Aslan's Asskickers : Game blog for my (Narnia) Chaos Pact

Every team has a story. If you want to tell the BB world yours, then this is the place to do it.

Moderator: TFF Mods

Pitch Invader
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Aslan's Asskickers : Game blog for my (Narnia) Chaos Pact

Post by Pitch Invader »

Bob: "Looks like another great start to a Blood Bowl season!
Two big and bashing teams, just like I like 'em!"

Jim: "That's right Bob! They may be young and unskilled but that certainly won't stop them from beating each other to pulp!"

Bob: "Too true Jim, too true... reminds me of my first season when-"

Jim: "Not now Bob, the players are about to hit the pitch! Tonight's match is between the Red Boyz from some barren wasteland Orc village somewhere or other, and an allied pact of forest animals and fauns! Well my, isn't that sweet? Blech!"

Bob: "Sweet? That bear is as big as I am! And that's the meanest looking deer I've ever seen."

Jim: "Yes, I suppose you do have a point there Bob. Ah! The coin is in the air, and the Orcs have called it and elect to kick..."

Our league began last night- not the best turn out- hope we pick up some more players.
League construction this time is an extra 50k for buying your team along with granting 2 players one standard rolled skill each. These players would start the league with 6 Star Player points to reflect that.
The idea is to hit the ground running, so if some people can't make every game they still have some development.

My team, the 'Aslan's Asskickers' a Chaos Narnia Pact team consisted of:
* All three Big Guys: Troll, Ogre, Minotaur
* All thee Renegades: Dark Elf, Skaven, Goblin
* 5 Marauders
* 3 Rerolls
* 3 Fan Factor.
* additional skills went to the Elf: Block, and a Marauder: Leader (for 4 Rerolls: I know I'll need them!)

Common wisdom seems to say dodge for the elf's first skill- but I figured I'd trust in his agility 4, and for trying to score, block is as defensive as dodge (both eliminate 1 die-side of being knocked down), but block is more useful as a deep safety: eventually I'd like the marauders fauns to be the ball carriers- so this let's the elf play both rolls for awhile.

Many people also seem to not rate the skaven: preferring another Marauder with better armor over the Skaven's extra movement. I figured the extra move might be useful now and then, plus the ferret adds to the visual appeal of the team: no contest then: he's in.

My opponent's team was Orcs:
4 blitzers, 4 black orcs, thrower, 2 line orcs, 4 rerolls. he had guard on a black orc and block on the thrower.

I knew this would be a tough match- I have 3 strength 5 to his 4 strength 4, but he does have guard and my big guys have reliability issues. Beyond that he's got 5 block to my 1, and he's got sure hands and pass. I'm feeling totally outclassed at this point- which is expected when fielding a tier 2 team, but never underestimate the intimidation factor of seeing 3 big guys facing you!

He kicked to me and Nuffle laughed at me right from the start: Blitz! Dang! I'd even set up to blitz-push a black orc off the field too.. no chance now! He gets a faun knocked out in his blitz action, so I start the game with 1 guy down. Well, that's Blood Bowl!

The kick goes very deep, the Elf is back there to get it- she does. My turn ends half way through because the Mino gets a both down result- I saw an easy way for him to push down toward my elf, so I tried to reroll the mino's block- nope, wasted reroll. Well, that's why I have four of them.

He pushes for my elf- takes 2 go-for-its to blitz,fails the 2nd, reroll is fine hits my elf for one die, and stuns himself! Lucky break. I move the elf away, knock some around, make a pass, pass animosity, catch, and head to score with a faun. I score on turn 4.

My knocked out faun stays in the box. I kick to the orcs and try to hold him- but it's not easy. In that part of the first half he injured a faun & the skaven ferret, and I injured a black orc: not too bad of an exchange.

Turn 8 a blitzer has the ball, I have one chance for a 1 die blitz with the elf- dodge out: 1. that was that. Maybe I should have taken dodge- but a 1 is a 1.. if i'd have had dodge it could just as easily been a both down result and the elf would have gone down. ah well, that's why everyone loves blodgers! he scores to tie it up at the half.

My faun comes back, so I'm at 9 players to his 10. I kick, he moves down my right side, driving with 2 black orcs. When I put pressure on the thrower, he throws to a black orc! Madness! but he catches it! Now I'm looking at my big guys tied up and wondering how I'm going to blitz a black orc! But I managed- goblin frog runs over to lend an assist and then a faun blitzes him for 1 die: black orc goes down, faun jumps in and picks up the ball! but he's exposed - I'd already used my reroll that turn so I didn't trust 2 go for it to get to a spot only marginally safer. The faun as expected got blitzed and the ball scattered- but he couldn't retrieve it, I moved in, scooped it with the elf and headed for the left side. Repeat of last: get to a faun and ran it in after another turn. Score is now 2-1. I'd also injured a blitzer and knocked 2 players out & he knocked out my elf.

Both his knocked outs come back, my elf doesn't- so I'm at 8 players to his 9. I kick to him and my turn for the blitz! Maybe things swing my way! His thrower had caught the ball, so I ran and go for it to get on his tackle zone. He drove down, and it didn't look good. I did knock the ball out, got it with the frog, made his roll, passed, and caught! but that faun went down and soon the orcs scored again: 2-2.

He kicks and the clock goes forward, so I have only 1 turn left to score.. I luckily had set up for the possible throw team mate 1 turn score, but the ball went to the far corner and I had no rerolls- it didn't look good.
So I took some easy blocks with big guys first, hoping for some star player points, the mino pushed a lineman, and on the second hit got both down.. so much for the one-turn touchdown play! Both the orc & elk broke armor!

The elk was just stunned but the orc? He was torn apart: Dead!
Yikes! What a way to end a game: give the fans what they came to see!

The Game ends in a tie: 2-2, with the orcs sustaining 3 injuries and the pact sustaining 2.
All in all I'm pleased with the first game: a tie against an orc team isn't bad at all! I fully expected to lose the first game, just hoping I'd not take any serious damage and get some development toward some skills.

The orcs made 50k: which got spent right away to buy a replacement line orc. Insult to injury: his MVP went to the dead orc! I made 60k, so bought an apothecary. He got one skill roll: guard for a blitzer, I didn't get any skill rolls: but have a nice spread around of SPP so some development should happen soon.

I think I may switch the Bear model to be the Ogre and Boar to be the Troll.. a couple people assumed that was how it was.I thought an Ogre & Pig would have cultural similarities, and a bear, not the most troll-like comparison, but could see it either way.

Until next game...

-more on the blog, better formatting & liekly more pictures since the medium is more friendly than here, but will try to keep updating here as well.

Reason: ''
JaM
Legend
Legend

Re: Aslan's Asskickers : Game blog for my (Narnia) Chaos Pac

Post by JaM »

Well done :). Pact IS a nice team to play. Hope to see some (panited) pics of them, too.

I like having hte skaven on the team. the movement gives some options, and if you skill it he should/can get wrestle and play deep-safety, wrestling down players (witht he ball, possibly) that slip through your defense.
I find that 1 player with AV 7 instead of 8 isnt a big deal, but 1 player with 1 more movement is. I even take one in tournaments. it's the 'right' thing to do, after all (play with all the BGs and all the renegades. Otherwise you might as well play with 'plain' chaos).

Good luck!

Nurgle 49èrs
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nurgle 49èrs »

If you started a league, why dont you have your miniatures painted?
Chaos Pact with a theme, always great!

Pitch Invader
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Pitch Invader »

Painted will follow, within the next 2 week.

I agree JaM, I go for what is characterful and fun. I figured if I didn't take all the big guys & renegades then why play the team? I've seen team builds of one big guy, the elf & the rest marauders, and other such combinations, but then it looks more like a chaos team without warriors.

There were several times in the match that I was glad I had the skaven's extra movement- or when he was later injured, I missed that extra move. Fastest guy on the team, so I field him, after all, if I do get a '10' for a skill I doubt I'd take movement- too many skills the team needs, so the skaven earned his spot on the team.

Nurgle49: The league doesn't have a mandatory-painted policy: as long as someone is working on their minis and making progress it's fine. I'd hoped to have them painted for the start- but didn't have time. The team was a last minute idea- hopefully they'll be painted-or nearly finished by the next game.

Pitch Invader
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Pitch Invader »

Played Game 2, with the team now fully painted.

This report is a long one, so I'll just link it:
http://laughingferret.blogspot.com/2012 ... eport.html

here's a shot of some of the action:

Game 2 was against Chaos Dwarves: tenacious dwarves, but luck was against him: I tend to roll only stuns when I do break armor, but not this night.

Axtklinge
Legend
Legend

Post by Axtklinge »

Nice win and amazing display of violence!
:orc:

Mr.Beaver looks great!