Beppe elected as NAF President

News and announcements from the worldwide Blood Bowl players' association

Moderator: TFF Mods

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Re: Beppe elected as NAF President

Post by Shteve0 »

Joemanji wrote:Perhaps these few loud voices raging against the NAF do not speak for as many people as they think they do?
:lol: Check you out on your high horse! I've seen a sum total of three rage nerds not only attempt to scream down every attempt to offer realism about the NAF's situation, but also resort to personal attacks at every possible juncture. The over-sensitivity on this issue is beyond a joke, and your "I did a poo" post earlier in this chain is one of the most infantile I've ever seen from anyone on these boards.

Yes, I nominated (and voted for) Mike because I thought he'd do a great job running the NAF as it faces up to losing what I suspect will be something like half of its membership over the next year or two. I'm sure Beppe will too. But we're looking at an organisation that's made up of an absolute maximum of around 20% of global tabletop players as members, and only 15% of them are energised enough to vote. That effectively means means that the active membership of the NAF makes up only 3% of the total community.

I'm a member of the NAF, and would like its active membership to be more than 3% of tabletop members in the future. As it stands, as many, many others have pointed out, the figure stands to fall further in the wake of losing the dice. No-one here is raging at the NAF - everyone who contributes criticism has the interests of the NAF at hear and wants to see the NAF do well, otherwise why would they bother?

Reason: ''
League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

Instead of guessing numbers, do something to promote the hobby and the organisation that aims to support it.

It works better than being a pessimist and for telling of a dark future.

Can't be bothered or think you already do enough?
Good-oh.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

I actually suspect that assessment's pretty optimistic unless we change something. And yes, I think I do plenty to promote the hobby in my region, thanks very much for asking.

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co
robsoma
Star Player
Star Player

Post by robsoma »

Another way of spinning baseless numbers is that if 15% of members voted, maybe that's because 85% of members realise that the naf is nothing more than a club for a board game and as such it already does all that it sets out to do, which is provide a central ranking system for tournaments, a forum for discussion and a way to track your league games.

I agree that membership is likely to drop but isn't that more to do with the fact that the board game is no longer supported or promoted by its owner (GW)?

Justice for the Agribowla Three!!!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

robsoma wrote:and as such it already does all that it sets out to do, which is provide a central ranking system for tournaments, a forum for discussion and a way to track your league games.
Ah, didn't realise that the NAF had changed it's goals, must have missed the memo. Maybe someone should ask the webmonkey to get on the case, as according to the NAFs homepage it:
NAF HQ aims to provide everything you'll need.

Hey, but don't worry, I don't give a damn anymore. There's no point in trying to improve anything, as the noisy minority that are well served will shout you down, and hell take the rest. I'm just going to sign-up every year so I can have my dice (or whatever), get sanctioning for my events and discounts from those events that do one. I'll continue to look elsewhere for league support, as the NAF doesn't seem to want to look after league players.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
longfang
Legendz Bedo Legend

Post by longfang »

Where's the scratching your head confused smilie. Potty figures, please don't take this as an insult but when i read those figure's I am sure a giant exclamation mark actually appears in real life above my very real frowning face. :-? !)

[size=75]Del. [color=red]Tramp Champ. Media Tart.[/color][/size]

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334#t=14334]Hall of Famer[/url]
longfang
Legendz Bedo Legend

Post by longfang »

Darkson. Simon mate stop screaming injustice over what amounts to the cost of a couple of beers!

[size=75]Del. [color=red]Tramp Champ. Media Tart.[/color][/size]

[url=http://www.talkbloodbowl.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14334#t=14334]Hall of Famer[/url]
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Any chance of a ceasefire here? Seems to be the same names, same themes, same old squabbling.

How about someone starts a fresh discussion, separate from this 'Congrats to Beppe' thread. Sann's new NAF section might suit.

(or maybe a mod will just move this whole thread there... - Thads)

If we could be polite and civil to one another that would be a bonus too.

Over and out!

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
robsoma
Star Player
Star Player

Post by robsoma »

I'm not sure what point u are trying to make simon? A quotation that states The NAF aims to provide everything you'll need, is pretty much a shorter way of saying what I've just said surely? Note it also states that it aims to provide not that it will provide.

Or are you arguing over semantics as usual, if we are doing that then I would like to ask the NAF where my beer is as I need some beer...

When did the NAF get rid of STARS and QUILT? I'm guessing they must have as you state that the naf doesn't look after league players, or are you bleating as usual because the NAF aren,t doing it the way you want? If it's the later I would again point you to the word 'aims' in your previous quotation.

Personally I feel that the turn out figures clearly illustrate that those being served by the NAF already are in no way the verbal minority.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

robsoma wrote:Another way of spinning baseless numbers is that if 15% of members voted, maybe that's because 85% of members realise that the naf is nothing more than a club for a board game and as such it already does all that it sets out to do, which is provide a central ranking system for tournaments, a forum for discussion and a way to track your league games.

I agree that membership is likely to drop but isn't that more to do with the fact that the board game is no longer supported or promoted by its owner (GW)?
i think there is lots that the naf could do that it does not currently do, and i mentioned a lot of them in my election stuff. Luckily most of it i don't need to be president for! So matt are you saying the 85% can be assumed to be happy? Just trying to understand the last sentence of your most recent post?

when i get behind a proper computer i will split it off most into another thread.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
robsoma
Star Player
Star Player

Post by robsoma »

I'd say the majority of the membership are content with what the naf currently is, which as I stated previously is a central point for tournament ranking, a forum for discussion and tools to support the running of your league. Other than these three core subjects does the naf need to be more?

If you have no interest in tournaments, you don't use the forums and don't like the league tools, then maybe the naf just isn't for you? If your just looking for a place to buy dice try http://www.eBay.com

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

The big one for me is about making it as easy as possible for tabletop players to find other tabletop players, and I don't think the NAF currently does this.

In other news, I tried to tidy this thread up, but it went off-track a bit too quickly! I would welcome discussion of specific issues to do with the NAF, but I think we can probably agree that the mud-slinging doesn't help anybody.

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
JT-Y
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

And yes, I think I do plenty to promote the hobby in my region, thanks very much for asking.
Awesome.
That's exactly the answer I expected. It's exactly the answer that you need to give in order to justify ripping strips of'f other volunteers.

Personally I do nowhere near enough these days.

Tell you what; you carry on as you are because you do plenty, I'll try harder because I don't do enough. Then you can sneer down on me as well for not doing enough whilst you cruise along doing plenty.
Sound like a fair plan ????

Oh, no, sorry. I misspoke.

What I meant to say was ''stop being so sodding complacent and blaming others for not doing enough and do it yourself, the NAF ain't your mum, she doesn't love you, and she won't do your chores alongside her own !) ''.

That goes for all of you; members, admins or otherwise; the NAF is a central body, not a doting parent.
Help it rather than bemoan the efforts of those who are trying to help it and by extension you. If you think more could be done, do more.

If it's worth doing at all, it's worth everyone doing their part.

If you disagree, butt out and let the willing volunteers do their best without the agro.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

Without wishing to put words in Shteve0's mouth, sans dice (which made it easy) selling a NAF membership to a new opponent so that I can get my game ranked (in the two or three tourney's I attend a year) is currently a pretty tough gig.

We are all passionate about the game, we all spend lots of our free time preaching the good LRB, this silly dick waving contest doesn't prove anything, and we all want the NAF to be relevant to all players, not just those in Europe/UK.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

@Fassbinder, saw your question from earlier, hope you saw the answer that it is announced traditionally at the NAFC.

Shtev0, Jt-Y. I don't think an argument is going to get anywhere, and I think that the people on both sides of this argument all have the best interests of the NAF at heart (though possibly no daloonieshaman, though happy to be corrected). If people didn't, they would be not be contributing to this.

Peace, please.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler