Post by Purplegoo »

Cheers, Kevin. ;) See you in Cardiff!

Reason: ''
plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Re: New TD - AMA!

Post by plasmoid »

Mr. Goo - how many (rough estimate) tournaments would you say are using some sort of tiering rules so far in 2018?
Cheers
Martin

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

It's a total guess, but I should think approximately 70 % of tournaments have some form of tiering, even if it's just having some extra help for Stunties. There are regions that don't care for it or have different fashions, there are regions that take it really far. Just a feeling though - the real number might be a chunk off either way.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

No real way to pull the data, I assume? It would be brute force approach of reading all the rules for every tourney?

No thank you :lol:

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

I should imagine so, it's all submitted in text or links to other sites rather than enforced numerical fields.

If you were super interested in just the base question without any granularity, it wouldn't take too long to skim a reasonably sized sample. You could do, 150, say in an hour or less if all you were looking for is evidence of tiering and no detail. A job for someone not me, having said that. ;)

plasmoid
Legend
Legend

Post by plasmoid »

Thanks!

Narrow Tier BB? http://www.plasmoids.dk/bbowl/NTBB.htm
Or just visit http://www.plasmoids.dk instead
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

Hi all!

My June NAF TD blog is up. I've not played any TT BB in June, so no tournament report over at thetacklezone.net this time.

Hope you enjoy!

Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

Hello all,

July blog time! Check here for the NAF stuff, and here for a report on the third Bilbao Team Cup.

Some cracking images and words from TOs this month, and the BTC is a real humdinger of an event. Worth a skim with a cup of tea, if nothing else. ;)

Cheers!

Phil.

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Thanks Phil. Always a good read!

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Thinking of complementing the blog with a monthly stat roundup. Anything you can think of that would be good to add?

http://talkfantasyfootball.org/download ... &mode=view

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by straume »

Great idea and nice work! I love the stats you have pulled there. Them Orcs are as popular as ever!

Perhaps add a pie chart of race winners for the month?

(also: Keep up the good work Phil, always an enjoyable read)

mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

Good blog again Phil. I maintain that your photo of me from The Waterbowl is the best from the year however ;)

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Liking the stats too, Sann. Was trying to think of some fun, silly stats (à la Andy Saltzman) to add in for occasional irreverence, but guess it's hard when we only count TDs for and against...

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Post by Purplegoo »

mawph wrote:Good blog again Phil. I maintain that your photo of me from The Waterbowl is the best from the year however ;)
Agreed. ;)

On stats - it's difficult to think up meaningful things to look at from a single month of tournaments. Simple win rate by race, for instance, will be super noisy because of the huge variation in rulespacks and the relatively small sample size across a month.

One thing that would be interesting / valuable is to look at over time is the sub-set of tournaments running the World Cup rules. The team are interested in which / how many tournaments running the WC pack for practice, and these tournaments have the same ruleset, so any stats you pull out will be interesting because the environment is the same. Sadly, I suspect it'll take some manual detective work to get at those numbers, but if that interests you, I'm sure we'd all be interested to see how the races are doing?

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Purplegoo wrote:One thing that would be interesting / valuable is to look at over time is the sub-set of tournaments running the World Cup rules. The team are interested in which / how many tournaments running the WC pack for practice, and these tournaments have the same ruleset, so any stats you pull out will be interesting because the environment is the same. Sadly, I suspect it'll take some manual detective work to get at those numbers, but if that interests you, I'm sure we'd all be interested to see how the races are doing?
As you see most/all tourneys that come through, if you put an obvious tag (NAFWC2019) at the beginning of the text description of the tournament, then I can pick that up? Would that seem manageable?

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler