The Harts Of Athel Loren

Every team has a story. If you want to tell the BB world yours, then this is the place to do it.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Forgotmytea
Experienced
Experienced

The Harts Of Athel Loren

Post by Forgotmytea »

Gooooood evening sports fans! We've got exciting news this season, with our reporters bringing you the announcement of a new team joining the league! Hailing from the dense forests and gorgeous glades of Athel Loren, we bring you the asrai's latest up-and-coming Blood Bowl team, The Harts Of Athel Loren! While new to the Blood Bowl scene and led by a relatively inexperienced coach, this team have been making waves in the local circuits already after their victory against the Goblin team Da Reekland Reevers(TM) and a bloody 3-3 draw against the local Skaven team that saw both ratmen Blitzers being ko'd and sent to the dugout! Can they sustain this pace and secure a place in the big leagues, or will they fall by the wayside like so many hopefuls before? Stay tuned to find out!

After playing pretty much every Games Workshop game except Blood Bowl for the past sixteen years, I've finally taken the plunge and dived into the beautiful game :) I've played Wood Elves pretty much throughout my entire Warhammer Fantasy career, so naturally they were the only team I'd pick in Blood Bowl! One eBay auction later, and The Harts Of Athel Loren were a reality.

Next up, stripping and repainting the team. I've also been working on some background for some of the players, since that's a given, right? :D

-Ben

Reason: ''
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Re: The Harts Of Athel Loren

Post by rolo »

Welcome to Blood Bowl!!

You'll probably want to eventually pick up that fourth catcher. And enjoy playing Wood Elves! Remember, "Just because you're down to three players doesn't mean you're actually out of the game!"

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Forgotmytea
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Forgotmytea »

The Harts Of Athel Loren took to the field ahead of the upcoming season, with their first game against the Skaven ending in a 3-3 draw after a fan pitch invasion took out the Skaven Blitzers.

The Harts take the offensive, bashing their way through the Skaven centreline in a very un-elf-like manner!

Using the tried-and-tested cage formation, the Harts move in for a touchdown.

Most recently, they've faced off again against their nemeses 'Da Reekland Reevers(TM)', a local Goblin team who've been making waves with their liberal use of Doom Divers, secret weapons and bribes. The Harts were thrown on the back foot early on after their Treeman, Rowan Birchbark, was KO'd by a chainsaw in the opening minutes of the game. Despite some impressive blocks and touchdowns by the Wardancer F'Lah T'Leh, the Harts were unable to pull back from a shocking start and lost the game 3-2. With both the Harts and Da Reevers having won one game against each other now, fans are clamouring for a rematch!

The Hart's dugout only minutes in...

Tom's Troll prepares for his signature move - hurling the ball-carrying Doom Diver down the field.

The Wood Elves manage to wrestle control of the game back from the Goblins, but too little too late!

Had some fun games there, with a lot of learning experiences in them! We're starting a league this coming week, and I imagine that I'll be facing off against Mark's Dark Elves first.

Oh, and I'm making more progress on painting the Harts :) Will upload more pictures soon!

-Ben

Forgotmytea
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Forgotmytea »

A Kiss From A Rose?
Spike! magazine reports on the latest from The Harts Of Athel Loren, and their game alongside star dryad Willow Rosebark.

With the kick-off of the annual Warforge league cup, we've seen a rush of teams getting their games in - both competition ones for the coveted trophy and the so-called 'friendly' games. The Harts Of Athel Loren took to the field in a friendly match against the Bogenhoffen Braves, but quickly found themselves on the back foot against the more experienced coach of the human team. With the treeman Rowan Birchbark sent off after she tried to foul the Braves' ogre and the Wardancer F'Lah T'Leh suffering a groin injury after a failed leap, the game went south quickly for the Harts and ended in a 2-0 victory for the humans.

Eager to bounce back from their loss, the Harts faced off against The Horny Ratz in another friendly match - with some help from star player Willow Rosebark! Having learnt her lesson from the previous match, the treeman Rowan proved to be a star player also as she not only injured the ratmen but was also responsible for killing two of them. Closing the match in a 3-2 victory, the Harts look like they've bounced back ahead of their upcoming competition match against the Chaos Dwarf team the Gorgoth Boilermakers!

Forgotmytea
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Forgotmytea »

Big news - the Harts are now fully painted and based! Super happy with how they've turned out, if I say so myself! :wink:

Used the Games Workshop transfers and Vallejo's Decal Medium to number each player on their shoulder pad. Since some of them don't have shoulder pads, I've also put the number on the back of the base rim, which makes it a bit easier in-game too to see who is who in the Linemen in particular!

Talking of games, the Harts of Athel Loren took to the pitch for their first league game last week, facing off against the terrifying prospect of a Chaos Dwarf team (led by a coach who's been playing since 1988 - the year I was born! :o ). The match started well, with the Harts receiving and setting up for a traditional cage around the ball. The Chaos Dwarves' reputation for strength was clearly merited, though, as they managed to bash their way through the Linemen and slow down my progress up the pitch.

When F'Lah T'Leh the Wardancer tried to make a break for the goal to score a touchdown, disaster struck as the Chaos Dwarves managed to intercept him, rolling enough pushes on their block dice to push the Elf back into the crowd! Luckily he was clearly knocked into the Elf fans as the injury roll just stunned him, and spent the rest of the drive signing autographs rather than having the snot kicked out of him!

F'Lah T'Leh makes a break for the end zone...
...but finds himself intercepted by the Dwarves and sent back to the dugout.

As the first half ended 0-0, the Chaos Dwarves renewed their offensive, managing to knock down and stun a good number of Elves. With numbers on their side, the Dwarves ground down the pitch to score the first touchdown of the match.

The Harts found themselves on the back foot during the second drive of the second half. With multiple Elves still out of the game, they didn't have the numbers to slow down the Dwarves - but disaster struck as, during the freak blizzard that had been hammering the pitch all match, one of Andrew's Dwarves fumbled the ball scant inches away from the touchdown line! Desparately looking to equalize, 'Eagle-Eyed' Eloháin the thrower managed to scoop the ball up and dodge away from the Dwarves. Eyeing up Cadeyrn, the only Linemen close enough to the Dwarf end to score, he drew back his arm to throw the ball... and promptly fumbled it, ending the match in 1-0 to the Dwarves. Surprisingly with very few casualties - the worst I suffered was one of my Linemen missing the next game (and the humility of Rowan taking root twice in one game, both during crucial turns - she's now busy focusing on leg day during training to avoid the same problem next match!).

Next league game is a rematch against the Human team the Bogenhoffen Braves, with a friendly match coming up in a few days against the Chaos Renegades the Darkstar Champions! With multiple models just an SPP or two shy of a new skill, here's hoping for a comeback!

-Ben

Forgotmytea
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Forgotmytea »

A vicious so-called 'friendly' match on Saturday between the Harts and the Chaos Renegades team, the Darkstar Champions! The Champions took an early lead after their Dark Elf managed to dodge through the Wood Elf lines to score a touchdown, but the Harts were quick to equalize after getting the ball to F'Lah T'Leh, who promptly ran it in to even the score to 1-1 at half time.

By the second half the brutality of the Chaos team was really starting to show, with the Harts' injured and KO boxes quickly filling up - many of them attributed to the Minotaur, 'Go Blitz Or Go Home' Hashut's Son. Eventually down to a mere five players on then pitch, the Harts were unable to stop the Champions from scoring again, ending the match in a 3-1 victory to the forces of Chaos. Miraculously, despite having to roll for four of my Elves, no-one suffered any lasting injuries (except to their pride, that is! :wink: ).

Honestly, I found the Minotaur really hard to deal with. Between it blitzing every turn and Frenzy giving it two chances to put down whichever Elf it was hitting, I was struggling to stall the Chaos when they had the ball. Any tips on how to play against bash models like that would be very much appreciated :)

-Ben

rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

Couple fun tricks you can do with the Minotaur. The easiest is just to run away and hope he rolls 1's on his blitzes. Wild Animal is brutal makes the player unreliable.

With Wood Elves, if you can manage to get your treeman on him, both players will more or less cancel each other out, which is to your advantage. Or place a player who you think the Minotaur wants to blitz next to your treeman. Then dodge away and laugh at him.

If you can knock a minotaur down, it can be tough for him to get back in the game. Minotaurs only move five, so blitzing from the ground is problematic, and 4+ to move ... well, you've had a tree long enough to know how much that sucks.

The best way to deal with a Minotaur, however, is to wait until he commits to one side or the other, then move the ball to the other side. The Chaos Coach wants to blitz the ball carrier, or anyone near the ball carrier. If the Minotaur is out of range, he'll probably blitz with somebody else, or ignore your ball carrier. You should be happy either way.

No, the Big Guy you're going to hate the most is the Beast of Nurgle. But that's a different problem on a different team ...

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
Christy42
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Christy42 »

On defense if you get the chance screen him away from the cage. Using frenzy to drag him in the wrong direction also helps if you base him from the right direction.

Once away from the play they face the choice of blitzing to get the minotaur back into play or blitzing to help their drive.

I play with a yheti a decent bit and hate him against dodgy teams. It is always tough to decide if I want to keep him involves or use one of my mb blitzer/ulf which are just more reliable.

So hard to keep him involved in the drive. Especially if someone has kept him busy for a turn or two (tougher to do that cheaply with wood elves admittedly)

Forgotmytea
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Forgotmytea »

Thank you both, will keep that advice in mind tonight! Facing off against Steve's human team the Bogenhoffen Braves again, though in a league match this time...

Ben

Forgotmytea
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Forgotmytea »

More match reports from the Harts of Athel Loren!

After a resounding defeat by the Bogenhoffen Braves, the Harts took to the field again tonight in a friendly match against their dark cousins - the Clar Karond Tower Wardens - to try and redeem themselves. The match started fast, with the Wood Elves receiving the ball and quickly caging up around F'Lah T'Leh. Despite the Dark Elves best efforts to stall the cage, F'Lah T'Leh was able to dodge around the Druchii to score the first touchdown mere minutes into the match! Determined not to be outdone by the Wood Elves, the Dark Elves took posession of the ball in the second drive. Lilyaeth the Witch Elf ran the ball down the right flank, only to execute a nimble dash-and-hand-off when the Wood Elves converged on her, passing the ball to Sarya the Runner - who promptly ran the ball down the field to equalize.

Kick-off!

The third drive was no less fast-paced, with the Wood Elves again caging up around F'Lah T'Leh and heading down the left side of the pitch. Things turned heated as both sides started brutally tackling the other, with the death of both the Wood Elf and the Dark Elf Journeymen as well as three Linemen and a Blitzer being sent to the medic tent for the rest of the match (though with no lasting injuries). As the Dark Elves converged on them, the Wardancer broke free of the cage, dashing across the board to nimbly throw the ball to Cadeyrn the Lineman, who proceeded to run the ball in. 2-1 to the Harts at the end of the first half!

The Harts' hospital tent receives its first casualties, as does the Dark Elf medic.

Receiving the ball once again, the Dark Elves were clearly in no mood for games and decided to play dirty, knocking down some of the Asrai and pushing others into the crowd (luckily, clearly the Wood Elf fans as the players were just mobbed for autographs rather than being injured!). The remaining Harts formed a classic two-Elf line defence, but to no avail as the Dark Elves were able to push through, allowing Sarya to score her second touchdown of the night.

With both teams down on players, the game turns into a tense affair!

Going into the final drive, the Druchii kicked the ball to the Harts - though disaster struck as the ball bounced off the pitch! F'Lah T'Leh chose to start with the ball, running down the pitch as the Linemen ahead of him tried to clear the way. With seconds left in the game, the Linemen running the front of the cage managed to push the Dark Elves back, giving the Wardancer a clear run at the touchdown zone... only for F'Lah T'Leh to roll a 1 for the mandatory Go For It, falling flat on his face and ending the match in a 2-2 draw! How he earned his nickname 'The Lord Of The Dance' I'll never know...

Despite a total of six players being sent to the medic between the two teams, neither of us suffered any particularly major injuries - both the Druchii and the Asrai Journeymen died, but my only other injured Lineman will simply miss the next game, while one of Mark's Linemen is out of the next match but his Blitzer and final Lineman suffered no lasting injuries. More to the point, I managed to accumulate enough gold from my winnings to finally hire a second Wardancer! Known only as 'Solitaire', this mysterious masked Elf will be joining the Harts on the pitch next game :D

See you next time,

Ben

Forgotmytea
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Forgotmytea »

Chaos on the pitch!
Last night, the Harts of Athel Loren took to the field again to face off against the Chaos Renegades team the Darkstar Champions. Fans of both teams turned out in force, supporting both teams or just turning up to watch another brutal brawl!

The match started fast, with the Champions receiving the ball. In the centre of the pitch, their big guys broke through the Elf line to try and create room for the ball carrier, with the Minotaur Hashut's Son knocking Rowan down while Silver Road Raider the Ogre knocked down a Lineman. Seeing an opening, Gurg the Orc tried to whistle innocently through broken teeth as he put the boot in to foul the Treeman, stunning Rowan and keeping her out of the game for another turn.

The referee, too busy with his sandwich to notice the constant fouling of my Treeman (thinking about it, I'm pretty sure the Chaos coach bought him that sandwich...)

Rowan being fouled once again.

Falling back to create a maze of tackle zones, the Harts left Rowan in the centre of the pitch as they slowed the ball carrier down to a crawl, keeping the Chaos big guys at bay while Gurg and a couple of linemen continued to enthusiastically foul Rowan, the referee oblivious to the near-constant sound of boots on wood! As the Chaos cage neared the middle of the Hart's half of the pitch, the Ogre dashed forward to blitz Cadeyrn the Lineman, pushing her out of the way and leaving an opportunity for one of the Chaos Linemen. Dodging, weaving and going for it, the Chaos player managed to get through and score the first touchdown of the match!

The classic Elf defence.

With only a few turns left in the first half, the Harts were quick to gain possession of the ball, passing it to the newest member of the team, the Wardancer 'Solitaire'. Blitzing his way through the Chaos players who stood in his way and accompanied by a protective wall of Wood Elf Linemen, 'Solitaire' ran the ball in to the Chaos endzone to equalize 1-1 as the whistle went for the end of the first half.

'Solitaire' prepares to run the ball in.

The second half saw 'Eagle-Eyed' Eloháin the Thrower scoop up the ball and, realising he was on to a good thing here, passing it to 'Solitaire' again (much to F'Lah T'Leh's disappointment). Employing similar tactics to before, 'Solitaire' ran down the right-hand side of the pitch, accompanied by shielding Linemen. Herraka Scari, the Renegade's Dark Elf, managed to dodge into the half-cage to try and knock the ball loose, but with multiple Linemen assisting 'Solitaire' she found herself knocked down by the Wardancer. Dodging past Gurg as the Orc attempted to grab the Wardancer, 'Solitaire' sprinted into the end zone for the second touchdown of the night, taking the Harts into the lead.

Touchdown!

Receiving the ball once again, the Darkstar Champions knocked Rowan down before attempting to foul her - however, the coach had clearly run out of money to bribe/threats to intimidate the referee with as he finally sent Gurg off the pitch! Disaster struck again as the human linemen on the opposite side of the pitch sprinted overr to try and join the ball-carrier, one of them falling over and injuring himself. Whisked away on a stretcher to the apothecary's tent, the Nurgle 'doctor' emerged a moment later to inform the coach that the Lineman had now died!

The Chaos cage continued to be slowed down by the Wood Elves, who kept the ball-carrier moving at a crawl. With the final whistle nearing and no closer to equalizing, the Minotaur tried to create an opening by blitzing one of the Linemen - however, Nuffle clearly had other plans as both the dice came up with Attacker Down! Failing his Loner re-roll, the Minotaur was knocked down, his armour broken, a double six rolled for the injury... resulting in a 'miss next game' (much to Tom's relief, given that his Minotaur had rolled doubles last time it levelled up to get Block and he'd already used his Apothecary re-roll!). And with that, the match ended in a 2-1 victory for the Harts!

Victory!

A very good and tense game all around, and I must be learning as I felt that I did far better at avoiding the Minotaur this time :) Nowhere near affording a third re-roll yet, but we'll keep saving up. Maybe a couple of friendly games to earn some more gold are in order...

-Ben

Forgotmytea
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Forgotmytea »

Well, it's been a while since I posted an update on the Harts! Quite a lot has been going on - the local league is progressing well, though my elves seem to be able to perform excellently in friendly matches, and then bottle it during actual league games :P Next week is the final game before the playoffs against our hated Dark Elf cousins, so I'll make sure to report back on that!

In other Harts-related news, I've finished painting up Coach Cethlenn, who's now ready to manage the team from the sidelines and argue with the ref/opposing coach! And, on the off-chance I ever go up against a team with a substantially higher TV (unlikely - recently had a friendly game which both Wardancers missed due to rolling 'Miss Next Game' for their injuries in the previous match, and my TV was still higher than my opponents!), Eldril Sidewinder is now ready to leap into action to support the Harts.

Additionally, I took the Harts of Athel Loren to their first ever tournament at the Ribble Rumble in Element Games. Great fun was had all day, with a final record of 2-1 (loss to Skaven, win against Goblins, win against Ogres). The Harts also scored the most touchdowns in total of all the teams participating, winning me this awesome dice tray :)

Finally, the Harts have opened up their home pitch, The Glades, to host matches! With a smooth topsoil and soft turf, The Glades are proving a popular pitch already. I'm sure there's no truth to the rumours of the Away team's fans going missing while walking home through the woods after the game. I mean, forest spirits probably don't exist anyway, and even if they did, they wouldn't be that malicious... would they?

-Ben