Eurobowl Captains Meeting Minutes 2014

The annual European clash of Nations.

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Joemanji
Power Gamer

Re: Eurobowl Captains Meeting Minutes 2014

Post by Joemanji »

Hmm. I don't think it would be allowed, but clearly in this case it has had great benefit to the community. Tough one. Although, in this case Norway had 7 other Norwegians so Zulu could easily count as a freebooter for official purposes and not upset the applecart.

Reason: ''
*This post may have been made without the use of a hat.
Northernknight
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Northernknight »

Joemanji wrote:Hmm. I don't think it would be allowed, but clearly in this case it has had great benefit to the community. Tough one. Although, in this case Norway had 7 other Norwegians so Zulu could easily count as a freebooter for official purposes and not upset the applecart.
That's what I'm saying. "officially" there are no rules. Even if we say "anyone can play for whoever they please whenever they like" at least it will be written down stop any argument. Something the community needs to consider. Personally I would lean towards flexibility to aid the development of the game and tournament.

Where it feels best to represent for the individual should be placed above birth place technicalities IMHO.

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

each country has its own nationality-rules/traditions/etc.

it should be the same in the bloodbowl world: each country could define itself its own eligible-rules/traditions for its team-selections...

Vinz D.
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Vinz D. »

Garrick wrote:Previously Zulu played for Scotland because he was born in Scotland. Recently he formed the Norwegian team as he is resident in Norway. I believe this is entirely in the spirit of fair national competition and also resulted in another nation being represented at Eurobowl. Would it be allowed under the Fifa rules which were written for a sport where every nation already has a team?
Well, doesn't it happen in many sports already, that if people aren't eligible to compete for their nation of origin, they get emigrate and get naturalized for another nation instead? In Sochi, that happened with speed-skater Ahn Hyun-soo (who now goes through life as Viktor Ahn), where I also believe some Dutch ice skaters did so, with more obscure countries like Kazachstan, etc.

For the Dutch team, I believe the rule 'be born in the Netherlands, or live in the Netherlands' has been used for the past couple of years already, to form their team in the EuroBowl.

I do think there should be a certain amount of flexibility in regards to how nations come to their teams, but yes, on the other hand, a clear definition of what constitutes as a player and a freebooter (which I read as: someone who has no ties to the country they're playing for whatsoever) might be useful to make a verdict on any discussions regarding the matter.

"Goblin aficionado and collector of Wooden Spoons"
zulu
Experienced
Experienced

Post by zulu »

Northernknight wrote:
Garrick wrote:Previously Zulu played for Scotland because he was born in Scotland. Recently he formed the Norwegian team as he is resident in Norway. I believe this is entirely in the spirit of fair national competition and also resulted in another nation being represented at Eurobowl. Would it be allowed under the Fifa rules which were written for a sport where every nation already has a team?

Garrick, Vice Captain Team Scotland Squad and as an ex Rugby player, absolutely no knowledge of Soccer or it's rules.
This is what needs clarifying. I don't think it would be allowed under FIFA rules. MAYBE in Rugby. I was thinking of Sanns position to be honest.

The community should decide and get it written down, just so there can be no arguments in the future.

I was not aware that there had been any arguments in the past. I am slightly amused by these posts. We are talking about Blood Bowl, a game most of us play for fun and relaxation etc, not a professional sport where lots of money is at stake. I cannot see players moving country just so they could represent a nation at blood bowl. I have no plans to move elsewhere :) However in the real world there are a number of sports where people are allowed to play for more than 1 country. Rugby league and cricket are 2 examples.
For me we should be doing all we can to grow the game. So if that means a Frenchman, a Belgian, a German and a few others living in Luxembourg get together to form a Luxembourg Blood Bowl team then great. Welcome to the party.

Northernknight
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Northernknight »

zulu wrote:
Northernknight wrote:

Garrick, Vice Captain Team Scotland Squad and as an ex Rugby player, absolutely no knowledge of Soccer or it's rules.
This is what needs clarifying. I don't think it would be allowed under FIFA rules. MAYBE in Rugby. I was thinking of Sanns position to be honest.

The community should decide and get it written down, just so there can be no arguments in the future.

I was not aware that there had been any arguments in the past. I am slightly amused by these posts. We are talking about Blood Bowl, a game most of us play for fun and relaxation etc, not a professional sport where lots of money is at stake. I cannot see players moving country just so they could represent a nation at blood bowl. I have no plans to move elsewhere :) However in the real world there are a number of sports where people are allowed to play for more than 1 country. Rugby league and cricket are 2 examples.
For me we should be doing all we can to grow the game. So if that means a Frenchman, a Belgian, a German and a few others living in Luxembourg get together to form a Luxembourg Blood Bowl team then great. Welcome to the party.
I'm pretty sure one of the stipulations for winning hosting was that at least 6 of the 8 players were national to that country. Yet what that means appears to vary between countries and regions.

Dave
Info Ed

Post by Dave »

Norse (Ramsay McPherson) played for team Netherlands from the verybeginning of EB, he would be quite elegible for team Scotland as well.

I think that we should encourage teams to be as national as possible but we should be very lenient with these rules once a new nation is forming a team OR when a nation has trouble getting enough players in.

Oventa
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Oventa »

I am for Phil writing down what we think the current rules are, and then see if we need a discussion based on that.
Thanks for raising the point to have the eligibility for team players and "what is a nation" part of it.

straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by straume »

Just to chime in my two cents. At least 6 residents and/or nationals seems like a natural point. Not too strict, but also enough to keep it "proper" national teams and no need to fear "France2" representing Luxembourg.

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

Northernknight wrote:I'm pretty sure one of the stipulations for winning hosting was that at least 6 of the 8 players were national to that country.
That makes sense for hosting, as I believe the requirement is there to ensure that there is a sufficient BB base in place to enable hosting. Given the flexibility of 'national', that may be better defined as 'resident' purely for hosting purposes.

Northernknight
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Northernknight »

Vanguard wrote:
Northernknight wrote:I'm pretty sure one of the stipulations for winning hosting was that at least 6 of the 8 players were national to that country.
That makes sense for hosting, as I believe the requirement is there to ensure that there is a sufficient BB base in place to enable hosting. Given the flexibility of 'national', that may be better defined as 'resident' purely for hosting purposes.
My point is not that this is a good thing or not (it is good btw imo), but that we asked for 6 nationals without having a clear idea of what that means.

Vanguard
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Vanguard »

Northernknight wrote:
Vanguard wrote:
My point is not that this is a good thing or not (it is good btw imo), but that we asked for 6 nationals without having a clear idea of what that means.
Yes, I got that and agree with you. That was why I was proposing 'Resident' rather than 'National' when it came to hosting.
For representing a country I feel the requirements should be more flexible.