Did someone want a cheap Tree-man?

Got some kit to sell? Looking to buy? Then check here.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Stingger
Veteran
Veteran

Did someone want a cheap Tree-man?

Post by Stingger »

Reason: ''
BigD
Star Player
Star Player

This auction...

Post by BigD »

If you want a VERY GOOD TREEMAN with some history as well and painted by a EX-GW-HEAVY then you should check this other out. I want it myself but with the reserve at £30 its a bit rich.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1771315553

BigD

Stingger
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stingger »

Hence post of a "CHEAP" one :lol:

For £30 I'd want a video of him painting it :)

traveller
Da Konstruktor

Post by traveller »

Stingger...

:lol:

Traveller

horekim
Super Star
Super Star

Post by horekim »

I'm on it. If the seller will ship to Denmark that is...

Lead Under The Bed - My painting blog
BigD
Star Player
Star Player

The Treeman

Post by BigD »

It is a great figure. With the history of this individual piece well worth it in my opinion. If I could justify or had the cash at the moment I'd grab it myself. DOH!

Happy Buying

BigD

woodmeister
Experienced
Experienced

Ummm

Post by woodmeister »

Just asked the seller if the smart looking Treeman is still for sale and he said yes.

Said it's £40 plus postage. Is this silly or sensible?

BigD
Star Player
Star Player

The £40 Treeman...

Post by BigD »

Well you've got to remember though it is pretty much one of the originals. This figure was actually published in one of the early magazines so from that point of view it does have a history. And it is a great looking figure, at least in my opinion. Of course it just depends how much you want a treeman. I've got two of 2nd Edition but now its a case of finding the really hard to find two at a resonable price, now theres the problem. That and the Mrs lynching me as well LOL

BigD

PS - The reserve on the auction was £30 so the price has gone up. I don't think the seller expected to be stuck with it at that price. I mean BB seems to have gone up a bit of late

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Re: Ummm

Post by GalakStarscraper »

woodmeister wrote:Just asked the seller if the smart looking Treeman is still for sale and he said yes.

Said it's £40 plus postage. Is this silly or sensible?
Its a much rarer treeman. You are looking at the Head 2/Arms 2/Legs 2 version of the Treeman, and Head 2 is not easy to find (although Arms 2 and Legs 2) are.

The fig metal only is worth about 15 to 20 pounds ... add in a 3x effect for professional painting and you get 45 to 60 pounds so 40 is a basically reasonable price ... doesn't make it cheap though.

Galak

vorner23
Veteran
Veteran

Post by vorner23 »

Personally I think it's an exorbitant price!

No way should you be paying this much for the minis on ebay.

There are some real bargains out there on ebay.... but also some really overpriced minis. I've seen auctions that say a team is pro painted and is extremely rare. Most of these comments are just there to entice a buyer who isn't sure.

Most of the stuff that says pro painted is utterly rubbish! Painted by a pro... yeah a pro recovering from broken fingers maybe!

Also some stuff on ebay saying it is ultra rare? Hmmm why has it been offered in 6 other auctions all running if it is so rare?

Well I'm just being synical. From the picture it is impossible to tell if it was painted by an ex eavy metal painter... or by his dog. I can't believe the prices some of these minis are reaching. Its becoming a collectors market not a gamers one.

My advice is make reasonable bids for unpainted and avoid the rest. Painted minis are becoming way too expensive on ebay. And personally I reckon I can paint them much better anyway! :roll:

Just my view woodster.

SBG
Super Star
Super Star

Post by SBG »

Galak :

Be assured that I don't doubt your expertise in BB minis, but where do you take those numbers ? Is there some kind of a guideline for seller/buyer, or is this the price you would be for such a piece ?

Again, only asking out of curiosity, hope it doesn't sound rude or anything.

Fred

LQN Commissionner and now 7-time champion!
woodmeister
Experienced
Experienced

Ummm

Post by woodmeister »

I am largely in agreement with Vorner23 here. Yes it is a lovely looking Treeman and does from the photo have a smart paint job, but I feel paying £40 for him just adds fuel to what is already a rather over inflated market.

I think I'll wait for a painted by a five year old, get him cheaper and do a half decent paint job myself, besides I don't like the team colours. :wink: Yes I know I might be waiting some time...

He is at the end of the day worth what someone is willing to pay for him I suppose but for the same price you can a veritable forest of the LoTR ones...well almost! :)

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Okay,

BigD what publication did this appear in???

I don't have a record of it. If it did appear in White Dwarf then I'll gladly buy it from the seller for 40 BPS.

So BigD if you know the issue let me know.

Galak

GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

SBG wrote:Galak :
Be assured that I don't doubt your expertise in BB minis, but where do you take those numbers ? Is there some kind of a guideline for seller/buyer, or is this the price you would be for such a piece ?

Again, only asking out of curiosity, hope it doesn't sound rude or anything.

Fred
Well if you talk to Pariah and others they'll tell you that 3x metal is normal pricing for painting at a Pro level. Now if the fig was painted by Dale Hurst then the 3x is very reasonable.

Okay so the NORMAL 2nd edition Treeman was sold by the Archive service in 2001 for 12 BPS. Now this is a RARE version of that treeman, vorner23 can say what wants, but this Treeman (the stump nose version) only appears on Ebay about twice a year. So assume I'm assuming a 20% to 70% increase in price on the fig because its rare and difficult to find ... that gets me to 15 to 20 BPS. Multiple by 3 for the paint job and you get 45 to 60. This isn't exborant ... this is common going rate.

Most painters charge 3x metal to paint to "Pro" standards. If you think its a scam ... paint your own figs and sell them and profit from it.

Galak

Stingger
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Stingger »

My tree man (painted) got £10.....and that was a struggle :cry:

and it was'nt badly painted I sent BigD one so he testify.

The seller has a lot of GW stuff "painted..by" etc ...and alot of it has
sold well...except here in the Blood-Bowl domain. I like to think thats
because there are alot of "Pro" painters here...."Pro" in name not
history, and people who know when to much is to much, to me figures are figures one mans taste is not always another
persons taste.
The standard of painting has increased dare I say 10 fold since the 80's
who's to say its not "Joe Bloggs the dustbin man" whos painted it?
For most things like photos you need a certificate of authenticity, I don't doubt they are original..But!! There are some incredible painters out there
and if you know some and send a picture from WD and say paint it exactly like that...would you get away with it?....I think you would

I guess for the price I'd still like the video :lol: framed certificate, framed picture of the GW staff gathered around.

Do you think (I know Traveller and a few will :lol: ).......I could sell a Blood-Bowl magazine as "originally held up by GW UK staff....pic of them throwing around the office..incredabley delayed but here now....it has "history" :) .....£50 :)