The annual European clash of Nations.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

TheShepherd
Super Star
Super Star

Eurobowl Wales Feedback Thread

Post by TheShepherd »

This is the feedback thread for Eurobowl Wales

Please makes sure that your feedback can be used for future Eurobowl hosts, it may be true that the sick bloke on the reffing team was too ugly but that won’t help Poland or Malta

Might be worthwhile me saying not to eat anything questionable the day before your event though...

Thank you

Reason: ''
Shepherd for the Wales team
Purplegoo
Legend
Legend

Re: Eurobowl Wales Feedback Thread

Post by Purplegoo »

Congratulations, guys. A tip-top nerd jamboree.

My only comment for future hosts is that I think two hours fifteen is a bit tight. Two thirty doesn’t sound massively different, but I think it does make a noticeable difference.

Also, a Welsh choir in Poland might be a bit weird, but they’d make the trip, right? ;)

dreamscreator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dreamscreator »

Again, congratulations to all of you. I think the tournament was amazing.

My suggestion is about the times. IMO the tournament finish bit late on Sunday, I think is not a problem on Saturday as almost all of us sleep in Cardiff. But on Sunday it would be nice finish bit early.

As an option, maybe play four games on Saturday as people won't mind to finish late, and only two on Sunday. Giving time in the evening to enjoy Cardiff (or Poland/Malta) or go home early. And start bit early the games. 11am for Europen is bit late.

Other suggestion will be the possibility to use an app as in Lucca. That was very useful and easy to manage than the website.

All small things. The tournament was great :)

Champion: Chimera Cup '17, Coffee Cup '18, Manticore Mug '18, Lucentum Twinbowl '20, Squig Trophy II '20, No me toques los Gnoblars '21
Stunty Cup: Exebowl '14; Bubba Bowl '17; OlletaBowl '20
20phoenix
Super Star
Super Star

Post by 20phoenix »

dreamscreator wrote: My suggestion is about the times. IMO the tournament finish bit late on Sunday, I think is not a problem on Saturday as almost all of us sleep in Cardiff. But on Sunday it would be nice finish bit early.

As an option, maybe play four games on Saturday as people won't mind to finish late, and only two on Sunday. Giving time in the evening to enjoy Cardiff (or Poland/Malta) or go home early. And start bit early the games. 11am for Europen is bit late.
Just a quick note on this - you may be being influenced by being local.

Eurobowl teams usually travel back on the Monday after post-tohrnament partying so an early finish to travel is only really useful to people in the same country.

sann0638
Kommissar Enthusiasmoff

Post by sann0638 »

dreamscreator wrote:Other suggestion will be the possibility to use an app as in Lucca. That was very useful and easy to manage than the website.
Apps are expensive! Genuine question, what was hard about the website? For next time...

NAF Ex-President
Founder of SAWBBL, Swindon and Wiltshire's BB League - find us on Facebook and Discord
NAF Data wrangler
dreamscreator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dreamscreator »

sann0638 wrote:Apps are expensive! Genuine question, what was hard about the website? For next time...
The website is not very mobile friendly. It's not a massive problem, but something easy to read would be great.

Question from my ignorance. Is it not possible to use the Lucca app and make some amendments? If not, I think maybe NAF could work in one free app code to use in this kind of tournaments. If it's not terrible expensive of course.

Champion: Chimera Cup '17, Coffee Cup '18, Manticore Mug '18, Lucentum Twinbowl '20, Squig Trophy II '20, No me toques los Gnoblars '21
speedingbullet
Star Player
Star Player

Post by speedingbullet »

Really enjoyed my first EurOpen, excellent tournament and massive thanks again to the whole team of organisers and the refs.

Also to everyone in the room for listening and applauding the choir, great idea as a way of passing the time whilst results were collated.

Re. previously raised points, I thought the website worked fine, the only thing missing, at least for the EurOpen was the table numbers on the draws.

On the timings, at least for the EurOpen, it did feel like an 11am start time on the Sunday was too late and made for a very late travel home on the Sunday night. Appreciate this may only have been an issue for UK based coaches who were no doubt trying to avoid the cost, family and annual leave implications of staying in Cardiff on the Sunday night. I suspect, in the EurOpen, there are often likely to be a large number of coaches who are going to want to get home on the Sunday but have two, three, four or more hours of car travel and drop offs ahead of them. For these coaches, an earlier start and finish on the Sunday would have been welcome.

Overall though, great stuff :D

dreamscreator
Star Player
Star Player

Post by dreamscreator »

20phoenix wrote:
dreamscreator wrote: My suggestion is about the times. IMO the tournament finish bit late on Sunday, I think is not a problem on Saturday as almost all of us sleep in Cardiff. But on Sunday it would be nice finish bit early.

Just a quick note on this - you may be being influenced by being local.

Eurobowl teams usually travel back on the Monday after post-tohrnament partying so an early finish to travel is only really useful to people in the same country.
Yes, being a local has influenced. I'm very tired at work right now :lol:

But, it wouldn't change so much to do 4+2 games. It is lot 1 day with 4 games tournaments. And 2 games in the second day gives the option for maybe some people come back in the day and safe some money staying an extra night. Or just enjoy more time with the people in the evening.

Heartsbane
Experienced
Experienced

Post by Heartsbane »

Before I go in to any of the things I think could be improved upon, let me begin by saying I had a fantastic time and if I knew the next one would be exactly the same, I'd sign up without any hesitation whatsoever, so you did lots of things brilliantly!

Things I wasn't so keen on :
* being spread over two rooms
* the split timings. Both of these first points really boil down to the same thing. Part of the attraction of going to a large event is being part of a large event, and both of these detracted a little from feeling like it was all one big event with two tourneys within it.
* rosters. Nothing major, but given that all rosters had to be submitted in advance in a standard form, I'd assumed they'd all be uploaded. I think it'd be nice for us to be able to scope out our round 1 opponents or see what choices were made by top coaches.
* table numbers on the fixtures sheet would have been handy.
* turnaroud time of processing results to work out the fixtures. Maybe I've been spoilt by how slick most NAF events are, albeit in a much smaller scale, but it would have been nice to have 10 minutes or so between dioxide being announced and the start of the next round time.

Maybe worth mentioning a few positives which were great too:
* accuracy of fixtures. Getting all the match ups spot on for an event that size is no small achievement. Good job!
* website for results & pairings. Whilst not as nice as a dedicated app, it was still far better than a scrum at the front trying to read off a single screen.
* the venue. Having enough space, parking and toilets (with 400+ nerds, most drinking beer, all finishing their games around the same time, that isn't a flippant as it might sound) kept the focus on the games and camaraderie where it ought to be.
* the refs. There were enough of you, and you were circulating a lot so we're always available when needed.

Thanks again for all the hard work and time that'd clearly been put in by a considerable team, it made for a great weekend.

lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

speedingbullet wrote: the only thing missing, at least for the EurOpen was the table numbers on the draws.
That is true, I hadn't spotted that all weekend. However the table numbers were on the big screen version.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

My feedback for EurOpen is to please include table numbers in the draw on the website. I had to count down the pairings.

It sounds nitpicky, and it is for such an AWESOME AND FUN event, but it seems easy enough to do.

Also, it's a bit cruel to put the bar far back by the lower tables. You lose some games, you end up nearer the bar, you drink more, lose more, and so on.
A more elegant solution is to put the bar near the high tables - so you win some, drink more, sink, sober up, play better. That's a self-correcting system.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
azzroag
Rookie
Rookie

Post by azzroag »

Hello

Thanks a lot for This super weekend of bloodbowl with about 400 player... You all make the job and i want To say thanks for that.

The only point i want To put in category "can make better" is the fact that europen players can t see eurobowl games because of that one hour delay. I can imagine there was a lot of reason for this delay but if you have To just start by europen. It Will be possible To see the end of eurobowl games.

(And for me the first reason that europen exist is To open eurobowl event To a lot of player. And This weekend that delay was a bad things for that )

I Will try To come in poland. See you guys

KFoged
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by KFoged »

Great venue overall and a smooth tournament!

I understand the reasons for the split in starting times, but I would have started the EurOpen first instead.

Is it time to change EurOpen from 3 to 4/5 in squad size?

deeferdan
Veteran
Veteran

Post by deeferdan »

Very much go along with consensus that this was a superb event.
Thanks so much for all your efforts.

Also agree re times. Did the split need to be so big between Eurobowl and Europen?
Starting with Europen would also have been nice as then the previous Meier event closes the show.

I think the biggest thing with times isn't that the hour loving back really emphasised how late it was when we finished. Starting Europen a team 10am and Eurobowl at 9am would have been fine as they would have felt an hour later anyway.

Anyway, really great stuff, thanks so much for hosting and running the whole thing with such an excellent and inclusive spirit... that last bit is really key, we Europeners didn't feel like a lesser competition which is an excellent effort.

- deeferdan -

England NC
Midlands RC
Blood Bowling nomad

Beard man's foil http://doubleskulls.libsyn.com/
cornish
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by cornish »

Great weekend so as above nothing needs to change! Thanks to all organisers and the refs for taking their time in planning and on the weekend to support us having fun (or lose in my case). It really was appreciated and although we often recognise it at the end of the day with a clap, it is small recompense for all of your efforts. Thank you.

My main feedback was what felt like the significant amount of time waiting between games. I understand there is time required to input data and enjoyed some space to buy a beer, scope out the best painted and chat to other teams but equally there seemed to be too much rigidity on when rounds started. I understand closing a round by a certain time to progress the day, but I would like the choice to begin when the draw is available, not wait until the scheduled start time. Am I right that for 6-7 hours of BB on day 1 we were in the facility for almost 10hours? I could play 4 games in that time and would welcome such.

I would even consider delaying lunch until after game 2 as this would mean you could just to get a head start before the morning or even offer some flexibility by 5-15 mins into lunch and at the end of day 1 so refs don’t feel too overbearing to close a vital game. i.e “time is over so your in your lunch so when I come back in 10mins i’m calling it whatever”.

I would rather that as it may allow more chatter with my opponent and avoid being rushed to finish. I would openly start a slow coach 30mins sooner if it helped them and didn’t impact me. Allowing that would then really only make Game 6 the really vital finish time when players should be in full swing

I also echo needing table numbers on the website draw (there was no projector upstairs) and also possibly race names alongside coaches to save cross checking with other data sources?

But again take this all in positive light. We had great fun, didn’t take anything too seriously and laughed.

Chris

NAF Name: Cornish