DreadBall - The Futuristic Sports Game

For discussion of Elfball, Dreadball, Deathball, Grind and all other fantasy football games

Moderator: TFF Mods

mudster
Rookie
Rookie

Re: DreadBall - The Futuristic Sports Game

Post by mudster »

Hi guys.

I made the pitch files hosted on facebook. Since some of you don't have an account there, here's a couple of dropbox links:

Complete Pitch Grayscale A3 (3 sheets - need to cut & paste, most economical)
http://db.tt/EYpqc54Q

Complete Pitch Grayscale Letter (6 sheets - need to cut & paste, also economical)
http://db.tt/5T7ns1PE

Black & White Pitch A3 (3 Sheets - need to cut & paste, no markings, fill in with your own colours :))
http://db.tt/bijicMRL

Reason: ''
mattski
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mattski »

Any thoughts of getting the game online in a Fummble-esque manner? Or is it only a minis and table-top game?

Carpe Diem
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

mattski wrote:Any thoughts of getting the game online in a Fummble-esque manner? Or is it only a minis and table-top game?
That would require a lot of effort so you’d need someone pretty devoted to the game. Plus you’d have to be careful of IP issues too.

I suspect with all the new teams being released there will be balance issues, but Mantic seem to take on customer feedback pretty well so I’m sure they’d address any such issues in later editions. So probably best to wait a bit until the game rules have settled down and to see how well established the fan base is.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
mattski
Star Player
Star Player

Post by mattski »

To be honest I was thinking more of the designers themselves. After all, looking at the money they have bought in it seems to have (way) exceeded their wildest expectations. It is just a thought that they might want to look at bringing somebody in at an early stage to do something like this. The big question is whether they think that a fummbl environment would cannibalise mini sales or not.

Carpe Diem
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

mattski wrote:Any thoughts of getting the game online in a Fummble-esque manner? Or is it only a minis and table-top game?
Someone with graphical skills could knock together a vassal module?

spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

mattski wrote:To be honest I was thinking more of the designers themselves. After all, looking at the money they have bought in it seems to have (way) exceeded their wildest expectations. It is just a thought that they might want to look at bringing somebody in at an early stage to do something like this. The big question is whether they think that a fummbl environment would cannibalise mini sales or not.
The original FUMBBL client took a lot of work from skijunkie and the new one has taken Kalimar a very long time with other people providing assistance. Neither of them got paid for it as far as I understand so I don’t know who you’d go about doing that. It would cost a lot of money to pay someone to create it. Then if you wanted to charge for it that would pose certain issues.

FUMBBL is done for the love of the game and free, those of us who appreciate the site and can afford it make donations but it’s Christer’s site and he can do what he wants for it. All the awesome staff are unpaid volunteers too. If a similar site for Dreadball opened up and charged then it would be a different dynamic as paying customers would have certain expectations.

You could also do a full computer game version like Cyanide have done for BB, but that would cost even more and I doubt Dreadball has the fanbase yet to make it profitable.

My past and current modelling projects showcased on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

spubbbba wrote:You could also do a full computer game version like Cyanide have done for BB, but that would cost even more and I doubt Dreadball has the fanbase yet to make it profitable.
I'd hope they'd get someone that would do a better job than Cyanide did for BB.
Agree on the fanbase though. Let's see (hope!) that this isn't a flash in the pan first.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
spubbbba
Legend
Legend

Post by spubbbba »

Actually I was thinking that whilst a fully automated client using all the skills and teams may be unrealistic a basic one could be possible.

I haven’t fully looked into the rules but it seems to be comparable to BB in terms of complexity. So if someone were to adapt the basic game with just humans and orx with no progression then that would be much less work. Kind of like doing the same for the basic BB boxed set with no progression and just the human and orc teams you got with it.

Some things could even be manual like they are for the PBEM client. That also might avoid issues with it costing miniature sales as it would effectively be an online demo teaser.

Of course now you all you need to get Mantic to approve it and find someone who loves the game enough to do this for free. :D

juergen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by juergen »

spubbbba wrote:So if someone were to adapt the basic game with just humans and orx with no progression then that would be much less work.
IMO the biggest challenge will be the hexagon field...

Juergen

Creator of Elfball.org - the Elfball website officialy approved by Impact Miniatures
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Vassal already has hexes.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Chris
Legend
Legend

Post by Chris »

Haven't a few companies allowed/supported vassal modules?

juergen
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by juergen »

Darkson wrote:Vassal already has hexes.
I know, Elfball Mod is using it - but I honestly never played it. I am aware that Vassal is supporting a lot of modules and they plan mobile support in v4. Anyone knows a summary what Vassal can and can not do? (Brownrob?)

Juergen

Creator of Elfball.org - the Elfball website officialy approved by Impact Miniatures
crimsonsun
Experienced
Experienced

Post by crimsonsun »

Anyone else get on the Kick Starter for this it went proper mental at the end, and despite my total Meh ness at the initial four teams the Season 3 teams are awesome as are some of the season 2 ones (insects, squid & crab style aliens, Space Monkeys, A team of Bowser like teleporting lizards!!?!! B)

The main thing this game has for me as a solid alternative to blood bowl is Ultimate Edition, with big multi-player pitches, massive Walking behemoths (mechanical & alien) this is something that has be say Wow Awesome! I think they would be great to use for some finals etc as well.

Will be looking to start a League up locally (south east Kent UK) if anyone is interested, I want to do a standard league, and have three cups side from that (two of which will use ultimate rules, 1 standard) in which your league team can participate. Killer for me is that I am most interested in the Nameless (season 3 team) but will settle initially for the Insects. Also being as I went a bit crazy town, with so many cool models going so cheap I will end up with all the 12 teams, all the MVPs and 5 behemoth sized critters, along with two pitches plus a ultimate pitch so if your local ish to me and are interested I can lend you a team to play if needed, or just to try out the game. I wont be looking to get the league organised until the season 2 stuff is realised around April/may but I am getting the season 1 stuff though in December so will be up for matches any time from that to get a feel for the game! B)

Crimsonsun

Rolex
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Rolex »

I went mental.
I got:

A copy of DreadBall (2 additional Orx and 2 additional humans added. Ref added)
Special edition Acrylic Counters (these are a kickstarter exclusive)
2 sprues of hex bases (48 bases)
Midgard Delvers team
Skittersneak Stealers team
6 additional Veer-myn players
6 additional Forge Father players
4 additional human players
4 additional Orx players

4 Season 1 Keepers

10 Season 2 female corporation players
10 Season 2 Judwan players
10 Season 2 Z'zor Players
10 Season 2 Robot players

2 Season 2 Keepers
1 prone FF model
1 prone veer-myn model
1 Marauder prone model
1 Corporation prone model
1 Female Corporation prone model
1 Robot prone model
1 Judwan prone model
1 Z'zor prone model
10 Season 3 Asterian players
10 Season 3 Nameless players
10 Season 3 Zees players
10 Teraton players

4 Season 3 Keepers
Lucky Logan MVP
Slippery Joe MVP

Gorim Ironstone MVP
Reek Rolat MVP
Wildcard MVP
John Doe MVP
Number 88 MVP
The Enforcer MVP
Buzzcut MVP
Kickstarter exclusive* Wyn Greth'zki MVP
Mee-kel Judwan, Superstar Sportsman – Season 2 MVP
Z’zor MVP - Season 2 MVP
Kickstarter exclusive* Nightshade Season 2 MVP
Anne-Marie Helder – Female Human Season 2 MVP
DBR-7 Prototype, Robot Season 2 MVP
Yurik “Painmaster” Yurikson, Forge Father Guard Season 2 MVP
Mellisandra - Asterian Season 2 MVP
Rico Van Dien Season 2 MVP
Riller, Zee Season 3 MVP

Dozer Season 3 MVP

Pretorian Season 3 MVP
Blaine, Season 4 MVP
Kickstarter exclusive* Coach Renton

4 Coaches

4 Cheerleader
4 Multi-hex players
A signed print of the cover art
A digital copy of the rules
A digital copy of the DreadBall Season 2 rules
A digital copy of the Season 3 rules
A digital “Creating DreadBall” book
Your name listed as a supporter in the DreadBall Fanzone
Free ticket to a future DreadBall event (will now be signed by Ronnie)
DreadBall Trophy (this is a kickstarter exclusive)
Decal sheet
183 MODELS

290 euro total. Sound mental to me. :lol:

Shteve0
Legend
Legend

Post by Shteve0 »

I went for the $150 level with 16 additional Judwan. I was tempted by Nameless, Female and Asterian, but I want to see some slupts first - if the $80 add-on for four more complete teams was on a choice basis, I'd have taken it for Judwan and the three above... as it is, I'm satisfied with the $25 extra being enough of a commitment with the others representing a bit of a risk.

Stew, if you're reading - can we see some initial sculpts? I may be willing to throw some more of my money at you when the survey goes up :)

Cheers

S

League and tournament hosting, blogging and individual forums - all totally free. For the most immersive tabletop sports community experience around, check out theendzone.co