Elfball Tournament - full results now up

Post and discuss upcoming Elfball tournaments and events

Moderator: TFF Mods

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Elfball Tournament - full results now up

Post by sann0638 »

Hi all,

The UK's first ever Elfball tournament is taking place on Saturday March 6th in Swindon, Wiltshire. Impact Miniatures are sponsoring the tournament, and it will be held in the function room of the Sandgate pub, which is free!

Elfball rules can be found here, it's really quick to pick up and fun to play.

Sandgate pub, Oxford Road, Swindon, SN3 4HD.
This is 5 minutes from Junction 15 of the M4, and 5 minutes taxi from Swindon station, which is on the main line from London to Bristol/Wales/Cornwall. Map here.

Rules:
Have a look here for a full rules pack. I'd really appreciate any feedback on this.

Prizes:
Impact Miniatures are providing quality prize support for this tournament - so get practising!
1st prize - 16 man Sarcos Team - see here for these fantastic minis
2nd prize - Pumpkin Queen set (Queen, Vampire Cat, 4 pumpkins)
3rd prize - 2 Viking Shapeshifters
Most points earned from opponent injuries - Sutekh

Timings:
9:30 registration for a 10am start, then approximately:
10:00 - 11:15 game 1
11:30 - 12:45 game 2
12:45 - 13:30 lunch
13:30 - 14:45 game 3
15:15 - 16:30 game 4

These timings will be flexible as lots of players will be new to the game, I imagine. After game 4 a winner will be announced, and people will be free to:
a) leave - boo!
b) play some more, using various optional rules/different teams
c) drink
d) a combination of b and c (most likely)

Cost: Nowt. Unless this would make people less likely to turn up, in which case send me a fiver and I'll buy you a couple of drinks.

Interested :
sann0638 (Siringit) - 2 boards
spiky (Desert Dogs) - board
duttydave (Pharoahs) - board
valen (Dwarves)
antipixi (Divine Wind) - board
Hangus (Black Widows)
Charon (Pharoahs) - board
Charlie (Black Rock Dwarves)

If anyone's in the Swindon area and would like some practice games beforehand, let me know. Similarly, any questions, just post.

Mike

NB this is an edit of an original post asking if there were any elfballers in the country :D

Reason: ''
NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
antipixi
Star Player
Star Player

Re: UK Elfball players

Post by antipixi »

I play!

I live in Bedford. I also have a friend who plays and lives nearby and another who has the game, but lives in Ely.

I would be up for a tourney!

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM WALES!
Spiky
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Spiky »

I'd be interested too :D

Geocaching - The most fun you can have with a smartphone and a pencil
First official recipient of 'The Glowworm Award'
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Spiky wrote:I'd be interested too :D
I knew that already :D

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Gladly would provide prize support for you guys if you had one even if it was a small one.

If you are doing a tourney ... I have a couple suggestions.

1) Use all the optional rules other than the Wizard (okay the double player movement you can choose to use or not use but it helps speed up play). The optional rules were added to make the games quicker and in tourney play this can be important. Adding in the Horror, Impcrusher, Ratmen and Orc teams add some good variety to the game as well.

2) I found a round time of 60 minutes should work with the optional rules due to the increased speed of a single goal. We allowed ties of 0-0 if time was called.

3) At GenCon we did 120 point teams. Something to consider how much of a bench you want to allow the teams along with being able to bring the extras (Zlurpee Kegs, Cheerleaders and such).

4) Since Elfball is played until the first goal for the win ... the only way you can have a tie is if time is called. Keep this in mind with scoring.

This is the scoring system we used for the GenCon tournament but it is only a suggestion:
Scoring:
1) Games ends when a player scores a goal. That player receives 100 points.
2) Each game will receive a deck of cards. At the end of any of YOUR turns where you are holding the elfball you may take one card from the deck. At the end of the match if you did not win or the game is a tie you receive points equal to the number of cards you have.
3) Each player in your opponent's Recovery or Infirmary boxes AT GAME END counts for 2 points.

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Tomba
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Tomba »

<waves hand>

...but live in Gateshead (next to Newcastle) so getting down South isn't that easy, but it may be possible.

TBH if you lived on my doorstep it's far from a certainty I'd be able to play the way things are but I'm trying to free up more time this year....

Tomba

Rolling skulls and ones like they're going out of fashion...
duttydave
Star Player
Star Player

Post by duttydave »

I play and would be interested in a tournament

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

GalakStarscraper wrote:Gladly would provide prize support for you guys if you had one even if it was a small one.

If you are doing a tourney ... I have a couple suggestions.
Good stuff - thanks. Idea in its infancy at the moment, so will speak to Spiky and see what we can do. Will try out the optional rules, wizards etc.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Got a couple of sets, and played a couple of games, but just couldn't drum up the interest (the only other guy who played it got a new GF and stopped gaming :roll: ).
If anyone happens to be nearby I'd love to pick up some games though (and before anyone asks, no I can't use the VAssal tool - I could never get it to work).

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Pug
Legend
Legend

Post by Pug »

I haven't actually played or taken in the rules yet. (I have the downloaded rules) But I'd be interested.

I'm sure I could knock up a board!

"In Dodge We Trust"
mattwhile
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by mattwhile »

Have been meaning to get hold of Elfball. Would be interested in a tourney if it was later in the year once I've got hold of the game, and the imminent arrival settles.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

OK - great response in just a few hours. I'm proposing an Elfball gathering on Saturday March 6th in Swindon. One day, probably 4-5 games, with the idea being to have some great games and learn the rules, tactics etc and talk some Elfball. It will be run in a tournament style, but not very "cut-throat" :roll:

Timings and venue TBC, cost very cheap if not free, as prizes will be limited.

Mike

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Re: UK Elfball players - Tournament Sat March 6th in Swindon, UK

Post by sann0638 »

Have updated OP.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
duttydave
Star Player
Star Player

Post by duttydave »

I should be able to make this.

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

I will be there. just need to figure out how to get there, anyone from the north west going to this?

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!