Tournament series that cover the same area?

News and announcements from the worldwide Blood Bowl players' association

Moderator: TFF Mods

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Tournament series that cover the same area?

Post by Bakunin »

Is it possible to make a tournament series that covers some Location, that is already covered by another series.

So if you had a series that covered germany as a whole and also one that only covers a the south of germany?
Or one that covers all of Scandinavia/North and one only for Finland etc.?

And could a tourney be in both series?

Reason: ''
Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Re: Tournament series that cover the same area?

Post by lunchmoney »

Don't see why not, we already do in the UK. The Golden Gauntlet covers there whole UK, then there's the SWTC in the south and the Scottish Championship up north.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

lunchmoney wrote:Don't see why not, we already do in the UK. The Golden Gauntlet covers there whole UK, then there's the SWTC in the south and the Scottish Championship up north.
Are tourneys in two series at the same time?

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

Bakunin wrote:
lunchmoney wrote:Don't see why not, we already do in the UK. The Golden Gauntlet covers there whole UK, then there's the SWTC in the south and the Scottish Championship up north.
Are tourneys in two series at the same time?
Yes, Ithink all the SWTC tourney's are in the Golden Gauntlet.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

All that said, is the Golden Gauntlet a NAF-series (i.e. it gives away the NAF series prizes) or just something Pipey set up?
Honest question, as I didn't follow the GG that closely, seeing as I wasn't playing BB over the last year.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

As far as i know Pipey took it upon himself to do it. But it is a NAF series in the same way as SWTC (we also have NAF prizes, the medals).

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

Yeah, this was one of the main objections to the Golden Gauntlet becoming a NAF series, actually.

I can see situations in which it might work in principle, but there's some anxiety around cheapening the series if there's (for instance) a North American series an East Coast Series within that, a Southeastern Series within that, a Virginia Series within that. Especially if the winners are all getting the same basic reward at the end of them all.

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

[quote="Gaixo"]Yeah, this was one of the main objections to the Golden Gauntlet becoming a NAF series, actually.

But is it?

Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

It is indeed. As discussed with Tojurub.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

(I guess I see the argument of multiple overlapping series being theoretically problematic. But surely it would be a real shame if a UK series were denied NAF support because of the existence of the Scottish Championship and South West Championship. The UK Championship was run for a few years around 7 or 8 years ago; GGUK is really just intended to be a rebranded, tweaked version of that.)

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

I don't see any problem with it, anything which encourages people to attend tournaments and support them is great IMO.

:orc:

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
besters

Post by besters »

frogboy wrote:I don't see any problem with it, anything which encourages people to attend tournaments and support them is great IMO.

:orc:
+1

Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

By that reasoning we should offer NAF trophies to 1-round tournaments of 2 or more people, right? There's a point at which no one is encouraged because there's no real accomplishment involved.

There doesn't seem to be any issue in this particular case, but if the UK (for example) were to have two dozen overlapping series, winning one wouldn't mean anything to anyone.

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Gaixo wrote:By that reasoning we should offer NAF trophies to 1-round tournaments of 2 or more people, right? There's a point at which no one is encouraged because there's no real accomplishment involved.

There doesn't seem to be any issue in this particular case, but if the UK (for example) were to have two dozen overlapping series, winning one wouldn't mean anything to anyone.
No, that would be silly lol :)

So I should have specified that anything that encourages people to attend NAF Sanctioned tournaments is great.

GG is much harder to win than the SWTC or the STC due to the amount of tournaments available and the wider range people have to travel. I don't think it cheapens the trophy at all. Likewise if you want to compete ether of the other two then you have to concentrate on that and maybe miss out on the other.

We are lucky in the UK to have lots of tournaments. I could spend all year in the South West and play 1 a month or I could travel further a field and miss out on some South West Tournaments, but why would I want to do that, go out my comfort zone, travel further etc. Well the Golden Gauntlet of course.
Perhaps in Germany this could have similar reasons, it encourages people to travel, to meet new coaches and still have something to play for when maybe you know your not going to win the tournament but that last game could push you up the table enough to gain a few more points on the Championship table.

NAF trophy's are important.

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Gaixo

Post by Gaixo »

I thought we had something in the rules about this, and here it is:
A tournament must receive advance permission (from the TD/TSD) if it wants to take part in more than one series. This will usually not be permitted.
We can assume that Tojurub (currently serving as Tournament Series Director) granted retroactive permission for tournaments to participate in both the Golden Gauntlet and the other series. This was an attempt to accommodate a successful existing series; for new series this sort of exception is less likely to be made.