Elfball: One-page synopsis feedback request

Ask general or specific questions about Elfball

Moderator: TFF Mods

mrinprophet
Star Player
Star Player

Elfball: One-page synopsis feedback request

Post by mrinprophet »

I'm posting this here in addition to the Impact! Forum in hopes of attracting feedback from those who are less familiar with the game. I'm working on trying to distill Elfball into a one-page handout. I want to include the important parts without getting into specifics. That's what the rulebook is for. :grin: Here's what I have so far.

It starts with these three small graphics on the top. These are resized to be smaller and fit together on the top of the page.

1.Challenge dice: 6 faces, 1 flop (X, bad), 2 blank (nothing), 2 success (bullseye, good), 1 conditional success (star, sometimes nothing, probably good, occasionally awesome)
2.Players: 6 different player types and roles on the pitch. 6 player attributes: JOG (move), TACKLE, MIGHT (Strength), DODGE, SKILL (with ball), GRIT (toughness).
3.Setup: 1 in the faceoff circle in the middle, 1 in the guardian circle (generally defender), 2 in each of the two rover circles.
4.Alternating turns: Each coach selects one player to activate per turn. The same player can not move two turns in a row. A coach’s turn ends when he runs out of jog points for the player or flops a challenge. During the turn the player may perform many challenges (e.g. shove, move, pick up the ball, throw it, and then tackle an opponent).
5.Facing: Important and is always the last thing an activated player does. You can both help your/hurt the opponents odds of succeeding in a challenge. Learning that and how to maximize/minimize modifiers to challenges really helps your competitiveness.
6.Challenges: Actions on the pitch are controlled by a series of challenges. Anything done on the pitch besides basic movement is done through a challenge.
a. The number of dice you throw in a challenge is determined by the score of the attribute of the player (see table).
b. There are really two types of challenges: (1) those that involve the ball (picking it up off the pitch, throwing it, catching it, intercepting it) and (2) those that involve an opponent's player (shoving, tackling, disengaging). Those that involve the ball use the SKILL attribute and have a static number of successes needed, while those involving the player are determined by the attributes of the specific player involved. MIGHT opposes MIGHT, TACKLE opposes DODGE.
7.Momentum: Is tracked on the sliding scale on the side of the board, max 6 pts. You gain momentum by scoring more successes than needed during a challenge. Momentum allows you to reroll a challenge die on any subsequent challenges during the activated player’s turn. This includes opponent’s rolls.
8.Bench: Reserve players are there to jump onto the field in the event that one of your players on the pitch is knocked out or seriously injured, or ejected for leaving the field of play.
9.Team Building: 19 unique fantasy teams. Build your own team using a variety of players and team support (potion, cheerleaders and bribed referees). Watch them advance and learn skills and become the next stars of Elfball.
10.Cost: An elfball team is at most 12 miniatures. Easy on the budget, easy to get painted.

Feedback please.

Reason: ''
Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
What is your excuse for not trying Elfball? - http://www.elfball.org
Spiky
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Elfball: One-page synopsis feedback request

Post by Spiky »

I think you may need some overview description of the object of the game. Is this synopsis geared towards people who are already familliar with the main concept of this type of game, or to people new to fantasy football and miniatures in general?

Geocaching - The most fun you can have with a smartphone and a pencil
First official recipient of 'The Glowworm Award'
mrinprophet
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Elfball: One-page synopsis feedback request

Post by mrinprophet »

The original intention was to provide a quick synopsis for people who were watching a demo at Gencon. I thought it might help people understand what was going on while also providing the high points of game.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
What is your excuse for not trying Elfball? - http://www.elfball.org