What does the Krox say? Lizards Road to Eurobowl

Every team has a story. If you want to tell the BB world yours, then this is the place to do it.

Moderator: TFF Mods

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

What does the Krox say? Lizards Road to Eurobowl

Post by sann0638 »

So, having had the honour of being selected for Team Scotland for Eurobowl, and being allocated Lizards, I'm now going to take them in all my tournaments up to that point, to get some serious practice in. This is a big change for me, having played all 24 in my previous 30-odd tournaments.

I've taken Lizards once before, to ARBBL, and went 3-1-2. The two losses (I tend to remember losses better) were both to Wood Elves, which I think are the Lizards' bogey team, though one of them was a complete dicing from Hawk! The other was MattWhile playing his joker, I don't think I've ever seen a bigger cheesy grin, but it was the right decision from him. The "eight person in the corner" stall was a thing of beauty, too.

So, I'm going to be playing them in the Scotland Fumbbl league, in NAF tournaments, probably in Blackbox and on Cyanide, as well as some local tabletop friendlies. The Lizard adventure starts here!

Reason: ''
NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
HairyPete77
Veteran
Veteran

Re: What does the Krox say? Lizards Road to Eurobowl

Post by HairyPete77 »

Congratulations on the selection. Not a bad team to be taking either.

Will there be a Scotland Eurobowl song? :)

Don't forget ExeBowl on October 18th for some last minute Lizard tournament fun <end of shameless plug>.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Very tempted, as my folks live round the corner, so should be able to leave the kids with them for the day. Will have to confirm nearer the time.

Here are the mighty team:

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
HairyPete77
Veteran
Veteran

Post by HairyPete77 »

It would be great to see you and the lizards there if you can make it.

They're a nice looking team. I've not looked at the EuroBowl build/rules but do you know what roster and skills you'll be taking or is that part of the learning curve?

Hucker73
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Hucker73 »

Nice team! I particularly like the eyes. Good luck with the Tourneys.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Every campaign team needs a standard bearer! Will record the results (for good or ill!) on his standard as we go.

First up, Crumb tomorrow - 6 saurus, 5 skinks, krox (1100), then block on krox, block saurus, 2 x wrestle saurus, 2 x guard saurus. 1 double, 5 normal, 2 more than 2 of a skill to be given.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Quick update then - went 2/0/1 at Crumb and then impressed myself with 4/2/0 at NAFC. Cake is this weekend, with a ginormous number of skills.

Liked having 2 guard saurus, that was very useful for the opposite corners of a cage, and the wrestle saurus was particularly useful in one game where he took down the blodge ball carrier, which is the idea, so for the skill-fest I'm taking a few block players, plus a wrestler and 2 guarders. 2 blodging skinks should be fun too!

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Hmm, mulling over not taking a double on the krox so that I get used to using him without block. But maybe that's one for Gert/Thrud rather than this skill party.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

There is no double skill at Eurobowl for Lizards. Maybe you should already get used to play without it :wink:

You are the 1st coach i saw trying: wresler saurus ! How good is it?

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Yep, that was why. Wrestle was very useful one game from six at NAFC, and ok for the rest. Trying it out!

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Right, time for an update. I won Cakebowl, going 4/2/0, and was pretty happy at being 14 games unbeaten. Guarding Lizards fell over a few times on double both down, but I still prefer it to mass block, just psychologically speaking (which is a bit bonkers, but there we go). Also briefly went above NAF 200, which is a nice little milestone.

Then took them to Gert, and lost a couple of games, going 3/1/2. I took largely the same team, but with an extra babe.

The two games that I lost were both by one touchdown, and largely because there was a deep kick followed by a failed skink pickup, which led to a bad position as all my saurus were tied up beating up skaven and then human linemen on the line. Not very often that there is a specific learning experience, but this might be one. If there is a deep kick (particularly against a fast team), it's worth freeing up some saurus from the line and bringing them into the backfield, even if this means getting fewer hits.

This is probably very obvious, but will hope to put it into practice. And thus not lose any more!

Thrud is next in a couple of weeks, slightly different ruleset where you are not allowed to replicate exactly the same skill set on two different players, so I'm going Block, Block/Tackle, Wrestle, and Guard. Only 4 skilled up players allowed, and 1200 to spend including on skills, so having to lose the apo as well. Not ideal for Lizards, but on we go.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
Pipey
Rapdog - formally known as Pippy
Location: King John's Tavern, The Square Mile, West Hartlepool

Post by Pipey »

Great going Mike. I think Team Scotland are in good hands here!

Here's hoping Scotland can place that little bit higher than the other non-hosting nations... :-o

UK Team Challenge IX — 24-25 August 2024

Go to: www.bbuktc.com
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

sann0638 wrote:Thrud is next in a couple of weeks, slightly different ruleset where you are not allowed to replicate exactly the same skill set on two different players, so I'm going Block, Block/Tackle, Wrestle, and Guard. Only 4 skilled up players allowed, and 1200 to spend including on skills, so having to lose the apo as well. Not ideal for Lizards, but on we go.
If you are buying skills, why not a "leader" ?

This is the ruleset?
http://www.thrudball.com/rulespack2.html

something like
krox (leader)
6 saurus (block - block guard - wrestle)
5 skink
2 team RR
1 apo

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

Ooh, good idea to buy Leader, didn't think of that. If I put it on the Block Saurus, then I can give the Guard Saurus Block as well and change the Wrestle to Block, potentially.

New plan:
6 Saurus, 4 Skink, Krox.
7 normal skills, 1 double.
Apo.
Saurus:
Block/Tackle
Block/Mighty Blow
Block/Guard
Block/Leader

Raaagh!

Or lose 3 skills for an extra skink? Ooh, choices, choices.

NAF Ex-President
NAF Data wrangler
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

Other plan: 1RR+leader, in order to have 12 players, an apo, and your 4block saurus.
(I do prefer 2rr+apo)

What not a saurus block-breaktackle?