Golden Gauntlet UK - *NEW* Tournament Series

Post your announcement for your tournament. You many only have ONE thread per a tournament in this area. The dates of your event with the year should be included in the subject header.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Re: Golden Gauntlet UK - *NEW* Tournament Series

Post by sann0638 »

Lunch/Glow, any reason why not?

Reason: ''
NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

sann0638 wrote:Lunch/Glow, any reason why not?
I did a couple of times, iirc, but it was such a kerfuffle* and vmcat always won it ;)

*I have no painting skill or eye for what is good, so always had to get others to pick and judge.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

I decided to herd cats, as it was easier then getting BB coaches to leave their teams out for judging.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

If tournaments don't wish to include Best Painted that's their choice. They can still take part in this. It's just a recommendation...

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
Blocknroll
I'm Alan Partridge

Post by Blocknroll »

we dont do best painted but theres no reason why we couldnt :)

"People we have been given a gift, we have been given a role and that role's name is Blocknroll" - Nuffle Gave Blocknroll To You
2009-2022
MunkeyKungFu
Star Player
Star Player

Post by MunkeyKungFu »

lunchmoney wrote:
I did a couple of times, iirc, but it was such a kerfuffle* and vmcat always won it ;)

*I have no painting skill or eye for what is good, so always had to get others to pick and judge.
First and only time I did it at Gert it was won by someone who I subsequently found out had it commission painted...

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Post by Joemanji »

Guys, it is all cool. :) If a tournament doesn't award best painted (or something else) then the Golden Gauntlet will just award points for everything else.

*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

[off topic]
Interesting reading though; It looks like quite a few of the SW tournies dont do Best Painted.
[/off topic]

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Pipey

Post by Pipey »

My personal opinion is that it's a pity when tournaments don't bother with best painted, when up and down the UK there are a number of exceptional painters doing amazing work. To me painting and modelling is a core part of the hobby.

As far as GGUK is concerned, I'd be very happy for people to carry on doing what they're doing without attempting to impose anything. There's a recommendation about BP which reflects my personal bias I guess, but it's no more than that.

Btw I also need to thank ManticoreRich (again) for designing the Gauntlet crest. Magnificent work once more. He's also sent me some updated forum optimised images. I'll add them in asap mate!

JT-Y
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Location: Chorley, where the police tazer blind people rather than look for the actual sword wielding lunatic

Post by JT-Y »

So if I turn up with a new team for each...

Cheers Bren. I like this already.

"It´s better to enlarge the game than to restrict the players." -- Erick Wujcik
Pipey

Post by Pipey »

Much obliged :)

frogboy
Legend
Legend

Post by frogboy »

Hey this is a great idea, gives more people more incentive to go to more events :D

I like the idea of best painted for the same reason, different people go to events for different reasons after all. For the exact same reason there is a best newcomer award at Crumb I guess, to incourage more players to play.

Why not have a fixed method/formular on how to get your tournament into the classics, it would give TO's more incentive and something to work towards if they are an up and coming event and in the case of a well established event it would prevent the well established TOs not to become lazy and still get the publicity of this. Obviously people will be looking to go to these Classics I guess. Then in five years (with a formula) you won't have an argument about who is the classic, if say one of the original classics has slipped and an upcoming has improved etc etc...

:D

I'm a British Freebooter, will play for any team including Undead (I have my own Apothecary). Good rates.
Glowworm

Post by Glowworm »

Yes several

Firstly as you know I don't paint, I'm just not good at it, so I cannot tell a great paintjob from an excellent one, Im not a good judge of the finer qualities (shading, detailing ect) and I (as you are aware) Micromanage Crumb (so everyone has a great time) and don't want to out-source any prize allocations......

secondly, very early in my tournament "career" I went to a major UK tournament where best painted was decided by coach votes, whilst waiting for the prize announcement I commented to a coach stood next to me about best painted....his reply " Coach X (Ive concealed his identity) will win it" I asked how he knew and he replied " he comes with 9-10 of his club mates who always vote for him, that's why!!" Coach X subsequently collected the award, now I'm not saying his team wasn't the best painted (see first point) but tactical voting must have helped!!

So, I cannot judge it fairly, and I don't like the idea of the guy with most mates winning it, hence no best painted!

What I would like to see however (one for Pipey) is a "Young guns" or "new comers" award like the NAFC did and Crumb has done for years in a slightly different format :wink: .... Say under 18's (at the end of the current season you'd need to be no older that 17) Lets encourage the "next generation" :D

just a suggestion, I think the whole thing is a great idea! (sorry if Im creating work for someone)

Pipey

Post by Pipey »

@Frogboy

In the long term, depending of course on how successful this is and moreover how long it runs (!), there could well be scope for changing the list of double point tournaments. I guess that might be guided by the way different tournaments might develop, if certain events go quiet or others emerge as much stronger than before. The scene does fluctuate and I'd be sensitive to that for sure. Having said that I do have faith in the set of tourneys chosen so I'm hoping we can keep some consistency.

In an effort to engage TOs who aren't running a tournament designated as a Classic I've looked to do two things: one - include all tournaments in the pot provided they're NAF trophy worthy; two - have the rolling wildcard 10th Classic.

The wildcard - I did table some objective guidelines for the Tournament Coordinators to consider in making their choice i.e. a new tournament each year; moving it around geographical year on year to recognise all the different regions; established tournaments of at least 3 years and where the field is traditionally big enough such that the award of a NAF trophy is not in doubt. I guess that puts TOs in the picture to some extent.

Perhaps the TCs will pick a tournament from a different region than the north next time (after Geordie Bowl this year).

Back to the Classics and to hopefully give some explanation re the choices made - here I've come up with a set based on objective criteria (years consistently running and a clear plan for future continuity, size of field e.g. 30+) plus some slightly more subjective decision making to create balance between the different UK regions.

Some may have noted that a couple in there either aren't 30+ (Burger Bowl) or aren't long established (UKTC). Though I made a call to include Burger as the most established Scottish event where one was definitely needed to represent all areas. And also I included UKTC given its size (84) which makes it the biggest tournament ever held in the UK other than NAFC; therefore I felt it was already sufficiently established to include it. I hope it doesn't look like I've just picked my own event! :)

@Glowworm

The Rising Star award is precisely one of those pieces of attention to detail that made NAFC very special. Totally agree that this is really important. I'll definitely track the progress of any youngsters within the points scoring and give a special mention to the youngster who gets the highest score. Great idea.

mawph
Super Star
Super Star

Post by mawph »

MunkeyKungFu wrote:
lunchmoney wrote:

First and only time I did it at Gert it was won by someone who I subsequently found out had it commission painted...
That's a little bit off. At Thrud last year I had a request to put my chaos team forward for best painted, but I pointed out that they were pro-painted by someone not at the event. I'd expect other people to point this out too, although if they were pro-painted by another competitor I'd not see this as an issue (as long as that person only put one of their teams forward).

Blackshirt Hunter Extraordinaire (2004)
Fish out of water (Waterbowl 2012)
Winner Thrud 2019!