What is the best "Dungeon Crawl" board game out there??

For discussion of Elfball, Dreadball, Deathball, Grind and all other fantasy football games

Moderator: TFF Mods

Norse
Da Organiza

Re: What is the best "Dungeon Crawl" board game out there??

Post by Norse »

got the first "adventurer" painted up! 8)

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=38439

Reason: ''
Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

Based on discussions in this thread I bought Talisman and I'm happy to say it has been a real hit with my seven year old twins - they totally get it and remain totally absorbed for the 2ish hours it takes to play. Wish I could say the same for their mum :) It's nice to have something to do on a rainy afternoon or after school and before tea. I am also addicted.

Those in the know tell me the best first expansion to get is the Reaper one, since it just beefs up the core game. Anyone think different?

Commissioner at the UKBBL.
Virral
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Virral »

Ive never been able to stand Talisman as an adult playing other adults, but i could see the appeal for playing with the kids. Mine are a bit young right now, but in a few years i may revisit.

Eucalyptus Bowl - Australia's Biggest and Best Blood Bowl Event
Join us in 2014 - 5th and 6th of July, Burwood RSL in Sydney

Speaking of Euc Bowl, I've got some stuff from this years event available for sale!
Buggrit
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by Buggrit »

There's a really simplified game called Dungeon by WOC and sold under the D&D name, no mini's, just cards with a standard boardgame board with paths, rooms and chambers. The rules are simple and it's a fun dungeon bash for up to 8 players.

I still have WQ, but haven't played it in about 3 years. Lots of fun though, and you can semi RolePlay it if you have a group that's interested in that sort of stuff.

G.W.A. NATION!
Most CAS Albion Coast Trophy 2 & 3 Stunty Cup Thrudball 2015 Wooden Spoon Crumb Bowl 2 & NAF Championship 2012

SAWBBL's Cutlery King
Norse
Da Organiza

Post by Norse »

wait a minute, there's another guy here who has 7 year old twins.. wow.. :D

and yeah, Reaper just gives you a lot of extra cards to play with, but in essence the core game doesn't change.. I'd say it's the ideal expansion...

like the complete compulsive freak I am I bought almost all the expansions in one fell swoop and then discovered the next game took 8 hours over 3 days... not quite the same amount of fun that go around... :oops: :lol:

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

Norse wrote:(...)and then discovered the next game took 8 hours over 3 days... not quite the same amount of fun that go around... :oops: :lol:
That's probably the biggest "issue" I have with Talisman.
It may take several hours (and not even finish the game).

nazgob
Legend
Legend

Post by nazgob »

How has no one mentioned descent?

From all the reports I've heard its superb!

Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

Just wanted to say thank you for turning me and my family onto Talisman. My twins are only seven (going on eight) but they are both obsessed with the game. We've bought our first expansion (The Reaper) and my son wanted to have a go at designing his own character. We settled on this:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/O ... Jy0liipFm0

...and we use this mini:

http://www.cpmodelsminiatures.co.uk/cp- ... -1.3-g.jpg

...gotta say I'm pretty proud of my Photoshopping on the character card. We're playtesting him tonight!

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Talisman is out on Android (and Apple): http://www.talisman-game.com/
Prologue is unfortunately single player only, and with no AI players either, it's not as much fun, but it (at least as far as I can see) uses the rules of the board game spot on. For £2.99 I'm happy with it.

I'll be keeping an eye out for the next release, which is meant to be multi-player.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Waldorf28
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Waldorf28 »

Cheers Darkson - that is definitely something I'll check out, but I'll be keeping it secret from my seven year old son, who spends enough time playing computer games anyway and who I am trying (and it has to be said succeeding) to get interested in the more social side of gaming :)

Lycos
Da Ex-Boss

Post by Lycos »

Norse, I have only just found this thread and I am not sure anyone has so far mention Heroquest?

Talisman is excellent, although I find with the Forest, City and the Tower add ons all in play it can be a long game but it is one my favourites. But if the boys are 7 or 8 now, Heroquest is a good fun game and you can still pick up the Kellars Keep and ROTW add ons from eBay.

TFF mod team
Warpstone
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Warpstone »

Have you had a look at the D&D dungeon crawlers like Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon? It's like Descent and runs you through a cooperative Diablo-like crawl without the need for a DM (or role-playing for that matter, thank goodness): http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/6635 ... board-game

Warpstone Jr. and I play it. We also have the newer Talisman, which is also quite fun, albeit a much, much longer game to play.

Still any of the options so far beat monopoly for family game night! :D

Spike! Magazine Major Tournament - September @ Vancouver, BC, Canada

Thunderbowl Sports Network - Head Coach of the Leaps of Faith.
Trollblanc
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Trollblanc »

I'd also suggest Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon - especially the cooperative aspect is great.
If it should be a game for the "whole family" stay away from Descent - descent is a hardcore strategy game in fantasy disguise - it's great - but nothing I'd recommend for "the whole family"