Question about running a small long-term league

Need new players? Starting a league in a new area? Promote them here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

WhyNotPurple
Rookie
Rookie

Question about running a small long-term league

Post by WhyNotPurple »

So my friends and I are busy with the second season of our league. There are 8 players that all play once against every opponent in a fixed schedule every season. At the start of the season the schedule is determined randomly. We are now unto the 12th match of the whole (5th match of the second season), and started with regular 1000K teams.

It is a lot of fun, but some of the player's are unhappy with their teams and would like to switch if we are to play a third season. How do you think this should be handled? Is it fair to let somebody start anew with a 1000K team in a running league when the TV is around 1500-1700K? Or is it better to have them start with more money/levels?

We use all inducements from the CRP, inclusing Star Players and Special Play Cards. Are these enough to compensate for the handicap, or would you suggest another approach?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

Reason: ''
mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: Question about running a small long-term league

Post by mzukerman »

This is a challenge a lot of leagues have. We let people switch, even mid-season. It's about the fun, and if someone isn't having fun playing their team anymore, they should be allowed to switch it. The limitation is that it must be a new stock team that they switch to. We also allow for scrimmages outside of league games. This allows coaches to prep teams (along with pre-season tournaments) for a league so they feel they are getting the most out of them.

There have been minimal shenanigans, so I really think this is working. There are some matches where there is a wild amount of inducements (I just played one where I got 990K). By the way, I gave him a serious run for his money...

Our rules around these ideas are below:

2.1.2 Scrimmage Games

Scrimmage games may be played outside the season by coaches either enrolled or not enrolled in the current season. These games are allowed to be played anywhere, anytime but must have another game (scrimmage or league) going on at the same time (and if it is being played outside a standard game day, the coaches must notify the commissioner). No league teams, past or present are allowed in scrimmages. New teams may play up to 3 matches maximum in scrimmages. There is no limit on the number of matches that a coach may play as scrimmages.

All games played as scrimmages will have their statistics count and teams may be used in future league play.

2.5 The Dan Nielsen Rule (version 2.1): Restarting and Replacing Teams

A team may be restarted before the season is 50% complete. If this is done, the coach will be able to retain all points earned by the previous instantiation of their team. Any changes to the team after that will require the team to start with no points. Teams that are eligible to replace the existing team must not have played any previous games, scrimmage or season.

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup
harvestmouse
Star Player
Star Player

Post by harvestmouse »

Inducements don't really equal a well built team.

If it were me I'd allow them to start with 1250k, it makes a bit of difference and allow a 'trial of blood'. Pre season games played competitively (if practical).

For 8 team leagues where morale maybe a problem (which is nearly always) I'd suggest 2 divisions of 4, play 3 games. Then top 2 teams from both divisions are put together, bottom 2 teams from both are also put together and play again another 3 games. Then 1st places play 1st places, 2nd places play 2nd places etc. 7 games are played in total like a normal league, but hopefully more even games.

To work out final positions calculate all 3 parts and add them together. It keeps things interesting, and even. This way the best team in the league may not actually play the worst team at all.

WhyNotPurple
Rookie
Rookie

Post by WhyNotPurple »

Thank you for your replies. We luckily have little problem with morale, just that two of the players rather see themselves another team that suits their playing style better :)

The schedule we have worked out works for us, so that is not an issue, but I appreciate your ideas!

I like the idea of them building a new rookie team and playing a couple of off-season matches (scrimmage games) for team development. As it looks currently, switching teams will only happen between seasons, so letting the new teams start with a little bit more gold and being able to play some games before entering the season will probably help boost them up to par. The rest will be handled by inducements hopefully :P

Zagadoo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Zagadoo »

One thing we have in our league are two extra inducements for 400k. An extra MVP, and and extra D6 of winnings can help a team get back up to speed. We have players that restart every season or two and some guys who have played the team since day one. It's never been a problem for us, case in point I just upset a team recently with a 1000k difference in TV. Total luck
, but it can happen.

Regash
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Regash »

Interesting...
We never ran into this problem while our league was running, because everyone wanted to switch to another team when a new season started.
(Most of the times switching to the team that gave them the worst beating last season! :orc: )
I never thought this might get to be a problem.

I think you should consider how competitive your players are.
If they play BB for fun, then they shouldn't have any problem "leveling" the new guys against the stronger teams.
Otherwise, yeah, you have to find an idea everyone can live with.
The 2 D6 winnings and double MVP sounds nice to me, but you should stop that as soon as they reached the same TV as the lowest team still playing.

Oh man, I miss my league... :(
Good old times when the New Orc Giants played the Moshington Greenskins...

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

In our league, we have an Open division, where anyone can make any team whenever they like, play whoever they like, when they want to.

Every season, coaches can promote one team from Open to the "Premier Division", which has a schedule and playoffs. Premier teams can not play open teams during the season. We have rules about what teams can be promoted (max. 1/3 of games against any one coach for example) but it's never been a problem.

Some of our coaches only ever play Open games. The advantage is that if you get bored with your "main" team, there are always alternatives. But the only way to take the trophy home is to win the Premier playoffs.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
celticgriffon
Veteran
Veteran

Post by celticgriffon »

Although inducements don't truly equalize things they help and give a coach a better fighting chance.

In a structured league such as yours, I would absolutely allow new teams to be created and built when heading into a new season only. With a fixed schedule I don't think I would allow new teams to be introduced during the current season, however. It creates imbalance for those who played the team earlier in the season.

Blood Bowl is meant to be fun. The league fluff and rules can encourage that. If a player expects his brand new team to beat a seasoned 1700+ team he better be a damn good coach compared to his opponents. Few teams in pro sports win a championship trophy the year they enter an established league. Blood Bowl is not really different. Key skills on key players is a very important part of the game. Keeping your players alive is also very important in a league setting.

Best of luck with your league. Whatever decision you make roll with it. If you find later a few tweaks may help go for it. There is not really a right or wrong. Just have fun.

~Michael

If you could be anyone would you be yourself? ~ yup it's mine!

Michael aka Da Big Green 'Un (commissioner Regina Flatland BB League - RFBBL)
http://www.reginaflatland.bloodbowlleague.com
mzukerman
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by mzukerman »

celticgriffon wrote:Whatever decision you make roll with it. If you find later a few tweaks may help go for it. There is not really a right or wrong. Just have fun.
Ayup!

"I reserve the right to change my predictions when they are no longer true. I am The Media." ~ Snob Costas
libloodbowl on Twitter
Long Island Blood Bowl League
Empire Cup