GeordieBowl V - August 31st/1st September, 2013 - PIPPY WINS

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

GeordieBowl V - August 31st/1st September, 2013 - PIPPY WINS

Post by Don__Vito »

RULESPACK LINK

GeordieBowl is BACK, and this year will be the fifth anniversary of the ever popular tournament with the unique skill loss system.

This year we have a NEW venue, and it’s our best yet!

Here’s the basics:
- 1.2m TV teams, all 24 official races, no inducements bar stunties.
- Full starting skills that are lost over the weekend.
- Revised 100/50/0 scoring system with +3/+3 TD and CAS bonuses per round.
- Bonuses available for early registration and unique racial choices.
- As usual there will be a Geordie Hero terrorising the bottom table.
- Lunch included both days.
- Full details to be announced in the rulespack.

The new venue is the Ware Rooms located right in the middle of Newcastle. It is attached to a Euro Hostel so cheap accommodation is available right next door to where we will be playing. There is reduced cost car parking available within a three minute walk, and for those adults amongst us you’ll be pleased to hear the strip club is literally across the road!

I’m really excited about this venue, they seem really up for hosting us, and have already offered all sorts of food options, it offers free wifi, a large variety of draft beers including locally brewed ales, many brand lagers and strawberry flavoured beer. They have offered us a waitress service too so you’ll not even have to leave your seat!

Hoping that we will have a host of the usual trophies, prizes, fun, and a group meal on Saturday night followed by lots of boozing!

BIG EDIT!

Further Information! Quite a bit here, so bear with me…

Few things to run down with you guys, mainly general information covering a bit more detail on food options, accommodation, parking and general location of the venue. Then we have a bit more of an idea on the costing of the event including ticket prices, refunds, and the thinking behind this new approach. Finally there are payment details for those ready to take the plunge!

Venue Details and Location

Ware Rooms
17 Carliol Square
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 6UQ

http://www.euro-hostels.co.uk/newcastle/the-ware-rooms

https://www.facebook.com/EuroHostel

This years venue is new again, but from what I’ve seen is FANTASTIC! It is in the middle of Newcastle town centre, with many bars and clubs within a five minute walk. The venue itself offers over a dozen draft beers, a pool table, free wi-fi, an outside seating area if it’s warm and is attached to possibly the cheapest place to stay in Newcastle upon Tyne!
Lots of photos on the link above, and a link to their Facebook page which allows you to get a discount on their already cheap room rates. Talking of which…

Accommodation

As I mentioned, the Ware Rooms is attached to the Euro Hostel, which offers rooms either on a shared or private basis. I spoke to the general manager and he’s suggested that for the cheapest deals it’s best to speak to them earlier rather than later, but even if you left it to the last minute they would “almost certainly have space”. Prices appear to be based on how many people share a room, but start from £50 for a room for four people per night, meaning it’s £12.50 each! This includes a continental breakfast with the option to upgrade to a full cooked English breakfast.

You can book online here:
https://www.euro-hostels.co.uk/book/newcastle
or alternatively you can ring them on 08454 900 371.

(The very helpful chap I spoke to was Paul Smith, he is the General Manager of both the bar and the hostel. He is also aware of what Bloodbowl is now, and knows the event is called Geordie Bowl!)

Parking

There is an open air NCP Car Park within a two minute walk which they recommended. Normal price is £12 for 24 hours, but he suggested they have a discount offer available with a ticket obtained from the hostel, which gives you half price. I didn’t get any more details about this but can clarify before the event how it will work. This is by far the cheapest way of parking in the town centre.

There are also around a dozen spaces directly in front of the venue. These are chargeable between 0800-1830 every day and are a maximum stay of 2 hours. However, they are ideal if you are getting in Friday night after half six, as long as you move your car in the morning they are free!

Food Options

Cooked breakfast are available from the venue until 11am both days. Not sure what they cost but I can find out if you need me to in advance?

Lunch is going to be provided both days. There are only a couple of options, but I’ll be able to go round in the morning and ask what everyone wants on the day. By the looks of things the options will be Chilli Con Carne with Rice, Beef Lasagne with Garlic Bread, or a Vegetarian Pasta.

Costing

Here’s a novel idea for you, and the reason why I’m trying it. This year, Geordiebowl will have three different ticket prices. £16 if you pay me in advance before the 1st of August, £18 if you pay in advance up until the day before, and £20 if you prefer to pay on the day. The reason I’m doing it this way is (and I’m sure the violins are starting to play!), that for the four previous Geordiebowl events I’ve broken even once, and lost money (some quite substantially) on the other three. Doing it like this incentivises you guys to pay in advance, so I can keep a view on the outgoings and adjust as needed. Loads of you stump up early? Great – I can get lots of prizes! No one pays, I just write certificates. Everyone wins and I’m not out of pocket.

I also understand that paying up front may not suit everyone, and also that real life sometimes changes our nerd plans. As such, refunds will be issued in full for any reason you choose up until August 20th. After then I’ll only be able to issue refunds if costs are met and they will be done if possible after the event finishes. Hope everyone understands why I’ve done it like this, and you all decide to jump on the cheap rate so we fill up early!

Rulespack

Is going to be worked on the next week or so. Expect more of the same and of course another Geordie Hero!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Payment Details

At the minute we have a loose limit of mid 20’s for entrants. If it looks like we are getting close to capacity I’ll speak to the venue about finding more space. I’d LOVE to do this so don’t worry too much about how many we can squeeze in!

If you’d like to attend then payment can be made by sending Paypal to geordiebowl@yahoo.co.uk. Please use the personal gift option to avoid fees. You can also pay cash in person to myself.

Cost of a ticket is:
£16 – If bought before 1/8/13
£18 – If bought before 31/8/13
£20 – If paying on the day

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any questions?

CONFIRMED

Don_Vito (Spare Man)
Pippy ***PAID & ROSTER RECEIVED!!***
Wilf ***PAID & ROSTER RECEIVED!!***
MrNuffle ***PAID***
MrHannah ***PAID & ROSTER RECEIVED!!***
Hana_666 ***PAID & ROSTER RECEIVED!!***
Winkle_Picka ***PAID & ROSTER RECEIVED!!***
Mr Stick ***POTD & ROSTER RECEIVED!!***
Beanbag ***PAID & ROSTER RECEIVED!!***
MattRobson ***PAID & ROSTER RECEIVED!!***
Purdindas ***PAID & ROSTER RECEIVED!!***
Garrick ***PAID & ROSTER RECEIVED!!***
stuartwalker ***PAID & ROSTER RECEIVED!!***
Vanguard ***PAID & ROSTER RECEIVED!!***
Boobootroid ***PAID & ROSTER RECEIVED!!***
Indibro ***POTD & ROSTER RECEIVED!!***
Lister ***POTD***
Barney the Lurker ***PAID***
Valen (Possibly Sunday only?)

Reason: ''
Oly1987
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Re: GeordieBowl V - August 31st/1st September, 2013

Post by Oly1987 »

interest me up

4 catchers and a thrower with hail mary pass, what could possibly go wrong?
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

I'm in Dave and will pay as soon as price is confirmed.

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
MrHannah
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MrHannah »

I'm def in Dave bring on Geordiebowl looking forward to this yrs wrecking Geordie hero

MrHannah
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MrHannah »

For sat meal what about rupali and hottest curry challenge!

stanrichardson
Star Player
Star Player

Post by stanrichardson »

I am in

purdindas
Super Star
Super Star

Post by purdindas »

Interested. I'll go annoy the other Scots to see who else is coming

Have you tried my Crispy Pancakes?

Scottish Blood Bowl Captain
robsoma
Star Player
Star Player

Post by robsoma »

im in!!! Can i take my board across the road to play my games?

Justice for the Agribowla Three!!!
Mr. Nuffle
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Mr. Nuffle »

"Interested !", Mr. Nuffle shouted across the room.
"Duly noted.", Don Vito replied.

The wife "probably" have more than a few comments about this one...

Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

robsoma wrote:im in!!! Can i take my board across the road to play my games?
I want to play Rob every round, but us down for six draws we may or may not be at the awards ceremony

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
robsoma
Star Player
Star Player

Post by robsoma »

I can confirm that me and val will not be attending the awards ceremony

Justice for the Agribowla Three!!!
Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

LMAO

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Wilf
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Wilf »

I'll be there Don, cash on its way as soon as price confirmed!

Like beer and Blood Bowl? Then the STABB Cup is for you!
Ruthy
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Ruthy »

Should be up for this, was a bit worried we wouldn't be able to make it with now going to Thrudd, but realised as it's the last weekend of the month so we'll be paid on the friday. I'll have to book some 1/2 days off work, not much holiday left now :(

Don__Vito
Legend
Legend

Post by Don__Vito »

MEGA POST!

(All this information has been edited into the first post so it doesn't get lost)

Further Information! Quite a bit here, so bear with me…

Few things to run down with you guys, mainly general information covering a bit more detail on food options, accommodation, parking and general location of the venue. Then we have a bit more of an idea on the costing of the event including ticket prices, refunds, and the thinking behind this new approach. Finally there are payment details for those ready to take the plunge!

Venue Details and Location

Ware Rooms
17 Carliol Square
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE1 6UQ

http://www.euro-hostels.co.uk/newcastle/the-ware-rooms

https://www.facebook.com/EuroHostel

This years venue is new again, but from what I’ve seen is FANTASTIC! It is in the middle of Newcastle town centre, with many bars and clubs within a five minute walk. The venue itself offers over a dozen draft beers, a pool table, free wi-fi, an outside seating area if it’s warm and is attached to possibly the cheapest place to stay in Newcastle upon Tyne!
Lots of photos on the link above, and a link to their Facebook page which allows you to get a discount on their already cheap room rates. Talking of which…

Accommodation

As I mentioned, the Ware Rooms is attached to the Euro Hostel, which offers rooms either on a shared or private basis. I spoke to the general manager and he’s suggested that for the cheapest deals it’s best to speak to them earlier rather than later, but even if you left it to the last minute they would “almost certainly have space”. Prices appear to be based on how many people share a room, but start from £50 for a room for four people per night, meaning it’s £12.50 each! This includes a continental breakfast with the option to upgrade to a full cooked English breakfast.

You can book online here:
https://www.euro-hostels.co.uk/book/newcastle
or alternatively you can ring them on 08454 900 371.

(The very helpful chap I spoke to was Paul Smith, he is the General Manager of both the bar and the hostel. He is also aware of what Bloodbowl is now, and knows the event is called Geordie Bowl!)

Parking

There is an open air NCP Car Park within a two minute walk which they recommended. Normal price is £12 for 24 hours, but he suggested they have a discount offer available with a ticket obtained from the hostel, which gives you half price. I didn’t get any more details about this but can clarify before the event how it will work. This is by far the cheapest way of parking in the town centre.

There are also around a dozen spaces directly in front of the venue. These are chargeable between 0800-1830 every day and are a maximum stay of 2 hours. However, they are ideal if you are getting in Friday night after half six, as long as you move your car in the morning they are free!

Food Options

Cooked breakfast are available from the venue until 11am both days. Not sure what they cost but I can find out if you need me to in advance?

Lunch is going to be provided both days. There are only a couple of options, but I’ll be able to go round in the morning and ask what everyone wants on the day. By the looks of things the options will be Chilli Con Carne with Rice, Beef Lasagne with Garlic Bread, or a Vegetarian Pasta.

Costing

Here’s a novel idea for you, and the reason why I’m trying it. This year, Geordiebowl will have three different ticket prices. £16 if you pay me in advance before the 1st of August, £18 if you pay in advance up until the day before, and £20 if you prefer to pay on the day. The reason I’m doing it this way is (and I’m sure the violins are starting to play!), that for the four previous Geordiebowl events I’ve broken even once, and lost money (some quite substantially) on the other three. Doing it like this incentivises you guys to pay in advance, so I can keep a view on the outgoings and adjust as needed. Loads of you stump up early? Great – I can get lots of prizes! No one pays, I just write certificates. Everyone wins and I’m not out of pocket.

I also understand that paying up front may not suit everyone, and also that real life sometimes changes our nerd plans. As such, refunds will be issued in full for any reason you choose up until August 20th. After then I’ll only be able to issue refunds if costs are met and they will be done if possible after the event finishes. Hope everyone understands why I’ve done it like this, and you all decide to jump on the cheap rate so we fill up early!

Rulespack

Is going to be worked on the next week or so. Expect more of the same and of course another Geordie Hero!

Payment Details

At the minute we have a loose limit of mid 20’s for entrants. If it looks like we are getting close to capacity I’ll speak to the venue about finding more space. I’d LOVE to do this so don’t worry too much about how many we can squeeze in!

If you’d like to attend then payment can be made by sending Paypal to geordiebowl@yahoo.co.uk. Please use the personal gift option to avoid fees. You can also pay cash in person to myself.

Cost of a ticket is:
£16 – If bought before 1/8/13
£18 – If bought before 31/8/13
£20 – If paying on the day