that we did a big NAF debate on the podcast, regarding the good points and bad points etc. https://anythingbuta1podcast.wordpress. ... verything/