How could a new BBRC work?

News and announcements from the worldwide Blood Bowl players' association

Moderator: TFF Mods

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Re: How could a new BBRC work?

Post by Regash »

Darkson wrote:Going to be waiting a long time then.
You are probably right.
But what else can we do and not break the community into a lot of different fragments?

Should there be one rule set for online play, one for tournaments, one for leagues, one for one-shot games?
And all this spiced up by myriads of house rules too?

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not against changes at all!
But I still believe in one game, one ruleset...

Reason: ''
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Seriously, how could you ever even dream of getting some rules out there, everyone agrees to use when you can't reach the playerbase?
Sure, if only someone had a website that players from around the world used.
Everything out there for me is just house rules since all the rule changes are made in some dark corner by I don't know who and it's just pure luck if you'll meet people out there who happen to have heard of those "new" rules and who happen to have adopted them.
Exactly. Who are the BBRC anyway.
Which group or website could ever claim to speak for the player base out there?
And yet the players got together and came up with Oberwald rules for 3rd edition, which were widespread even in the early days of the internet.
If GW would announce that Cyanide is the new authority concerning rules for Blood Bowl, so be it!
But until that happens, everything is just house rules and I won't adopt those to my boardgame Blood Bowl.
No one has said you have to. Are you expecting the NAF or Cyanide to come knocking on your door and forcing you to play a different version? If you've no intention on using houserules why bother commenting on a thread about it?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Regash wrote:SDon't get me wrong here, I'm not against changes at all!
I've not suggested differently, and I don't think most others have either. But it does sound like youre against changes, unless they come from GW.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Regash

Post by Regash »

This is not about house rules.
This is about a new BBRC.

The BBRC was an official team set up by GW to keep the rules of Blood Bowl alive.
That is what we need!

House rule what ever you want but please, lets get one ruleset for one game.

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Darkson and others, I don't agree that the best response to a potential second ruleset emerging alongside or in place of CRP is to develop a third. I still meet players today who are unsure which LRB version we're up to and we've had a stable rules set for how long?

As to your other point, Focus/Cyanide license BB from GW and are able to make changes to the rules, so it's slightly disingenuous to suggest that Cyanide's rules are anything but an official version at the very least.

To be honest this is getting a bit circular and there's a limit to how much time I can dedicate to repeating myself. The fact is that we don't know whether or not Cyanide is making even the speculated changes, what the situation will be with regards to a written rulebook, or to what extent we'll be able to port aspects to tabletop. Right now, we're attempting to engage with Cyanide on their plans in the interests of working out how much of a game changer (no pun intended) BB2 is going to be - if at all - rather than go kneejerking off in a direction that really is only going to damage that relationship in its infancy and risks cutting off the symmetry between online and tabletop play entirely. That's an ongoing thing - it's not going to be resolved overnight, and it's an important step.

(In the interim we're also working on a whole load of projects to improve the facilities we're already committed to offering our membership - new tournament software, a new website, new league hosting facilities, a major survey of the player base, supporting a 1,000 coach World Cup in Italy, and a bunch of other smaller projects, several of which should start coming to fruition in the next couple of weeks and months. I'd say keep your eyes peeled but ideally you won't be able to miss it)

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Regash wrote:This is not about house rules.
This is about a new BBRC.

The BBRC was an official team set up by GW to keep the rules of Blood Bowl alive.
That is what we need!

House rule what ever you want but please, lets get one ruleset for one game.
How do suggest getting a new official BBRC when the company that owns the game has no interest in it?
Better a player-supported BBRC that looks at rule changes (if needed, no-one is saying change the just "because") than waiting for maybe some rule changes something if maybe GW decide to pick it up again, and in the meantime have players drift away.

And Shteveo, I disagree with your assertion that Cyanide are now the "official" rules. I hope that's just your opinion and not a NAF standpoint.

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

It's neither an assertion, nor my opinion, nor a NAF standpoint. I'd suggest it's merely rather liberal interpretation of my post on your part (not necessarily deliberate).

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
Regash

Post by Regash »

Darkson wrote:How do suggest getting a new official BBRC when the company that owns the game has no interest in it?
That's the thing, isn't it?
Look at the title of this thread, that's what should have been the problem to solve.

I don't have any idea how or who should form a new BBRC to really make it an official ruleset, as long as GW just wants to keep Blood Bowl dead.
I just posted my opinion on the NAF and Cyanide not being entities I'd trust the task to, that's all.

With the league situation over here, where I live, and my aversion against tournaments, the number of games I played lately has been close to zero.
So I won't suffer from any changes made anyway.
I just wanted to express my feelings about this.
(And now I really wonder if Slann, Pact and Underworld are official or not.)

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

Regash - I doubt this is the place to discuss it, but if you're interested in looking at what the NAF can do to help you set up a league, I'd be more than happy to help. Please feel free to PM me and we can look at what we can do for your situation (and hopefully others like you).

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

Shteve0 wrote:Darkson and others, I don't agree that the best response to a potential second ruleset emerging alongside or in place of CRP is to develop a third.
When Cyanide release BB2, presumably the NAF will have to have some kind of response to any rule changes. At this point it seems fairly certain that there are at least some deviation from the CRP. Whoever it is in the NAF that is making this call is taking on the role of the BBRC if not the name. I suspect BBRC carries too much weight and history to be reformed under that title, but possibly a NAFRC could be established to formalise rules for NAF Tournaments (and now Leagues).
Blood Bowl variant rules are being confirmed and supported by NAF at some point soon. Who is making these decisions? Again, is that not the BBRC in all but name?

I'm not trying to criticise the NAF over either of these areas, just point out that they seem to be taking on the role of the BBRC (as I think they absolutely should in relation to NAF events) while simultaneously saying it's not their place to reform the BBRC.

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

I personally do not want to see the NAF take soul control of a BBRC. I think a BBRC needs to look after all aspects of BB.

I think we have a pretty good idea what changes Cyanide are making. There maybe a few more added to that (intentional or not). However unless they produce a ruleset that has a GW stamp, I don't think the changes will be official. If they do produce an amended rulebook, pretty much stating this is BB now........well that's a different matter and I'm not sure what a BBRC could do in that situation.

If they do change the rules and the NAF follow. Other online variants will then be obliged to follow too. How will Cyanide feel about that? Commercially that's bringing yourself into direct competition. How would they feel about NAF making the changes for the board? Ok, it maybe ok in that the likely changes came from the community anyway, but it's an issue for sure.

Regash

Post by Regash »

harvestmouse wrote:...unless they produce a ruleset that has a GW stamp, I don't think the changes will be official...
Please watch the interview:
Blood Bowl II Angry Joe Interview at around 5:10 the lead designer explains that they can easily change anything, from rules to team roster, without any problem.
Doesn't sound like they aim for a consistant rule set, right?

harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

That's an extremely good point. If they're really going to be so free on changing things, I think it'll be very difficult to keep pace, especially without testing anything.

The way he described 'adding an extra troll to goblins' if they need it, sounded very NTBB (in concept) to me.

I don't think you can consider them the official version of the game if they aren't going to have at least some stability, a ruleset and testing phase of new ideas.

dode74
Ex-Cyanide/Focus toadie

Post by dode74 »

Can != will. Rosters were easily changed in the last version as well, as were individual players' skills and stats. They did nothing over a 6 year period.

koadah
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by koadah »

Regash wrote:
Darkson wrote:Going to be waiting a long time then.
You are probably right.
But what else can we do and not break the community into a lot of different fragments?

Should there be one rule set for online play, one for tournaments, one for leagues, one for one-shot games?
And all this spiced up by myriads of house rules too?

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not against changes at all!
If you can create a ruleset that works well for all formats then fine. I look forward to seeing it.

Cyanide will press on with their changes so one ruleset to rule them all is not going to work unless you accept Cyanide as the de facto BBRC.

The NAF can do what they like as the main issues don't affect NAF tournaments.

If Cyanide do not stray too far from the CRP then we may as well stick to calling CRP official even if most people do not use the vanilla CRP.

As far as I can tell the NAF do not use the vanilla CRP. At the very least they add the three unofficial teams. So Fumbbl do not use the "official" rules either. They use the NAF rules.

And don't say that the three teams are "official" because the BBRC endorsed them. If that were the case then the Bank would be official too.

I will be using a variation on the CRP+. If Cyanide, the NAF, BBRC or Uncle Tom Cobley and all come up with anything interesting, I'll try it.
But I couldn't give a monkeys about "official".