Halfling Chef

All discusions for the upcoming NAF BB World Cup should be discussed here

Moderators: lunchmoney, TFF Mods

Old Man Draco
Monkey Spanker

Halfling Chef

Post by Old Man Draco »

Hi,

I played the ruleset of the World Cup at the Dutch Open. Halflings were not allowed to have a chef.

I really want to advise you to allow to let the halflings have a chef, because without a chef, there is hardly any fun for them left.

Just my two cents.

Reason: ''
Stunty King of Lutèce Bowl 2006!:lol:

Owner of a "Deputy Dook Badge"
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Post by GalakStarscraper »

Already tried Draco to say the same thing and was shot down. I mentioned it was wierd to me that an event where teams need to have different races on the team would encourage a ruleset that basically eliminates one of the 21 teams to choose from.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

To be honest, given the nature of the team event, I didn't really forsee many coaches that'd be happy to be on a team of 6 that contain tier 3 teams. After all, it's gonna pretty much irradicate any chance of doing well in the team standings (we don't see stunties at the eurobowl for that very reason), so I didn't consider it as an issue.

More opinions please...

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
Old Man Draco
Monkey Spanker

Post by Old Man Draco »

To me the main point of going to a tournament is having fun. Winning is not important. The look on the face of an opponent when he looses his rerolls or when his mummy gets killed by a thrown fling is what really counts for me. I'm even gonna try flings at streetbowl! :D

Woody, there will always be players that want to play for fun. even if there will be no halfling team present at the World Cup, that should not mean you should deny them their only weapon beforehand.

Northernknight
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Northernknight »

WHAT! Wales was going to be entirely Halfling!!! Now what do we do?
:lol:

hoomin_erra
Leek chewing thread Necromancer

Post by hoomin_erra »

Drink!!

A weirdo in a Bowler hat and a Kilt!!!!!
[url=http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb/index.php?mforum=teamscotlandbb/]Scotland's BB Forum[/url]

Lucifer is Broken!!!!
Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

Is Valen Welsh now?

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
hoomin_erra
Leek chewing thread Necromancer

Post by hoomin_erra »

Well, there have been comments on similarities between him and whales, so i suppose he could be!! :wink:

A weirdo in a Bowler hat and a Kilt!!!!!
[url=http://www.createforum.com/teamscotlandbb/index.php?mforum=teamscotlandbb/]Scotland's BB Forum[/url]

Lucifer is Broken!!!!
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

Deathwing wrote:To be honest, given the nature of the team event, I didn't really forsee many coaches that'd be happy to be on a team of 6 that contain tier 3 teams. After all, it's gonna pretty much irradicate any chance of doing well in the team standings (we don't see stunties at the eurobowl for that very reason), so I didn't consider it as an issue.

More opinions please...
I do agree that not many would be happy ... but Draco voiced my thoughts.

Not allowing the Master Chef pretty much eliminates allowing a coach that was even considering it from doing so.

At a minimum ... (just my two cents) ... I would have allowed Halfling to bring the Chef and for Goblins to bring Bribes. This would give the Stunty players some ammo to actually be a little competitive ... without these tools though you really have deleted (in my opinion) these 2 rosters completely from the event.

Galak

Impact! - Fantasy Football miniatures and supplies designed by gamers for gamers
Old Man Draco
Monkey Spanker

Post by Old Man Draco »

I second the previous post.

As stated before. It does not matter if people choose the roster of halflings or goblins. It matters that if chosen, that at least have a minor chance. This is deprived of them if the chef (or the bribes) are not allowed.

Podfrey
Bum Monkey

Post by Podfrey »

Please can any budding future rules writers not hide behind the tier 1/tier 2/tier 3 cop-out and make all teams equally competetive in the rules.

As for the "World" Cup, please can someone decide on what it's meant to be and stick with it. Is it meant to be competetive (i.e. no halflings, etc) as suggested by Woody (above) or is it meant to be a celebration of BB, all it has to offer and a chance for a massive get-together of coaches for a jolly good social time as originally suggested?

Confused of oop-north :?:

Deathwing
The Voice of Reason

Post by Deathwing »

lucifer wrote:
As for the "World" Cup, please can someone decide on what it's meant to be and stick with it. Is it meant to be competetive (i.e. no halflings, etc) as suggested by Woody (above) or is it meant to be a celebration of BB, all it has to offer and a chance for a massive get-together of coaches for a jolly good social time as originally suggested?

Confused of oop-north :?:
It's 'meant' to be both Geoff, they aren't mutally exclusive (in my tournament experience anyway!). And despite the inevitable dissenters/critics, the vast majority of feedback we've recieved from the community has been positive.

The format is there and will be 'stuck' with, getting back to the topic at hand, what's under discussion here is a possible minor tweak under consideration pending public opinion and discussion.

"Deathwing treats newcomers like sh*t"
"...the brain dead Mod.."
GalakStarscraper
Godfather of Blood Bowl

lucifer wrote:Please can any budding future rules writers not hide behind the tier 1/tier 2/tier 3 cop-out and make all teams equally competetive in the rules.
Its not a cop-out IMO and NO we fully plan to continue to do this. Sorry. There is a definite place in league play for the 3 tiers of teams. It just means when you run an event you have to make a decision of whether you want those teams to be able to compete or not ... to me I don't care either way.

For the Chaos Cup ... we allowed all inducements and we had Stunty teams show up.

If the World Cup chooses not to do so ... THAT IS FINE!!!! It just that you are opening and knowlingly removing the chance that folks would bring a stunty team. That isn't a bad thing at all. But its a call that you have to make.

I honestly have no problems if the World Cup rules are left alone ... but it does mean that I agree with Draco that he needs a team other than Flings.

The 3 Tiers keep league play fun and interesting ... so we have ZERO intention of removing that aspect of the game. It just is a basic element that anyone putting together a tournament needs to handle in whatever manner they choose and I don't care what they choose as long as they know they made the choice.

So if Deathwing honestly said ... we wanted this to be a serious competition ... so no we didn't post the 2 main Stunty teams ... that's fine. If he was more of the mind set of ... we wanted this to be a massive fun get together of the BB community .. then they need to most likely throw a bone to the stunties a bit.

Again I don't care ... but lucifer this isn't a problem with team design or the rules. Its a basic element that BB rules are written with touranments as their main element for balance OR fun.

Galak

Darkson
Da Spammer

Post by Darkson »

lucifer wrote:Please can any budding future rules writers not hide behind the tier 1/tier 2/tier 3 cop-out and make all teams equally competetive in the rules.
Or lets not.
I don't want to see Halfling or Goblin teams winnig with great regularity, nor (really) have a chance at winning a big tournament.

I can't see why having a design goal (some teams are extremely hard to win with[tier 3] and some more difficult than others [tier 2]), and balancing teams towards said goal is a "cop out"?
Sounds more like designers actually giving what they promised.

Currently an ex-Blood Bowl coach, most likely to be found dying to Armoured Skeletons in the frozen ruins of Felstad, or bleeding into the arena sands of Rome or burning rubber for Mars' entertainment.
Ryan
Emerging Star
Emerging Star

Post by Ryan »

I will say this even if they don't allow Flings to by a Master Chef I will still be bringing mine to the World Cup this year. So regardless of the rules set there will be at least 1 Stunty around to show you how its done

Strength 1 Halflings with Block will Rock your world