Realm of Chaos rules update?

For discussion of Elfball, Dreadball, Deathball, Grind and all other fantasy football games

Moderator: TFF Mods

Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Realm of Chaos rules update?

Post by Fassbinder75 »

I'm a huge fan of the Realm of Chaos era of Games Workshop, more specifically the 1988-93 period that saw a huge proliferation of games (of varying quality, including Blood Bowl 2nd Ed) most notably the Slaves to Darkness and Lost & the Damned.

There are rules for generating warbands of each of the four Chaos Gods (Khorne and Slaanesh in the first book, Nurgle and Tzeentch in the second) for use in a friendly campaign using WHFB 3rd edition rules.

There's been an 'Oldhammer' resurgence in the UK of late, and while I'm a huge fan of the minis, I think the ruleset should be consigned to history. The warband rules seem like a pre-cursor to Mordheim/Necromunda, I was wondering if anyone around here knows of any attempt to update the Realm of Chaos warbands into a more balanced and less random ruleset?

Sorry, its not technically a Fantasy Football question.

Reason: ''
minimakeovers.wordpress.com
nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

Sadly, I don't. But I do like the idea.

Darkson
Da Spammer

Re: Realm of Chaos rules update?

Post by Darkson »

I don't, and I wouldn't like to see it get balanced and less random - that was half the fun of the old RoC stuff (though when we did play, we never allowed the warbands in "proper" WFB),

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
antipixi
Star Player
Star Player

Post by antipixi »

The was an Chaos Warband Lite supplement for WFB (6th edition?).

http://www.angelfire.com/co4/thedarkgods/pathext.pdf

Not sure that it was any more balanced though.

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM WALES!
Talarius
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Talarius »

Oh, you beat me to it. I didn't use this supplement but many in my area did when it was new and they seemed to enjoy it. This came from a positive point in GW's timeline, imho. Around the same time they produced:
Warhammer Skirmish
Warhammer: General's Compendium
Lord of the Rings skirmish war bands
Warhammer 40K Kill teams

These all had more of a DIY spirit and encouraged creativity in terrain-building, conversions, house rules etc. Today's GW wants to sell you every bit of the hobby they possibly can and thinking outside their box... [insert expected diatribe here]

Kill teams is the only thing that still gets any love from Granny Wendy these days.

Fortunately, I still have all these publications and can use them anytime I like. :D

Gaixo
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Gaixo »

Finding a group willing to play a RoC warband campaign is one of my dreams in life.

I don't think the rules need much of an update, though. What are your issues with them?

Fassbinder75
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Fassbinder75 »

Gaixo wrote:Finding a group willing to play a RoC warband campaign is one of my dreams in life.

I don't think the rules need much of an update, though. What are your issues with them?

I was thinking that they could be cleaned up to a point where they'd be some confluence of Mordheim, Necromunda and Blood Bowl. I like aspects of all three of those rulesets. At least if a value could be applied to everything model you could factor in some kind of inducements to balance games It was just a thought, but the amount of effort required would be herculean and even then the fun might be stripped out of it. I have enough time to squeeze in some painting on some evenings, I don't think I could commit to writing a new ruleset.

minimakeovers.wordpress.com