How could a new BBRC work?

News and announcements from the worldwide Blood Bowl players' association

Moderator: TFF Mods

Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: How could a new BBRC work?

Post by Darkson »

dode74 wrote:TW/DoW pay very differently to the board game versions; BB does not.
Well, if it has AV8 human catchers, Break Tackle always used on the first dodge and no Pass Block (as examples), yes it does play differently.

Reason: ''
Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Sometime around 1997, I was playing Chaos Dwarves and gave a Blocker Pass Block on the theory that occasionally being able to move during my opponent's turn might get me more blocks, plus the occasional interception. I ended up never using it.

I haven't taken Pass Block since then, on any player, on any team. And I haven't even seen it used on anyone else, across multiple tabletop leagues, online leagues, and tournaments.

If Pass Block is removed from BB2, I doubt it would affect anyone's game. In fact, without several threads of people complaining about how mean old Cyanide is (rumored to be) taking away that super-critical Pass Block skill, I probably wouldn't have even noticed it's gone.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Well that's settled then - rolo doesn't use Pass Block so it doesn't matter that it's been removed. :roll:

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

1. GW to host a rules pdf with the Cyanide rules in it.
Or
2. GW to say (openly) that Cyanide are now the official rules body for Blood Bowl.
Good to know your preferences. Do GW have to host it out do they just have to sign off on it? After all, GW aren't even hosting their own rules right now. Is it reasonable to hold a new set of rules to a different standard to those you consider to be official now?
Darkson wrote:Well, if it has AV8 human catchers, Break Tackle always used on the first dodge and no Pass Block (as examples), yes it does play differently.
I said very differently. House rules like that are still pretty much comparable while a real time version isn't.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

dode74 wrote:Do GW have to host it out do they just have to sign off on it?
What? Assuming "out" is meant to be "or", then your first point is covered by #1, you second point is covered by #2.
If you mean something else you'd better re-write it, as I've no idea what you mean.
dode74 wrote:Is it reasonable to hold a new set of rules to a different standard to those you consider to be official now?
Again, no idea what you're getting at here. #1 isn't different, #2 is GW prerogative, seeing as they own GW.
dode74 wrote:I said very differently. House rules like that are still pretty much comparable while a real time version isn't.
No, I disagree. I changed my play-style for many teams due to "changes" (bugs mainly, though they tried to say they were features) in their game, so I'm happy to say it plays very differently - Ogres , Frenzy teams [because of the chain-push bug], hence the use of "for example". The old MBBL2 was just a bunch of house rules over the TT game, but that also played very differently.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Autocorrect ;)

Your second point does not cover it since your second point demands a handover of control rather than an acceptance of changes.

Difference is a matter of degree. All bb games are different by the definition you've just provided, but they are still similar in concept: turn based, dice rolling, tactical movement. DoW/TW share none of those traits with their TT versions. Those are the differences I am talking about, but feel free to carry on listing other stuff I'm not talking about in order to try to prove an irrelevant point regarding degree of difference and your intolerance of it ;)

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Darkson wrote:Well that's settled then - rolo doesn't use Pass Block so it doesn't matter that it's been removed. :roll:
This is finally a sensible and easy way to figure out which potential rule changes are worth while!

I am happy to offer the community at large further commentary on topics such as, "Do we really need four different Elf teams" or "Rat Ogres: Rolo thinks they're overpriced!".

:-D

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

sann0638 wrote:
Bakunin wrote:democratize NAF!
Yeah, elections! http://talkfantasyfootball.org/viewtopi ... 81&t=41401

Voting doesn't make a organisation democratic. Having the general membership as the controlling body - makes a organisation democratic....
Dont get why people are wating for a gw seal of approval. Why would you care what gw or jervis or whoever thinks/does. They dont support the game any more, and if one wishs for a lrb7/CRP+, then it got to be a community thing.
And before anyone starts on the whole IP stuff - look at yakromunda! They host a community edition of necromunda (the difference here is that necromunda is still a bad 90's game, with broken rules and the community edition does nothing to fix it)
BUT we have a great game in our hands.

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Bakunin wrote:(the difference here is that necromunda is still a bad 90's game, with broken rules and the community edition does nothing to fix it)
Apart from this line I agree with your post, but Necromunda is also a great game.
I'd also point out that Yakromunda hosts different (non-GW) versions of Mordheim.

Bakunin
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Bakunin »

Darkson wrote:
Bakunin wrote:(the difference here is that necromunda is still a bad 90's game, with broken rules and the community edition does nothing to fix it)
Apart from this line I agree with your post, but Necromunda is also a great game.
I'd also point out that Yakromunda hosts different (non-GW) versions of Mordheim.
Really like the necromunda fluff, but the game needs a overhaul. Make it more board game style on hexagons and remove all the eyeball rulings...
Anyway, yakromunda show that it is possible.

Galak 3:16 says "There is a point in time that a player really should read the rulebook."
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Bakunin wrote:Really like the necromunda fluff, but the game needs a overhaul. Make it more board game style on hexagons and remove all the eyeball rulings...
[Off-topic] but yuk! :puke: No thanks.

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

Bakunin wrote:Anywhy, yakromunda show that it is possible.
Unofficial rule changes and therefore just house rules.
The thing is, that you need something known and accessible to all players from an official channel.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Well, anything that doesn't come from GW (as the owner of the game) is unofficial, so I don't see your point.
There's no difference in the NCE (Necromunda Community Edition) hosted on Yakromunda and a potential NAFLRB hosted by the NAF or CyanideLRB hosted by Cyanide.

Regash

Post by Regash »

Darkson wrote:There's no difference in the NCE (Necromunda Community Edition) hosted on Yakromunda and a potential NAFLRB hosted by the NAF or CyanideLRB hosted by Cyanide.
Exactly! That is why we need an official rules commitee.

Seriously, how could you ever even dream of getting some rules out there, everyone agrees to use when you can't reach the playerbase?
Everything out there for me is just house rules since all the rule changes are made in some dark corner by I don't know who and it's just pure luck if you'll meet people out there who happen to have heard of those "new" rules and who happen to have adopted them.
Which group or website could ever claim to speak for the player base out there?

I only joined the NAF way back in time so my opponents would get their ratings for the games they played against me.
Since I don't attend tournaments anymore, I don't have any use for a NAF membership. (Correct me if I'm wrong!)
In fact, I never had a use for NAF because I give a sh*t about my rating. I play for fun, not for achievements.
NAF only stands for the tournament scene, local league players don't have any benefit, at least it seems so to me.
Do I want NAF to change the rules? Nope, 'cause I fear they only will serve the tournament community and probably won't care about perpetual leagues.
(Just to make that clear, that is just MY opinion!)

If GW would announce that Cyanide is the new authority concerning rules for Blood Bowl, so be it!
But until that happens, everything is just house rules and I won't adopt those to my boardgame Blood Bowl.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Regash wrote:Exactly! That is why we need an official rules commitee.
Going to be waiting a long time then.