Dark Elf Runner with Leader

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Oventa
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Dark Elf Runner with Leader

Post by Oventa »

De at tournaments:
- runner to get most out of your money and just fur the purpose of leader reroll

De at leagues:
- I currently play without runner and am quite happy to not have to look out for another av7 player (only witches, blitzes and linos, no runners, no assassins)

My 2 cents

Reason: ''
rolo
Super Star
Super Star
Location: Paradise Stadium, where the pitch is green and the cheerleaders are pretty.

Post by rolo »

I tested my theory out at Ghostbowl this past weekend:

Ghostbowl's format is, 1100k to spend, 3 regular skills on day 1, 2 regular skills and a double on day 2. I like skilling Blitzers, Witches need Block or Wrestle from day 1 to be effective, and I needed a dodge runner to test this theory out. So with only six skills to play with, I cut down to one Witch. My final roster:

4 Blitzers
1 Witch
1 Runner
5 Lineelves
2 Rerolls
1 Apoth
1 FF

I gave the Witch Wrestle, and two Blitzers Dodge on day 1. Day 2, the remaining two Blitzers got Dodge and Guard, while the Runner got Dodge.

tl;dr: On day 1, with a rookie Runner, I went 1-1-1. But then on day 2, with a Dodge runner, I ended up going 1-1-1.

more details: Dodge on the runner is super. It really enhances his mobility and several times kept him on his feet. Five players on the field with Dodge is a lot for an opponent to deal with (although if I'd ended playing against Oventa's dwarves, all that dodge would have looked pretty foolish).
Did I miss a third reroll/leader? Yeah, a bit. One of my losses would have been a tie if I could have picked up the ball in a tackle zone on a 3+ (and then dodging on a 2+ with Dodge). Then again, I ended up dodging with the runner plenty, with and without the ball, and while I might not have rerolled (or taken) all those dodges otherwise, I feel like it's a net win. And of course a 3+ pickup is no guarantee even with a RR ... the reason I was in that situation was that the turn before, I burned a reroll on double ones to go for it for the score. Such is Blood Bowl ...
One thing which ended up being ineffective was my apothecary. My thinking was, I'm spending 50k to keep an otherwise badly hurt or KO player, possibly with a skill. No matter who that is, any player is worth more than 50k. In practice I ended up either holding on to the apoth too long, or failing to restore seriously injured players. A necromantic team killed my Guard and while I did manage to prevent him from turning into a new zombie, he didn't return to the game. I would definitely have gotten more utility out of a third reroll than the apoth, at least the way the dice fell in my games.

So Dodge or Leader on that runner? I'm not sure there is an unambiguously correct answer. If you take it and it works, it was the right choice. Just one out of so many economic decisions you need to make.

"It's 2+ and I have a reroll. Chill out. I've got this!"
RoterSternHochdahl
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by RoterSternHochdahl »

I stick with Leader on the Runner.

The use of the Apo is more some kind of discipline because it is so much different from his use in league play. I throw him on pretty much everything after turn 7

"Chess is two stoic soviet sleeper agents silently conducting 300 possibility calculations per second. Blood bowl is a game where a halfling makes a shepherds pie so you lose all your re rolls." (Thanks to nonumber)