Dark Elves in Resurrection Tourneys

Want to know how to beat your opponents, then get advice, or give advice here.

Moderators: Valen, TFF Mods

Runejack
Rookie
Rookie

Dark Elves in Resurrection Tourneys

Post by Runejack »

I used to be a long time reader here and never posted. Then my login was deleted ages ago and my isp blocked because of some spammer (I swear it wasn't me :p) I reckon I should try and post more about such a fun game!

I'm taking Dark Elves to a resurrection tournament next month and am keen to hear people's thoughts on my list ideas. This is only my second major tournament ever so if I seem a bit over enthused, it's probably because I'm getting ever so very excited about it! :lol: I've posted this on a couple other forums to try and get lots of ideas.

Here are the lists I’m thinking about.
Requirements: 1250k, non-doubles skills only for 20k and max 1 per player, 0-2 star players
After previous discussion and my own thoughts, I’ve all but ruled out a 12 elf roster in favour of 11 players, an apoth and an extra skill. I’d be interested in hearing thoughts on a better roster with 12 players!

1 Witch Elf, 4 Blitzers, 1 Runner, 5 Line-elves, 2 rerolls, 1 apoth, 8 skills
Leader would be a given on the runner as 2 rerolls is too few in my opinion for Dark Elves. Most likely Wrestle on the Witch for the best chance at knocking down ball carriers. This leaves 6 skills. I could give each Blitzer a skill and two line-elves. This leaves 3 unskilled for the line of scrimmage to start. Top Blitzer skill thoughts would be between Dodge, Tackle, Leap, Sidestep, Strip Ball and Dauntless. Should any of these be auto includes? Top skills for the line-elves would be Dodge, Block, Kick, Wrestle, Sidestep and Fend ... and on the outside sneaky git or dirty player. I’ve never, ever liked fouling with Dark Elves and an 11 player line up though. I’m not sure the bonus of being more likely to get opponents off the pitch outweighs the likelihood of losing your own guy. I’d be very keen to hear thoughts on this!

2 Witch Elves, 4 Blitzers, 1 Runner, 4 Line-elves, 2 rerolls, 1 apoth, 6 skills
This list exchanges a Line-Elf and 2 skills for a Witch Elf. As well, I couldn’t conceive of taking a Witch Elf without a skill-up. This means Wrestle on one, most likely Block on the other, and Leader once again on the Runner. This means only 3 skills to spread to the rest of the team (most likely blitzers, or do these need to be spread out?) Pros: This makes it less painful if a Witch Elf goes down and makes the sidelines even more dangerous. As well, it’s arguably the best player on the squad; why not go 2 if you can? Cons: This is another expensive AV7 player to protect (albeit a blodger). There is only 1 blitz a turn so often this extra player will be assisting or just positioning. Getting the Witch Elf loses some diversity on the team with only the 3 skills left to pass around.

2 Witch Elves, 4 Blitzers, 1 Runner, 4 Line-elves, 3 rerolls, 6 skills
Giving up the apoth for a reroll means the runner can take Nerves of Steel, but the team becomes slightly more fragile with no one on the bench and no apoth for a badly hurt or 50% chance to recover a worse result.

1 Witch Elf, 4 Blitzers, 2 Runners, 4 Line-elves, 2 rerolls, 1 apoth, 7 skills, 1 FF (or coach or cheerleader)
The purpose of this roster would be to still be able to take a NoS Runner, but have the Leader as well (or conceivably 2 NoS runners and risk 2 rerolls for the game) This would leave 4 skills to distribute between Blitzers and Line-Elves (3/1 in my opinion). This list to me seems quite weak compared to the others. There’s potential in the 2 NoS runners, but it just seems like too much of a 1 trick pony. I’d even consider dropping a Witch Elf or a Blitzer to make this a bit stronger ... and that already has me cringing!

4 Blitzers, 2 Runners, 5 Line-elves, 3 rerolls, 1 apoth, 7 skills
All out offense, no Witch Elf in the safety roll. *cringe*

The first 3 lists seem the strongest to me. I’d love to hear people’s thoughts and opinions, and responses to the in-line questions above!

Thanks!

Joel

Reason: ''
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Re: Dark Elves in Resurrection Tourneys

Post by Smeborg »

I have not played DEs in a tourney yet, but I have considered doing so, especially in a skill-rich format. I have the following suggestions:

- Take 2 WEs and 4 Blitzers and at least 6 skills for at least 6 Blodge/Wrodge players (few teams can compare).

- Apoth seems a good option for this expensive team, giving you an extra skill.

- Take Wrestle on both WEs (Wrestle is never wasted in tourneys, unlike Tackle).

- Taking a Runner for Leader seems quite a good option.

Hope that helps.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Runejack
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Runejack »

Smeborg wrote:I have not played DEs in a tourney yet, but I have considered doing so, especially in a skill-rich format. I have the following suggestions:

- Take 2 WEs and 4 Blitzers and at least 6 skills for at least 6 Blodge/Wrodge players (few teams can compare).

- Apoth seems a good option for this expensive team, giving you an extra skill.
- Taking a Runner for Leader seems quite a good option.

Hope that helps.
With the lineups I've listed, that would mean 2 rerolls and no leader, or losing the apoth which you indicated was a good idea. Would you have an alternate list to recommend?
Smeborg wrote:- Take Wrestle on both WEs (Wrestle is never wasted in tourneys, unlike Tackle).
I have considered this. I also think having one with block has it's advantages. Tough call.

Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Drop the Apoth, then. Regarding Wrestle on the WEs, you have no shortage of Block, but you have no Tackle. Therefore you are likely to struggle against Blodge teams, or in an end of half scramble (no RRs left) when you are trying to bring down a ball-carrier with Block. One WE is relatively easy to take out, two not. J-Up combines very well with Wrestle.

Smeborg the Fleshless
besters
Ex-Mega Star, now just a Super Star

Post by besters »

I haven't played Dark Elves very often in tournaments but I would go with your second option, possibly dropping a skill for an assassin.

Runejack
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Runejack »

Smeborg wrote:Drop the Apoth, then. Regarding Wrestle on the WEs, you have no shortage of Block, but you have no Tackle. Therefore you are likely to struggle against Blodge teams, or in an end of half scramble (no RRs left) when you are trying to bring down a ball-carrier with Block. One WE is relatively easy to take out, two not. J-Up combines very well with Wrestle.
So you'd go,
2 x WE with Wrestle
4 x Blitzer with Dodge,
1 x runner no skills
4 x line elves no skills
3 x rerolls

No tackle, no kick, no NoS, no leap, no sidestep, and no strip ball. 6 blodger/wrodgers though. Very interesting. I'm keen to hear some more ideas!
besters wrote:I haven't played Dark Elves very often in tournaments but I would go with your second option, possibly dropping a skill for an assassin.
I certainly hadn't considered an Assassin in any of my lineups. Would you be fine with a barebones Assassin, or would he require a skill in your lineup? I only ask because suddenly you'd be looking at 110k for a 6 mv, 7 av stab/shadower with ... jump up? wrestle? leap? dodge?

besters

Post by besters »

Last time I played a tournament I finished 2 - 3 - 1 with a vanilla assassin, memorable for his KO'ing a Treeman with stab!

I tend to put block / wrestle on Witch Elves, dodge or guard, if available, on Blitzers, and tend to leave other players to fend for themselves.

I think like all elves the emphasis is on keeping players on the pitch.

Da_Great_MC
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Da_Great_MC »

2 Witch Elves (2x Wrestle), 4 Blitzers (4x Dodge), 5 Line-elves, 2 rerolls, 1 apoth, 6 skills, 1 fan

Never mind the Runner. With AV7 and no skills to protect him, he's your weakest link.

Good luck 8)

Never forget Bologna

- Da Great MC has Dutchies for breakfast -
Runejack
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Runejack »

Da_Great_MC wrote:2 Witch Elves (2x Wrestle), 4 Blitzers (4x Dodge), 5 Line-elves, 2 rerolls, 1 apoth, 6 skills, 1 fan

Never mind the Runner. With AV7 and no skills to protect him, he's your weakest link.

Good luck 8)
Thanks! The runner's use is in the leader skill. 90k for a reroll and a line elf with +1mv and -1 av isn't too bad a bargain.

Da_Great_MC
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Da_Great_MC »

True, but if you don't give Leader (like me), there is no use in taking a Runner.

Never forget Bologna

- Da Great MC has Dutchies for breakfast -
Smeborg
Legend
Legend

Post by Smeborg »

Da_Great_MC wrote:True, but if you don't give Leader (like me), there is no use in taking a Runner.
Agreed. In tourneys the Runner is just a leader caddy.

Smeborg the Fleshless
Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

Da_Great_MC wrote:2 Witch Elves (2x Wrestle), 4 Blitzers (4x Dodge), 5 Line-elves, 2 rerolls, 1 apoth, 6 skills, 1 fan

Good luck 8)
i do agree with this roster, 4 DE blitzers with dodge is more powerfull than a big guy.
You will probably not need rerolls since most of your blocks will have block or wrestle, and most of your dodges will be with the dodge skill. Only bad point would be if you face dwarfs (or chaos dwarfs).

Concerning the assassin i do field him if and only if i can put dodge on him otherwise he will just spend the game in the KO box.

Runejack
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Runejack »

Thank you for the feedback! Here's where I'm at so far.

List one:

4 Blitzers (3 Dodge)
2 Witch elves (Block and Wrestle)
1 Runner (leader)
4 Line Elves
2 Rerolls
1 Apothecary

List two:

4 Blitzers (3 Dodge and 1 Tackle, Leap, or more Dodge)
2 Witch Elves (Wrestle/Block and Wrestle)
5 Line Elves
3 Rerolls
1 Fan Factor

List Three:

4 Blitzers (2 Dodge, Tackle or Dodge, Strip Ball or Dodge)
1 Witch Elf (Wrestle)
1 Runner (Leader)
5 Line Elves (Kick/Block and Dodge)
2 Rerolls
1 Apothecary

I just can't see playing in a tournament with less than 3 rerolls using Dark Elves. Am I being silly?

I like the utility of 8 skills on an 11 player roster like list three shows. I also like the idea of 5-6 blodger/wrodgers. Which one wins out? 1, 2, 3 or 4) none of the above??

Elyoukey
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Elyoukey »

my vote would go for your list two.
with 4 dodges on blitzer and wrestle on both witches
this make the same threat cover all the pitch: there will always be a blitzer at range to punish a ball carrier or to go and score wherever the ball lands

+everybody is expendable, you don't have to protect a specific AV7 player carrying the ball and a reroll.

+since it is only your 2nd tournament, having a monochromatic list will save your head from learning how to use your own players and will let all your brain free to handle the opponents complexity

Runejack
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Runejack »

Elyoukey wrote:my vote would go for your list two.
with 4 dodges on blitzer and wrestle on both witches
this make the same threat cover all the pitch: there will always be a blitzer at range to punish a ball carrier or to go and score wherever the ball lands

+everybody is expendable, you don't have to protect a specific AV7 player carrying the ball and a reroll.

+since it is only your 2nd tournament, having a monochromatic list will save your head from learning how to use your own players and will let all your brain free to handle the opponents complexity
That not having to protect one player is an interesting point. It's good when everyone is expendable.

For the record, while it's only my second major tournament, I have played BloodBowl off and on for 18+ years. It's only understanding what to expect in a tournament, and what tools are best to take that I'm still learning.

Keep the good advice coming!