1,100 team for my first ever tournament...

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

TheAzman
Veteran
Veteran

1,100 team for my first ever tournament...

Post by TheAzman »

Hey guys/gals. :-)

I'll be attending the West Coast Quake tournament in January near San José ( here in California ) and I'm looking for general advice and any input/help with my team build.

Here is the link (i hope) for the tourney rules. http://www.wcquake.com/rules.htm

I'll be taking Humans. (yes, Humans. :-) and I will not be persuaded to choose otherwise. ;-) ... OK, I will maaaaaybe take Orcs, but trying to stick with Humans) I'm playing for fun with a slight (probably very slight!) possibility of maybe winning something.

So, using the 1,100,000 gold, my team so far consists of:

2x Blitzers with MB and Guard
2x Blitzers with Guard
Thrower with Leader
Lino with Dirty Player :-)
Lino with Kick
Lino with Guard
3x Linos with Block

2x Rerolls

I'll choose the special play cards a little later based on the final team build.

I believe (my opinion of course) that this is a fairly decent build. I am toying with the idea of a Catcher in place of a Lineman, but I'm not sure yet.

I also have a build that includes an Ogre, but I wanted to create a team with skilled Lineman instead of a big target like that.

So, what do you more tournament-savvy guys think?

Thanks in advance for any input! :-)

-Jason

Reason: ''
Winning... it beats losing.
babass
Super Star
Super Star

Re: 1,100 team for my first ever tournament...

Post by babass »

TheAzman wrote:Hey guys/gals. :-)

I'll be attending the West Coast Quake tournament in January near San José ( here in California ) and I'm looking for general advice and any input/help with my team build.

Here is the link (i hope) for the tourney rules. http://www.wcquake.com/rules.htm

I'll be taking Humans. (yes, Humans. :-) and I will not be persuaded to choose otherwise. ;-) ... OK, I will maaaaaybe take Orcs, but trying to stick with Humans) I'm playing for fun with a slight (probably very slight!) possibility of maybe winning something.

So, using the 1,100,000 gold, my team so far consists of:

2x Blitzers with Guard
Thrower with Leader
Lino with Kick
Lino with Guard
3x Linos with Block

2x Rerolls

I'll choose the special play cards a little later based on the final team build.

I believe (my opinion of course) that this is a fairly decent build. I am toying with the idea of a Catcher in place of a Lineman, but I'm not sure yet.

I also have a build that includes an Ogre, but I wanted to create a team with skilled Lineman instead of a big target like that.

So, what do you more tournament-savvy guys think?

Thanks in advance for any input! :-)

-Jason
I m not a big fan of putting some skilled players on the LOS during defense drive.

reading the rules of this tourney, and considering you want to play without the ogre, i would already modify a bit like this your team:

so 1st draft:
2x Blitzers with Guard (+1 skill here)
Thrower with Leader and Block
Lino with Kick and Wrestle
Lino with Guard and Block
3x Linos no skill

Then, With at least 5 mobiles guards, i would consider playing with a dedicated Frenzy players.

straume
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by straume »

Hang on....You can actually buy stats?

If so getting +ag on someone is a must.

TheAzman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TheAzman »

straume wrote:Hang on....You can actually buy stats?

If so getting +ag on someone is a must.
Yeah, I was thinking about maybe my Thrower or a Blitzer with +AG. I like the Sure Hands on the Thrower because of the free reroll. I don't know....

TheAzman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TheAzman »

@babass- what second skill would you recommend for the non-MB Blitzers? Fend? Frenzy? I was thinking maybe Tackle?

Thanks for the input so far, guys!

JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Id be looking at adding 2 catchers, perhaps 1 with AG 4.

I wouldnt be using a Dirty Player, you need all the bodies on the field. Elfs can 'manage' with a player less, their linemen are superior. Gobs dont mind. But humans need as much bodies on the field as possible beacuse they are so mediocre.
Just my idea though.

You'll struggle with humans, the TV 1100 including skills doesnt really help. Good luck! :)

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

TheAzman wrote:@babass- what second skill would you recommend for the non-MB Blitzers? Fend? Frenzy? I was thinking maybe Tackle?

Thanks for the input so far, guys!
I would go for Frenzy. (because of the 5 guards)

Tackle would be my second choice.

besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

Do you only have eleven players? I think you need twelve or thirteen, particularly if you want to foul.

RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

besters wrote:Do you only have eleven players? I think you need twelve or thirteen, particularly if you want to foul.
This was my first thought too but it seems to be quite difficult since the 110TV also need to pay for the skills. However, it may be worth dropping a few block linos for a 12th player indeed

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)
JaM
Legend
Legend

Post by JaM »

Yeah, I wouldnt foul in this sort of tournament.
Unless there's a wardancer on the floor and you have him/her/it surrounded. It might be worth the risk then, because 'only' 1 wardancer makes a difference. You'd probably still lose, though. :) But wardancers on the floor HAVE to be fouled. It's mandatory.

TheAzman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TheAzman »

LOL! Yes they do! As do Witch Elves, although I don't think I'll be running into those in this tournament. A lot of bash teams seem to be chosen. Humans are my choice because they're fairly cheap with decent speed compared to the bash guys. I know it will be tough, but it should be fun trying. :-)

I am going to drop the Dirty Player Lineman and possibly the Guard Lineman, I think. Having 12 or 13 players is how I'm probably going to roll. I hardly ever foul unless I really need to, so the DP seems like a waste. I'll let the other team get players sent off instead. LOL.

I'm still unsure about a Catcher, though, especially with AG 4. That's a lot of cash into a pretty fragile player. Although...he could be a game winner..... Hmmm. Decisions, decisions.

Letting go of the Ogre is still tough to take..... I might have to find a way to get one back on the roster. A ST-5 punching bag with Block added may be too tempting for me to pass up...but the cash cap is hard to get around...
How would you guys handle it? Get him or leave him off?

Heck... I could just scrap this team and take Orcs! I might work out a team build just in case. Heh.

Thank you guys for your suggestions. :-) Keep 'em coming. I greatly appreciate it. :-)

-Jason

Pedda
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Pedda »

I'd go with the following human roster

4 Blitzers (3x Guard, Mighty Blow)
1 Ogre (Block)
1 Thrower (Block)
6 Linemen
2 RR

Sure, AG4 would be nice, but I'm not sure if it would be that useful due to just having two RRs.
I'd rather have the guard

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

With ogre&12men, i would go that way:
4 blitzers (Guaurd, Guard, Guard, Guard/MB)
1 Thrower (Leader)
6 Linemen (Wreslte, Wreslte)
1 ogre (Guard)
1 team RR

for this format, i think humen is a good roster.

TheAzman
Veteran
Veteran

Post by TheAzman »

Pedda wrote:I'd go with the following human roster

4 Blitzers (3x Guard, Mighty Blow)
1 Ogre (Block)
1 Thrower (Block)
6 Linemen
2 RR

Sure, AG4 would be nice, but I'm not sure if it would be that useful due to just having two RRs.
I'd rather have the guard
babass wrote:With ogre&12men, i would go that way:
4 blitzers (Guaurd, Guard, Guard, Guard/MB)
1 Thrower (Leader)
6 Linemen (Wreslte, Wreslte)
1 ogre (Guard)
1 team RR

for this format, i think humen is a good roster.

Ooh! I like these! I'm going to have to play test these against my friend and see what happens. 2 total Rerolls is rough, but I can live with it for the extra Lineman and the Ogre.

Where to put the Wrestlers.... For my league team I would put them on the LOS to neutralize the Block guys but for a Tournament? No experience with that. I might just leave them there or put them on the wide zones to gum up a flank maneuver. So many possibilities! LOL.

Great input!

babass
Super Star
Super Star

Post by babass »

no skilled players on the los.
(except maybe the guard ogre, depending of the opponent...)