Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Tojurub
Super Star
Super Star

Re: Remembrance Day

Post by Tojurub »

lunchmoney wrote:
babass wrote:
lunchmoney wrote: If your UK opponent (or anyone, for that matter) requests a 2 minute silence at 11:00 please respect that.
And what about if your opponent (at the time) is german/austrian/turk/(whoelse had a grandpa who lived in a country which lose that war) ?
What has that got to do with it? It is about remembering all those have fallen, regardless of which side they fought for, regardless of nationality, regardless of everything.
And for your reference Germany holds their day of remembrance in August, Austria observes remembrance on the same day as the UK as does Turkey.
We do? :o

Ever since I was born and raised in Germany I don't remember any remembrance in any month. We only get annual reminders on May 8, September 1, November 10 about what bad things have happened 60-70 years ago. But only for politicians and the media this is important. I don't know any German who takes even a single minute of silence to observe the fallen in any war. For us it's a simple equation: war=bad thing=don't let that happen again! ...and then Germany is in the top 3 nations selling the most weapons to other countries :-?

Anyway, if any oppenent asks for a minute of silence (or two), I'll respect that and shut up myself.

edit: small correction: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkstrauertag
Second Sunday before 1st Advent (mid November)

Reason: ''
Nuffle Sucks! Heretic, NBA
www.biboba.de
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Tojurub wrote:
I very quickly sourced info from internetz. Apologies if it's wrong.

The point is some people, like myself, like to show a mark of respect and observe the 2 minute silence. This wasn't supposed to do turn into a debate about whether one person or country follows the same observances or not. (And if the Spanish Inquisition puns could stop also, that would be nice).
Tojurub wrote:Anyway, if any oppenent asks for a minute of silence (or two), I'll respect that and shut up myself.
Thank you :)

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Hawk
Star Player
Star Player

Post by Hawk »

lunchmoney wrote:
Tojurub wrote:
I very quickly sourced info from internetz. Apologies if it's wrong.

The point is some people, like myself, like to show a mark of respect and observe the 2 minute silence. This wasn't supposed to do turn into a debate about whether one person or country follows the same observances or not. (And if the Spanish Inquisition puns could stop also, that would be nice).
Tojurub wrote:Anyway, if any oppenent asks for a minute of silence (or two), I'll respect that and shut up myself.
Thank you :)

Being half German myself and also being a big supporter of the poppy appeal & rememberence, I will be observing the silence and will not be concerned with winners and losers or causing offence...... I will stand shoulder to shoulder with my fellow man or in the corner on my own.... But it will happen :)

Cake Bowl league
Winner: Exiles V, ExeBowl 1 , Auldworld masters
Runner up: Crumb bowl 2, Vault Bowl 2013, Crumb bowl 3, Cakebowl 5, Bunker Bowl IV, AWM 11
lunchmoney
Legend
Legend

Post by lunchmoney »

Thank you.

Hired Goon for the NAF (rep for South West England)
lunchmoneybb@gmail.com

TOs! You do not need multiple copies of rosters. It's a waste of paper.
Bribe level: good coffee.
#FlingNation find me on page 95
Valen
Walking on the beaches...

Post by Valen »

I have to say that was much appreciated for the two minute silence, brought a lump to my throat, thank you all.

I'm coming at you with razor blades and lemon juice... I'm talkin' pain, boy. Searing, mind-numbing pain!!!
Tojurub
Super Star
Super Star

Post by Tojurub »

I was amazed that we almost had a dead silence in the whole venue as we hit 12 noon that day.

Nuffle Sucks! Heretic, NBA
www.biboba.de