Elfball Tactics - A Downloadable Guide (WIP!!!)

Discuss tactics and how to best play Elfball

Moderator: TFF Mods

The Painted Goblin
Star Player
Star Player

Re: Elfball Tactics - A Downloadable Guide (WIP!!!)

Post by The Painted Goblin »

bouncergriim wrote:Abilities question:

For an Contraption specifically, but other players generally: Is it better to get attribute skills that boost already strong attributes or is it better to make up for weaknesses? Or would you think this is a case by case basis?

Example:
Contraptions have high might and tackle, but low grit: would it be better to "buff" them or make them "resiliant".
I added a table to the Wiki yesterday to show base chances of staying on the pitch after taking an injurious tackle.

All players have a base 58% chance to stay on the pitch after a Punishing Hit (due to the injury roll being taken on 6 dice).

For a Crippling Hit, the number of dice thrown is equal to the players Grit, so for a Gnomish contraption (Grit 2), the chances of staying on the pitch are an impressive 2.8% (you need 4 successes to stay in play).
The Resilient Ability would make next to no difference to your chances of staying on the pitch - plus the fact that your opponent can still use their momentum to force you to roll again in the slim event that you actually did succeed.

If you also give the player the Rugged ability, then your chances improve a bit to 13.9% - again, not really worth spending 10 extra points on a single player for, in my view.

(I hope someone is checking me on my maths on all these tables - statistics and probabilities never were my strong point!)

Looking at the figures, I'd say Rugged/Resilient are only worth taking on players with Grit 4 and above......that's not final - I'm open to discussion if someone would care to prove me wrong :D

In Elfball, it's becoming clear (whilst everyone is analyzing and creating these tables) that the basic general abilities (steady, buff, grapple, nimble, agile) are the best ones to take if you are wanting to significantly reduce the chances of flopping a challenge. However, it still stands that if you try to regularly pick up the ball, or throw a pass with a Skill 2 player, you're going to fail lots.

3 is the magic number IMHO.

Being more specific to Gnomish Contraptions, I would probably concentrate on their strengths. High Might and Tackle make them fantastic defenders, and they have a respectable Dodge 3, too. Buff and/or Grapple would be much better value-for-money when picking skills.
Make sure they're supported by teammates and you should be able to minimize the number of big crunching tackles they take. If they don't have the ball and don't expose their rear facing, it will take 4 successes on a Tackle challenge to cause a Punishing Hit, and 5 successes or more to cause a Crippling Hit.

Protect against this happening - that's your best way of keeping them in play!

Hope that helps :D

Reason: ''
This week, I will be mostly painting.....Dwarven Warriors (WHFB)

What the photon is PHOTON?